ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Creaky clutch pedal

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
As others - mine does it when it gets warm. It hardly ever does it during winter, unless I've taken it out on a decent A-road blat.

I've removed the airbox and WD'd the cable and stuff, but it's only a short-term fix and comes back eventually. I suspect most of the problem lies in the way the cable has to navigate half way around the engine bay for the right-hand drive version. I'd guess that the left-hooker RS Clios don't get this problem, or certainly not as bad? If they did, can you imagine how bad the clutch pedal action would be in warmer countries?

D.

"Navy" N17 TWO
I was spraying some WD40 in around the joints of the actual pedal itself and it "sort-of" went away for a while.

Am I spraying the wrong part lol ?

S3, Polo
Re: Clutch pedal makes noise :-(

I had the same thing
Spray some WD40 on your clutch cable - that sorted mine out on Wednesday night and it's been fine so far :)

Please don't spray WD40 or any oil-based substance on a nylon cable! It will rot it - over time - and make it worse!

You need silicone lubricant and you need to lube both ends (behind the pedal, where the cable passes through a grommet in the bulkhead and under the airbox).

Once you have the airbox out, unclip the cable from the clutch actuator and push/ pull it in and out whilst lubing it (fnarr, fnarr! :) ).

It should help, but the lube needs to be thin enough to pass down the cable. I have put a blob of silicone grease on each end too, for good measure.

The problem is that once a cable is creaking, it's passed the point of no return and will probably need re-lubing every few thousand miles to keep it tip-top.

I plan to replace mine after all of the other $hit on mine is sorted (aux belt next week, passenger door solenoid after that, etc, etc - - - LOL) just to be done with it!

HTH.

Last edited:
  Racing blue 182 turbo :-)
I assume thats not easy to do?
Iv never tryed without taking box off. I always leave it an do it when i have it off. Mine was like that for a year so and greased it, its been fine ever since. Well till i put a new box on an it started again lol

"Navy" N17 TWO
Apparently it takes Renault "about an hour" to change the cable, quoted £50 for the job - is that good?

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
not the cable guys. just changed my clutch and the noise is gone. but it still present if I press slowly the pedal, but a lot less than before, the thing is, the fork is rubbing on the release bearing, and that's what I suspect is the main problem. I'm not saying that sometimes the cable is the problem but I think this issue is generally caused by the friction between fork/bearing/pressure plate. After a day of driving with the new clutch the squeak slowly appeared as said above, even if I greased the elements with copper based grease :( will post a few photos to see how mine looked like

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
mine had this problem i put a shitty cheap ass clutch in took that out and put a renault one in and now its gone :)