ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Creaky clutch pedal

"Navy" N17 TWO
My clutch pedal is making a loud creaking/squeeking noise when you press/depress it :S

Any ideas what it could be?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Cable is only £21 ish, will be a b*****d to do the first time you do it lol.

Didn't fix my creak though.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Cable improves it for sure, but the ultimate fix is something else. IIRC, it's the clutch release bearing............... Both my 172's had this issue.

Where did you order the clutch cable from?

Mine is making a similar noise and wouldnt mind giving this a go to see if it solves it.

Golf GTD Mk7
Cable is only £21 ish, will be a b*****d to do the first time you do it lol.

Didn't fix my creak though.

Same, had mine changed at renault. Was fine until I got some heat in the engine bay. Mine only creeks though when i've been for a very spirited drive. Not sure where the creeking comes from, but i presume it's the cable rubbing on something.

you can see it when you remove the airbox so follow it back to the bulk head and grease it where contact is made i guess.

53 Clio's & counting
Same, had mine changed at renault. Was fine until I got some heat in the engine bay. Mine only creeks though when i've been for a very spirited drive. Not sure where the creeking comes from, but i presume it's the cable rubbing on something.

you can see it when you remove the airbox so follow it back to the bulk head and grease it where contact is made i guess.

iv found this too, over the past few years, after a track day or a good long drive my clutch starts creaking, a good lubing up (ooh err) solves it till the ebgine bay gets hot again lol

"Navy" N17 TWO
Was on a spirited drive last night & this-morning - only really noticed it after that TBH so the heat has probably wore away some lube by the sounds of things (going by above comments)

I'll have it checked when I'm fitting other bits soon and see what way it goes :)

Clio 182
Clutch pedal makes noise :-(

hey peeps,

ive recently had a problem with my clutch pedal after driving it for around 40 mins, there becomes a slight scratching noise and feeling when i put my foot down on the clutch. it first started after i was giving it a bit of welly and crunched my gears, when the car is parked up for around a hour it stops... can anyone help me??? its a 54 plate 182, with 30,000 on the clock. thanks.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Re: Clutch pedal makes noise :-(

I had the same thing
Spray some WD40 on your clutch cable - that sorted mine out on Wednesday night and it's been fine so far :)

"Navy" N17 TWO
Sprayed some WD40 on the cable, well what you can see of it in the bay and above the pedals.

Seems to have done the trick :)

Golf GTD Mk7
if you remove the air box you should be able to get to part of it. If you remove the bottom engine cover, you should be able to see it also

SQ5
My pedal creaks like mad after being on a trackday, I just put it down to excessive use and warmth

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Hardest part for me was removing the clip from behind the pedal, that bit took me 2 hours lol.

Rest about an hour.

Clio 172 MK2
this creaky sound can get really annoying (especially while being stuck on traffic), all i can say is that replacing the cable cured the noise for about a week and the noise came back twice as annoying !
ill try the WD40 trick, see if it'll help...

"Navy" N17 TWO
Still no cure for this? :( For the above reason ^ I don't fancy replacing the cable.

Creaking was really bad for most of today driven 140 miles - long drives & some spirited blasts included
There's only 36k on my car too

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Still no cure for this? :( For the above reason ^ I don't fancy replacing the cable.

Creaking was really bad for most of today driven 140 miles - long drives & some spirited blasts included
There's only 36k on my car too

Mike@Rentech re-greased mine ages ago, it hasn't creaked since :)

"Navy" N17 TWO
Easy to access, where abouts can you get at it to grease it up (guessing it's as simple as find & spray)

I sprayed some grease on it about a month ago from what I could see by peering into the bay but I've probably missed loads of it lol

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Easy to access, where abouts can you get at it to grease it up (guessing it's as simple as find & spray)

I sprayed some grease on it about a month ago from what I could see by peering into the bay but I've probably missed loads of it lol

I tried the WD-40 method, and it worked for about 30-40 miles and then once hot the creaking returned :(

You need to get to the cable, god knows how :eek:

Racing blue 182 turbo :-)
Mine creaks alot, on mine its the knuckle that is in the center of the clutch release arm. They get dry which causes friction hence the creaking.

PH1 172 Sport
Mine creaks alot, on mine its the knuckle that is in the center of the clutch release arm. They get dry which causes friction hence the creaking.

Thats what mine is, any idea what to put on it to stop it drying out? Its quite a tight space to get too and I wary of getting grease on the clutch plate.

Racing blue 182 turbo :-)
Thats what mine is, any idea what to put on it to stop it drying out? Its quite a tight space to get too and I wary of getting grease on the clutch plate.
White grease, its pritty easy to get the straw nossel in there. its not the easyest of things to get too.