ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Creaking sound from around the sunroof

Liquid Yellow R27
When driving I keep getting this creaking sound. It's so irritating and I can hear it a bit over my music. It sounds as though it's coming from around the sunroof somewhere but I can't figure it out. If I hold my hand and put pressure on certain bits of the interior roof around the sunroof it seems to stop slightly.

Sorry it's a bit vague, but just wondering if anyone has had this before and what would be a good idea to go about fixing it?

Thanks in advance! :)

2014 Clio 200t edc
If I remember correctly if you wedge some foam (sponge etc) between the handle it should stop.
I did this with my 1.2 years ago and worked a treat!!

Liquid Yellow R27
Manual sunroof, if so then thats standard.

It's an electric sunroof. Didn't start doing it until 4 or 5 days ago, it's the most irritating sound in the world though lol.

If I remember correctly if you wedge some foam (sponge etc) between the handle it should stop.
I did this with my 1.2 years ago and worked a treat!!

It's electric, and there's not a handle. When I put pressure on certain bits it does seem to stop. Or if I give it a bit of a smack it stops for like 30 seconds then carrys on again.

SG9 Forester STi
I think it's just the joys of a sunroof. Be happy that yours doesn't leak as well as creak lol.

Liquid Yellow R27
I think it's just the joys of a sunroof. Be happy that yours doesn't leak as well as creak lol.
Haha, I just HAVE to solve it. Not sure I can actually live with that sound in my ear when driving for much longer lol. I WILL DEFEAT IT! :evil:

SG9 Forester STi
Mine only really creaks when Im going over bumpy ground..i.e. field car parks etc. it is annoying though so I don't blame you. Sounds like your shell is twisting!

Liquid Yellow R27
Mine only really creaks when Im going over bumpy ground..i.e. field car parks etc. it is annoying though so I don't blame you. Sounds like your shell is twisting!
Yeah possibly. It's doing it constantly when on the move now though, rather annoying. I wouldn't mind if I could drown it out with music, but because the creak is so close to my ear I always hear it, which drives me insane! When going over bumps I get this weird high pitched bouncing noise. As if I'm shaking a mouse or something. No idea what that is either lol.

Clio 200
my 1.2 does this, i find it only does it when its open tho?
not sure also my drivers side window seems to have a bit of a creak when its half open, im gunna ava ganders tomorrow see if i can fix them =)

Liquid Yellow R27
my 1.2 does this, i find it only does it when its open tho?
not sure also my drivers side window seems to have a bit of a creak when its half open, im gunna ava ganders tomorrow see if i can fix them =)

Yeah? Mine seems to do it when closed as well now. It started doing it when it was open and since closing it's carried on. If you find anything mate, give me a shout :)

Mine creaks on everything. Sounds like the roof is twisting when I come off my drive lol.

I've had it out and resealed as well, don't think there is much to do about it tbh, just a poor design.

Liquid Yellow R27
Get a louder stereo... :)
Haha! It's pretty loud as it is dude when on full volume. Just, I don't like having it cranked all the way up all of the time. My mate had some mad sound system installed in his Corsa and he was in hospital the other day because his ears were literally bleeding and became completely swollen due to the loudness of the bass. LOL!

Mine creaks on everything. Sounds like the roof is twisting when I come off my drive lol.

I've had it out and resealed as well, don't think there is much to do about it tbh, just a poor design.
Ah, bad times. Well hopefully I can figure something out. If not, then I will just have to go slowly insane and deal with it lol

Liquid Yellow R27
This is still driving me crazy. I've had a bit of the roof shell down around the sun roof. Tried putting a bit of foam in between it and still no luck. It's really doing my head in! It's like an almost constant creaking sound. Could it be the roof lining or could it be something else?

Nope, it'll be the the sunroof moving in the roof.

Leading up to it, or when the sunroof was open, did you hit anything or mount any kerbs at speed? You could of dislodged the casing.

Liquid Yellow R27
Nope, it'll be the the sunroof moving in the roof.

Leading up to it, or when the sunroof was open, did you hit anything or mount any kerbs at speed? You could of dislodged the casing.

Well it did all start when the sun roof was fully open if I remember right. I was also going down some hurrendous small country lane road with about a million pot holes as well. It was down-hill, but I was going dead slowly. Probably not even 5mph. Can't remember if I had the sun roof open at this point though. *thinks really hard*

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
Mine has just started doing this again recently after having my sunroof replaced about 3 or 4 years ago. It drives me mental, its not like it is a quiet noise that I can live with as its a huge CRACK noise.
It only started again after I opened my sunroof a few weeks back. Bloody thing!

Mine has just started doing this again recently after having my sunroof replaced about 3 or 4 years ago. It drives me mental, its not like it is a quiet noise that I can live with as its a huge CRACK noise.
It only started again after I opened my sunroof a few weeks back. Bloody thing!

Better get it sealed up or replaced again for winter. Last thing you want is wet seats and ice patches on your car mats ;)

Part own'd actually ;)

Fiat Panda FTW!

Then got my 1.2, had an accident and got another as a courtesy car! Nearly killing myself and the ex in it.

oft not good. I had an A reg Fiat Uno and one day found 3" of ice in the back of it. It got scrapped the week after

Jesus. My mum use to own a Fiat Uno and a Tipo back in the day when they came out.

How long ago did you get your sunroof done and who by? If its leaking/creaking is it still under warranty?

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
It was done by Renault Oldham (you know the one next to a certain speed camera ;)) It was done not long after I passed my test so about 5 years ago. It will never be under warranty now although I am thinking about kicking up a fuss with customer services, it may be worth a go.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
mine used to creak, the i got it sealed up and its perfect now. youll find that it will start leaking soon.

i used a local company (chorley), they did it for £110 i realy should dig out the business card they gave me because it was a brilliant service and a lifetime warranty/ guarantee!

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
I've learnt to put up with mine, had it for 2 years and lubing the handle only seems to cure it short term. As long as it ain't leaking it's no drama's really :)

It was done by Renault Oldham (you know the one next to a certain speed camera ;)) It was done not long after I passed my test so about 5 years ago. It will never be under warranty now although I am thinking about kicking up a fuss with customer services, it may be worth a go.

Ha! Still not heard anything from GMP about it ;)

Worth a shot, see what they say.

Lol true, I just have a bit of an OCD with rattle, squeaks and creaks. It drives me nuts.

My 1.2 only rattled from the sunroof, I've got 2 rattles in the T and cant find them! Annoying me so much, the dash is going to have to come out to find them!

I'll tell you now I'll never buy a car with a sunroof EVER again. Awful things.

mine used to creak, the i got it sealed up and its perfect now. youll find that it will start leaking soon.

i used a local company (chorley), they did it for £110 i realy should dig out the business card they gave me because it was a brilliant service and a lifetime warranty/ guarantee!

Seems strange they'd offer a lifetime guarantee on what is essentially a seal. They'll be bankrupt soon with people going back to them when the seal has perished.

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
My 1.2 only rattled from the sunroof, I've got 2 rattles in the T and cant find them! Annoying me so much, the dash is going to have to come out to find them!

I'll tell you now I'll never buy a car with a sunroof EVER again. Awful things.

It seems I have stopped it (for now) using the sponge method.
Oh don't get me started on the dash, when I installed my components I installed my crossovers under there. Guess what! They rattle like fook.
Bar those two things I am noise free.

You've certainly got the wrong car then.

Very helpful, cheers.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Seems strange they'd offer a lifetime guarantee on what is essentially a seal. They'll be bankrupt soon with people going back to them when the seal has perished.

http://www.sunroofrepairs.co.uk/

These are who did it, i got my sunroof resealed, a chip in my windscreen fixed and the windscreen resealed all for £135 (electric sunroof)

the guy who comes out is realy nice and if your not from around the local area (basically the NW) they will meet you at the trafford centre in the underground carpark and do it while you shop.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
yeh the website is horrible. i'm going to put a review up at the beginning of next year (give the sunroof proper time to get wet) however i stupidly didnt take any Before / during picks.

clio mk1 RSI
aah the memories , I had this in my old car and the same as you it went away when i pressed certain bits, I dont know what causes it infact i do FRENCHNESS, just wait for the others squeeks and rattles to start. anyway i noticied if i pressed the glass in the sunnroof up then it stopped so i just jammed 2 little solid gel air freshners between the glass and the space in the headliner and it worked a treat, infact i forgot all about it untill 1 of them feel out 1 day, they are sticky back got them from halfords .They look like a sweet and come in different smells n s**t. good luck, also open the sunroof fully and give the rubbers the glass sits on a good clean.

SG9 Forester STi
Mine now creaks loads and it leaks too. Meh, past caring as long as it doesn't drip on me it's all good :D.

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
Clios rattle, they rattle a lot. Get used to it because it'll do your head in more trying to stop it from rattling.

I have had the car a good 6 years with very minor rattles and they dont bother me to much. I have now stopped the sunroof rattling anyhow. Thank you for the lesson on Clio rattles :rasp: