ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Crashed car, worth breaking ?

Clio Dci 106 dynamic
Got a clio 1.2 16v 2001 and last night doing 40mph the car hit ice and span and ended up in the centre barrier but damage is frount bumper, left wing and airbags deployed just wondering if its worth braking or just scrap it also if anyone know the police said I may have to pay for the damage on the motorway to the rail do I or not because would really rather not report this to the insurance and keep my 1 year no claims will put up a pic of car if I get time

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
If you went into the barrier I'm pretty certain it will have to go through the insurance?

Listerine & Poledo
Just take the hit on insurance, especially if there's collateral damage that you'll be expected to suck up.

Fixing the car is probably going to cost more than buying another one anyway.

I had a similar quandry with my Toledo. Hit a deer, didn't want to screw my NCB's (4 years, not protected then) so did the repairs out of my pocket...until i went for a service and needed a new sump.

Instead of dropping £1500 on SEAT, it got chopped in for my first MX5

Clio Dci 106 dynamic
Police said the might might not because of wether but to be fair the barrier looks ok anyways I blame the gritter :)

Police said the might might not because of wether but to be fair the barrier looks ok anyways I blame the gritter :)

You blame the gritter for what?

Sigh, what is with people on CS now-a-days.

If the police were involved your insurance will likely know already, so by not telling them you'll be in the s**t for it.

Listerine & Poledo
OP, don't spread the blame, cars don't crash on their own accord.

Just get your insurers on the phone. In 5 years none of this will matter.

Clio Dci 106 dynamic
Only thing is I'm getting a new car this weekend and did have plans To swap insurance over till I save up for the full one if it goes threw insurance is my car still insured till may when it runs out

Listerine & Poledo
Only thing is I'm getting a new car this weekend and did have plans To swap insurance over till I save up for the full one if it goes threw insurance is my car still insured till may when it runs out

wut?

I dont understand what you're saying.

If your insurance is paid until may, then they will likely transfer the policy, subject to an admin fee and any extra imposed by the new vehicle.

In May, however, you will likely get dry bummed.

Clio Dci 106 dynamic
It's like what I ment is if I claim on insurance does that end it or does it still contino until the end also btw I was joking about grittier yeh it was my fault chill guys :)

phase 1 flamer 172
Depends how much you thought your car was worth pre accident, if its only worth a few hundred dont claim because your insurance is sure to go up more than that. Wouldnt have though you,ll get much by breaking it but obviously i have no idea if you,ll have a claim made against you for damage to the barriers.

182 Turbo
Don't claim on it if you don't have to, if police are saying you don't have to then don't. It's a f**king barrier which you probably paid for allready through your taxes. Don't let insurance rape you because of it.
Id be saying the complete opposite if you had hit another car, don't give insurance companies more money the greedy c***s.

Listerine & Poledo
Don't claim on it if you don't have to, if police are saying you don't have to then don't. It's a f**king barrier which you probably paid for allready through your taxes. Don't let insurance rape you because of it.
Id be saying the complete opposite if you had hit another car, don't give insurance companies more money the greedy c**ts.

with 1 years NCB, I'm going out on a limb to suggest the OP hasn't been paying taxes for very long.

But yes, claim. Keep it all official.

Clio Dci 106 dynamic
Ok so some guy just offers me £200 for my car took his number but plan is if I get billed il do it threw insurance if not no loss switch insure to new car and alls good but one more question I have nc protection so will I lose no claim and have to declare accident on next policy

Clio Dci 106 dynamic
image.jpg

182 Turbo
with 1 years NCB, I'm going out on a limb to suggest the OP hasn't been paying taxes for very long.

But yes, claim. Keep it all official.

Although you may be right, what a silly assumption to make. No claims bonus hasn't got anything to do with how long you've worked. There's people who've worked for years before they even take there test.

Listerine & Poledo
Judging by their inability to spell, use grammar, drive AND the 1yr NCB, I think I'm right.

But thanks for pointing out the extremely obvious.

182 Turbo
Judging by their inability to spell, use grammar, drive AND the 1yr NCB, I think I'm right.

But thanks for pointing out the extremely obvious.

Ever thought he might be using a smart device like an iPhone that likes to f**k your grammar up?
or maybe he's just not a grammar hero like you, last time i checked its a car forum not an English gcse test.
and he said he hit ice, I wouldn't call that an innability to drive, haven't you ever hit ice and lost control of the car?

probably not I suppose. You're tommi makinen as well as Steven hawking.

Nissan 350z
Dont claim, keep it on the DL. Dont pay more than you should, Insurance is a f**ker as it is. IMO.

Seriously? lol

OP if you claim it doesn't end your insurance there and then it will continue for the full duration regardless. Work out how much your car would sell for if it was repaired and back to normal and then work out how much profit this would give you. You already said some guy will offer you £200 for it damaged, but repaired could you get £1200 for example? Do you think claiming would increase your insurance by more than £1000? If not you still walk away better off after claiming :)

Black 172
The Highways Agency are entitled to lodge a claim against you for damages to their property as the damage was caused by your negligence.

In the same way if you hit the wall outside my house I would claim against you. Thats why legally you must have third-party insurance.

If the Highways Agency are negligent for not gritting the road, there is a liability dispute - which is where your insurance will come in handy.

Check the wording of your insurance policy - is it a T&C of the policy that you must report any accidents/incidents?

Check also if they will cancel your policy as a result of the vehicle being written off.

And finally next year, answer the question you are asked 'Have you been involved in any accidents, claims or losses in the last 5 years?' The answer is yes regardless if you claimed or not.

If you can get £200 for your car as it is, weigh up that the insurer may offer you £1000 less your policy excess of say £500 = £500, plus your premium is likely to incease by lets say £200 next year and £100 the year after. = £200.