ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Couple of videos from combe action day of my turbo 172

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Relatively steady session, was only really bedding my new brakes in and having a bit of a shakedown but still managed to make reasonable progress, chopped the vid in half as the session was red flagged and we sat on the line of ages which im sure wont interest anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Oh and love the overtake on the 200sx ;)

The one just before 3:50 on the first video?

Hopefully thats not one Tony will rap my knuckles for, lol, seemed like fair game to me, I knew I had far more grip and power than him so I hung back and turned in deliberately very late so that as soon as he was past the apex i could cleanly get past him.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah that one

Was it a "love the overtake" in that you thought it was actually ok, or were you being sarcastic, im rubbish at working out such things just from a wink on the end of a sentance, lol.

Mick, gutted to have missed you, didnt realise you were going!

You back down again for FCS?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
i'll be there awaiting my pint!

Nice one mate, I certainly owe you one with all the help you have given me with parts for this car with its weird and wonderful combination of 172 and 197 engine bits making things more complicated etc!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Was it a "love the overtake" in that you thought it was actually ok, or were you being sarcastic, im rubbish at working out such things just from a wink on the end of a sentance, lol.

Mick, gutted to have missed you, didnt realise you were going!

You back down again for FCS?

No not sarcastic matey

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Thanks Andy, yes I think at this level of power in a FWD car its silly not to have an LSD if possible really, it does make a huge difference on the exit of bends to how soon you can start dialling the power in.

182cup & 172 racecar
The one just before 3:50 on the first video?

Hopefully thats not one Tony will rap my knuckles for, lol, seemed like fair game to me, I knew I had far more grip and power than him so I hung back and turned in deliberately very late so that as soon as he was past the apex i could cleanly get past him.

Na, that one's fine, didn't like the one earlier though.

Countryman JCW
Very good mate! that impreza in the first video did look a little nippy... easily caught/overtaken?

Any other good battles whilst you were there?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Very good mate! that impreza in the first video did look a little nippy... easily caught/overtaken?

He was relatively easy to get past, I was being very gentle to begin with as was fist time out on the new brakes, once I decided I wanted to pass though it wasnt too much trouble to do so.
Not a lot in it, but my car was definately capable of going quicker than him both on the straights and in the bends.

Any other good battles whilst you were there?

There was a striker racecar that caught me up and would have passed me if it wasnt for the chequered flag.
Other than that, everything else on track I passed pretty easily TBH, oh there was an evo racecar that was mega quick too, different league but I dont think we were out near enough to each other to end up "racing" as it were, he would have slaughtered me though in my little roadcar with a radio and rear seats etc, lol.

Oh and JamesEP400 from here did a really good job of fending me off for a while in his standard 172 but with his "mad karting champion yo" skillz, I obvioulsy passed him easily still but it was harder to catch him in the first place than I expected, and he did a good job of kind of hanging onto me after I passed him too, I was getting away, but not by as much as you would expect given the spec difference.

He is definitely the quicker driver out of the two of us, but the cars were just such an unfair match I won anyway, lol

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
Welcome back chip. We missed you

Looks like you were making steady progess even if taking it easy.

What the hell was the rx7 racecar?

Out interest what is the rough lap time of this over your better halves rs2 or even a standard 172?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Welcome back chip. We missed you

Looks like you were making steady progess even if taking it easy.

What the hell was the rx7 racecar?

Out interest what is the rough lap time of this over your better halves rs2 or even a standard 172?

I was five seconds a lap quicker in the turbo that day than the rs2 car, but I was driving the rs2 car harder, the real difference is probably more like 7 or 8 seconds a lap at Combe.

the rx7 was doing passenger laps and when me and James slowed for the red flag he kept going so looks mentally quick as I was about 40mph slower than I normally would be there. You can hear me back off and I'm braking gently, where as would normally be flat out accelerating at that point.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Anywhere near 1.19?

No mate not on that day, best one timed was 1:22.2 but there was loads more to come, James said he thought his or your car would be around the 1:18-1:19 sort of ballpark and I think that's probably about what mine can do too if I try a bit harder so probably quite a fair fight. Which I'm quite happy seeing as I can be listening to the radio and mine is with a passenger and still got seats and sound deadening etc. :)

Shows how much difference being a properly stripped race car on proper suspension etc makes, as it effectively is cancelling out 80bhp or so difference.

On a twisty track I couldn't match you though I'm sure, Combe plays to my cars strengths more than yours, somewhere like Oulton where its all about chassis I'd be miles away, its only a basic road car still on almost standard suspension (just some mild upgrade rear shocks and springs and some midrange coilovers) and I've taken no weight out. Its probably 1300kg in the video.

182cup & 172 racecar
No mate not on that day, best one timed was 1:22.2 but there was loads more to come, James said he thought his or your car would be around the 1:18-1:19 sort of ballpark and I think that's probably about what mine can do too if I try a bit harder so probably quite a fair fight. Which I'm quite happy seeing as I can be listening to the radio and mine is with a passenger and still got seats and sound deadening etc. :)

Shows how much difference being a properly stripped race car on proper suspension etc makes, as it effectively is cancelling out 80bhp or so difference.

On a twisty track I couldn't match you though I'm sure, Combe plays to my cars strengths more than yours, somewhere like Oulton where its all about chassis I'd be miles away, its only a basic road car still on almost standard suspension (just some mild upgrade rear shocks and springs and some midrange coilovers) and I've taken no weight out. Its probably 1300kg in the video.

​Yeah, I was just interested to see the difference.