ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

coolant - what to top up with

maybe a dumb question but iv never filled up the coolant before, noticed the other day its right on the min mark if not below it!

where should i top it up to? and what with?

Skoda Fabia vRS

if yours is green then its probably Renault coolant thats in it, can pick it up pre mixed at the dealers, thats what i use

Quote: Originally posted by casiodan on 03 September 2005

Isnt it supposed to be on minimum when the engine is cold?
Nope. Your supposed to check it when th cars cold and top it up accoridingly.

The Renault coolent isnt supposed to be mixed with water though. 1 liter is £6 or so.

Ive recently topped mine up with distiled (Spell?) water.
When I got the car, 300 miles ago it was about 1/2 full now it was about 1/4 left just sitting near the Min line.

its an old 1991 car is it usuall for them to lose coolant?

Also will it damage the engine if the coolant runs down near to the Min level.

tiTTy & SV650

losing lots of coolant might be a radiator leak, might be perished hoses / pipes, or might be cylinder head gasket failure, is there mayonaisse like gunk under the cap?

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 03 September 2005

hoi sin sauce
MMMmmmmm. Smothering some Roasted Duck breast, with spring onions and cucumber, wrapped in a pancake..... my favourite food.

Not sure how weel it do as coolant though..lol

Quote: Originally posted by DarrenRN on 06 September 2005

Ive recently topped mine up with distiled (Spell?) water.
When I got the car, 300 miles ago it was about 1/2 full now it was about 1/4 left just sitting near the Min line.

its an old 1991 car is it usuall for them to lose coolant?

Also will it damage the engine if the coolant runs down near to the Min level.
You can run down to the minimum fine Id just not let it go any lower than minimum.

Mine leaks a bit your sound like a coolent leak though not just natural evapouration. Check your pipes and radiator for leaks.

I wouldnt dilute it down with winter approaching. Not for the sake of £6 anyway

mmmmmmmmm aromatic crispy duck n pancakes:D

My Dads got some antifreeze somewhere it wont be long till its half empty again anyway lol. when it is how much antifreeze should I bung in?

Mazda MX5 1.8

How much coolant do u think id need for my 1.6? i guess i could wait and look in the book but that would be too easy.........

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

i always just top mine up to the maximum mark. i use water unless its been topped up a couple of times and has been diluted, then i put some anti-freeze in it