ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coolant level issue

-Dan-

ClioSport Club Member
Hey guys, did a track day on Friday and noticed while letting the car cool down the coolant level was pretty much at the cap level, very very high I could also touch my inlet manifold straight away after a 20 min session okay it was 2 degrees outside but even so shouldn't be able to do that, when I got home I left the car to sit over night then drained 300ml out the expansion tank, I then went on a quick blast up get it hot again the legal was above the max mark :/ the temp gauge is reading fine, this is after leaving another night to cool down the blue mark is where I drained the level to

8C8F2437-E788-4A49-913C-2DC0703E8FFB-2480-00000390900F614F_zps4e5efd71.gif

Any help would be great, thank you

renault clio 1.4 16v
the level will vary with use, how old is the coolent? could have a air pocket somewhere in the system, mine used to be all over the place till i did a coolent flush, stays between the max and min levels all the time now

-Dan-

ClioSport Club Member
coolant is 6 months old, never really been an issue with it raising it up, just noticed it starting at friday track day, its getting to the overflow pipe and not dropping till cold which leads me to think its the thermostat, but with no other usual signs like the temp gauge reading low or high ?

Odyssey 172 phase 1
It seems like a air trap in the system to me, do you get hot air out the vents?, if so its likely to be a dodgy thermostat.

Odyssey 172 phase 1
could it not also be the head gasket letting gas in to allow the fluid to expand and raise, but don't have any other sighs of a failing one :/

if it was head gasket it would be a bit worse than it is to be honest, but its a possibility

Water expands when hot, your max level is when stone cold. Do not worry how high it goes when hot so long as it does not spew it out and that it returns to the max mark again when stone cold.

-Dan-

ClioSport Club Member
I don't think it's dropping back to the level though :/ I haven't checked it since I took that picture Sunday morning, will have to see if after 2 days sat not moving has it dropped back down the mark I drained it to, I've got an thermostat for £3 at Ecp so might change that anyway as it's a 5 min job

I don't think it's dropping back to the level though :/ I haven't checked it since I took that picture Sunday morning, will have to see if after 2 days sat not moving has it dropped back down the mark I drained it to, I've got an thermostat for £3 at Ecp so might change that anyway as it's a 5 min job

If you have it then you may as well change it, make sure you bleed the engine when you refill the system (bolt in the end of the thermostat housing) And radiator ( bleed screw in top of end tank drivers side I think) It will save you lots of time shifting air around.

Ps, still don't think you have a thermostat issue TBH.

LY FF182
That's fair enough! To be hinest, Renault stock them at the dealer so you coulda got one but I see your point. Just saying don't be surprised if it fails in a few months :)