ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

## Coolant leak ##

GR7

Shiny red R32

My car has been in to get the washer bottle replaced this morning and the mechanic put the car up on the ramp to have a look round and noticed what appears to be signs of coolant leak and it seems to be coming from the area of the thermostat housing where it is bolted to the cylinder head underneath the airbox. :(

I hope I have remembered that properly! Has anyone any knowledge about any problems in this department. By the way my car has only done 6,300 miles so it cant really be wear and tear.

I would appreciate any comments please. Thanks

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

changed a few thermostat housings for leaks on the f engines.be covered by warranty though wont it?

Hiya GR.

If it was a leak from the thermo housing it should be flamingly obvious and you should be able to get it replaced underwarrenty or have your garage mates do it for cheap/free if you hand over the part to them.

A relatively painless 20 min operation maam.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

had a few of the alloy housings distort and leak coolant from the thermostat housing to head joint.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 20 March 2004

Hiya GR.

If it was a leak from the thermo housing it should be flamingly obvious and you should be able to get it replaced under warranty or have your garage mates do it for cheap/free if you hand over the part to them.

A relatively painless 20 min operation maam.

Hiya Ben

What part would this be please?

SOrry GR lol, its just mumbo jumbo.

You only need the 10 digit part number and the price which you are correct on. The rest of the 3x1 you can ignore.

The prices are not inclusive of VAT though, so add that b*****d tax on.

GR7

Shiny red R32

My coolant was topped up early yesterday afternoon and when I checked it at 2pm today it was down by one inch, so where has it gone? I only drove it about 26 miles this morning? Im not sure whether to phone Renault to ask whether it is covered by warranty or whether to just let my local good guys deal with it.

Trouble is that with so much in that little engine bay, I feel that I would be putting them to a lot of trouble, as knowing Clios, half the engine would need removing to sort it.

If it is the part we talked about previously then you should be able t see the remains of the leak on the floor if it was excaping that fast GR.

And if it is that problem i would call ren and ask for them to fix it, its nothing major.

But if your guys do it, its nothing near difficult as that part is at the end of the cylinder head near your airbox. So no nee to remove a million parts.

Sorry to reserect this thread, but thoguht it was more usefull than starting anew one.

I have a coolant leak on the RSi, sometimes when standing ti will go down laods, but other times it wont althought it seems to defo go down when sat in traffic, but other times i can do a 35 mile trip and it will go down 1", and others i can do a 50 mile trip and wiht no loss.

Ive checked all the hoses etc, and casn find no sign of a leak, i think it might be commign from the water pump gasket as the drivers side subframe is wet, but cant tell at the mo if thats rain or coolant.

Car was sat since 8am this mornign and the level has only gone down ever so slightly, topped it back up and gonna monitor it and check 2morrow again, if its gone down will find a ncie dry spot to park it and see where the leak is commign from.

The other option i thoguht of is is it the core plugs at the rear of the engine, as the block is fairly rusty? If so how hard a job is this to replace?

Skoda Fabia vRS

check for leaks when its runnin mate, it will escape under pressure but might not come out when just standin

Have tried, had the engine on till the fan kicks in, but cant see any obvousl leaks, i think it may well be leaking onot the chassis somewhere and runnig down

Anyone any idea why this could happen to the dci engiens mine seems to be leaking fluid but Renault have pressure checked it and said there is nothing wrong.

GR7

Shiny red R32

I had forgotten about this coolant problem!

Mine was sorted by my good local guys - there were a couple of loose screws/nuts or something that just needed tightening up if I remember. Recently my handbrake had to be secured too, as it was wobbly and needed tightening up. Renaults I suppose :eek:

Will i topped mine up when i got home from work at 5, and wiped the subframe below the water pump dry, and checked it about 8/9 oclock and the level hasnt gone down, and the subframe is dry, not moving the car till mondya now, so will check it again tomorrow befroe and after work and keep you all posted.

If it only leaks when the car is moving/hot what possibilities does that limit me to? or could it just be a slow leak that is leaking when the system is under pressure? If this is the case i presume it will get worse if not sorted?

Willy2

check the coolant bottle cap, it has a valve in it for a self bleeding sort of system, it might have a lot of crap in it or failed!

I brougth a new header tank and cap from reno a month or so ago.

Think i found the source of the leak, thisd mornign the level had gonbe down my 2mm or so, and the bottem of the drivers side subframe was wet, with what i think is coolant, seeing as it hadnt been rainign here overnight.

This is below where the water pump is, and since it hasnt been making any noise im thinking its hte water pump gasket, it hads the cambelt changed at 96k, and it on 107k now, i recon when they took the water pump off they didnt change the gasket. Had that before on the 1.2, they changed the oil etc and didnt replace trhe sump drain plug gasket and it started leaking oil after 6 months :(