ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cooksport and pm top mount help

172 cup
Right guys fitted cooksport springs and pure motorsport top mount + strut kit at the weekend. Had a nightmare fitting them but they are one now. However there seems to be a noise over bumps coming from the left front. Sounds like a noisy shock (I think) however they are less than a year old and done 2k so would be strange.

Was thinking that maybe I was meant to trim the bumpstops for the cooksports, are you meant to. Any other advice about issues/tips about fitting both kits?

Lastly the instructions say use loctite on the top mount bolts, is this necessary?

Do both the shocks sit the same height in the mounts? and have you rechecked the tightness? Its possible to not quite centrally locate the collars during assembly and then as it moves you end up with play.

172 cup
The left side was higher at first which knocked like hell. But now they way level and tight. As for locating them centrally, there doesn't seen to be any movement in the mounts and the seemed a very tight fit when they went thought the hole. Is there anyway of checking?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If you buzz the top nut off and shine a light down you should be able to see if its located on the collar properly, but after driving they normally locate themselves.

172 cup
Ok I will have a look. Also when I took the original top mount off there was a washer type disc and then the spring cap. I fitted the new mounts to the spring caps. Did I need to put the disc in aswell?

Is the top nut on the strut tight - mine knocked and banged like a b**ch on the way to the MOT this year, sounded like a wheel was falling off
Tried tightening the top nut and it tightened about an 8th of a turn more and the knocking completely went away

PH2 Flamer
This is what I think mine is. I have given it a buzz up with my impact gun, but I'm not sure it that's powerful. It wouldn't even undo my strut bolts.

Everything is as it should be, I've checked twice. And it's exactly the same as when dan fitted them. Expect it was then on coilovers. Now it's on oem shocks and cooksport springs.

172 Cup
I am going to be fitting this kit at the weekend, are the torque settings given in the fitting guide not tight enough then? Peanuthead, did you fit the kit yourself following the guide? I am on standard Cup shocks with Eibach Sportlines, anything to be aware of?

Clio182
What torque setting should the top nut be tightened to? Or just as tight as possible?

Sorry for the hijack

No there isn't

I just rattled mine on with my cordless impact gun - about 120nm I would say
But basically get a big 23/24mm (forget which) ring spanner and swing off them. You can't really over-tighten them

172 cup
I would say the best tip would be get the mounts and strut in place then mark the holes. The guide says to line the strut up central with the hole in the middle, but then the top mounts put it slightly off.

The front left was knocking badly and I notice it was nowhere near tight enough, so I jacked the disc up and then tightened it, then had another go on the floor as well. Might have a further go with a even longer spanner!

172 Cup
where please mate? I must be being blind cause I just had a flick through and coudnt spot a torque setting for that main top nut?

Ah ignore me then, thought it was in that list of torque settings but it dosnt actually include the top nut setting after looking again. Is it meant to be as tight as it can go then?

I know my mate was having 'noise' issues with his Eibachs on his trophy shocks and k-tec solid top mounts, after he losened the top mounts ever so slightly and it resolved the problem.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You cant really overtighten it within reason with a nut gun (unless you have some industrial one or somtehing, lol) as the shaft in the shock will just spin.

172 Cup
Ok so just to confirm, follow the guide and then tighted the top nut as tight as possible using an impact gun? Might have to take it to a local garage for final tightening then as i dont think i can get my hands on an impact gun :(

172 cup
Would it matter if the three m8 bolts for the mounts were too tight as I done these up fairly tight with a ratchet, can torque them correctly if needed? Also did anyone else use loctite on the threads?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
makes little difference if its up or down TBH, marginally more resistance when down though, but either should work.

182 Cup
For the information of anyone else doing this, I tightened the lower strut mount bolts to the stated 180nm and stripped the thread off one, I've been informed that they should be 105nm, this is for the two bolts that hold the strut to the hub.

pure-motorsport

ClioSport Trader
  Clio 172
For the information of anyone else doing this, I tightened the lower strut mount bolts to the stated 180nm and stripped the thread off one, I've been informed that they should be 105nm, this is for the two bolts that hold the strut to the hub.
Your informant is wrong!