ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cookie's Golf R32

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Enjoy the car. Even more so once it is fixed and you're 100% happy with it. We've had ours for 4 years now doing 16,000miles in that time and it has just clicked over 40,000miles which for a late 2008 car is pretty low. We both love driving the car and haven't got bored of it. Someone recently reversed into ours in a car park so it needed a new headlamp and left hand side grill and bumper respray. We had a Focus ST for 6 days as a courtesy car while it was being repaired, and I can safely say although it was enjoyable, we would certainly not swap our older R32 for it.

It is due its annual service at the end of the month and we use APS Brackley who are very reasonable for costs http://www.autops.co.uk I think even the big service with spark plugs and Haldex filter/oil was about £300 without checking invoices. This year it's just oil & filter.

I recently changed the head unit to a RNS510 DAB, with genuine VW roof mounted GPS/DAB aerial and late spec Bluetooth unit that you can stream music to and integrates with iPhones which I think earlyier bluetooth units don't. It is one of the things I really like about the VW stuff, is how easy lots of later items still integrate. The kids live being able to watch movies on it though I think I have listened to Big Hero 6 about 10 times now!
I'm eyeing up RNS510's on eBay at the mo, I miss having a screen to dick around with
@MarcJP - Me too. I've bonded with it more than I ever did with the M3 already, even with the wheel bearing issue.
Wife yelled at me earlier for going too quickly round a roundabout :D

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I'm eyeing up RNS510's on eBay at the mo, I miss having a screen to dick around with
@MarcJP - Me too. I've bonded with it more than I ever did with the M3 already, even with the wheel bearing issue.
Wife yelled at me earlier for going too quickly round a roundabout :smiley:
Are you worried about nav? If not, just get a RCD 510 DAB and save yourself lots.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Only seems to be 100-150 cheaper (eBay prices) for no nav?. I have nav on my phone that I can use, I suppose it's just the one on the screen is neater
An RCD is normally 200-250 where as a genuine RNS are normally about £500.
If you aren't worried about DAB you can just get an RCD510 for a 1er.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Booked the car in for a Haldex fluid + filter change on Monday, 118 all in from my local indy. It was done at 40ish k at a main dealer, and I know the filter is every other oil change but I figured I'd just get both bits done.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Have they done it before? If not you might get lucky and have a free diff oil change too..😅

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Hah. Well he knew what a Haldex service was so I'd think they've done it before!
In that case he'll have the spanner already I'm sure. If not, he's fucked. Look at the state of this -
3938.jpg

Peugeot 308

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
If I bought any of these, do I still require separate modules ie: Bluetooth? Or is it all built in to the unit?

Half tempted to get a knock-off-nigel ebay jobber and see how that pans out.

Or something like this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400861639833?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Nein. I looked at those for the M3. Very poor support etc, the Cutters bunch despise them. And they normally lap up cheap s**t.

I went for a pioneer touch screen with carplay/Android auto. Yes it looks aftermarket, but the functionality is miles ahead of anything else you'll get.

Peugeot 308
Nein. I looked at those for the M3. Very poor support etc, the Cutters bunch despise them. And they normally lap up cheap s**t.

I went for a pioneer touch screen with carplay/Android auto. Yes it looks aftermarket, but the functionality is miles ahead of anything else you'll get.

Not worth it. Either buy Pioneer/Kenwood or just buy OEM

Damn it, I quite liked the look of that Dynavin unit.

Even thought I prefere the OEM look, Since Kenwood was mentioned...

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/ken...-stereo.html?gclid=CIqJuMCwkcwCFcsp0wodj_ILZw

Better?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Just had a quick look, I'm not sure I'm that impressed by those.
It's very useful. Full voice control, reads messages out etc. And as it's using your phone hardware, new apps and features become available without having to change the head unit.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Could be that one tbf. I'll check tomorrow. Bit like brown people, they all look the same.
All sell mobile phone covers at motorway service stations too. What other leads and crap did you need for it? I wonder if I already have everything I need with the Pioneer double DIN thing that's already in there...

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Just standard phone charging cables. But has to be plugged into specific USB port on stereo depending on whether it's Android or Apple.

Peugeot 308
I'm not sure I can deal with Siri as the video suggests.. Plus using my phone as a Sat Nav sounds like a recipe for disaster also?

Last edited:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Fair enough, I only use it with Android, and the voice control is brilliant. And Google maps is decent, not as good as the Tomtom app, but still very good.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
These look tempting... Only worry is the chain tensioner.... Bar that they really bulletproof

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
First bit of preventative maintenance done. Haldex service (oil and filter) sorted by the local indy.
Need to get the car into a tyre place this week and see if I can diagnose why one of the tyres is losing air (it's not got anything stuck in it)