ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cookie's Golf R32

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
And the haldex unit.....
How is the haldex unit failing a worry? They're very reliable lol

I think previous owner already tried that. Found a receipt stuffed in the wheel well suggesting one (or more) tyre has had a reseal attempt. Who knows if it was this tyre in question!
I hate to say it but look for hairline cracks when the wheel is off. Fingers crossed it's just not sealed or a dodgy valve.

Last edited:

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
If it's cracked and can't be fixed, it's probably going to be cheaper to replace the whole lot than try and track down some replacement wheels. Couldn't find any on eBay and none on r32oc

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Yup we replaced many through warranty years and years ago.

A Beautiful R32
If it's cracked and can't be fixed, it's probably going to be cheaper to replace the whole lot than try and track down some replacement wheels. Couldn't find any on eBay and none on r32oc
That's exactly what I did when one of the wheels cracked on mine. Vw quoted me about £600 for one wheel.

Sold my r32 when my daughter was born as it got too much attention parked on our drive and was making me paranoid. I miss it and will have another one when we move.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
First bit of preventative maintenance done. Haldex service (oil and filter) sorted by the local indy.
Need to get the car into a tyre place this week and see if I can diagnose why one of the tyres is losing air (it's not got anything stuck in it)
Bead of the tyre needs re sealing mate?

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Oooh an update. Tyre issue STILL not fixed. Will be my third trip to the tyre place on Monday. Bead wasn't resealed on its last trip there, he only cut the valve out and put a new one in (previously just did the inner bit). So hopefully I can get them to clean the wheel up and properly seat the fucker and get it right.

Wheel bearing noise hasn't got any louder as yet. Finally programmed phone to talk to the Pioneer headunit so have Bluetooth audio to drown out wheel bearing noise.

@JD pointed out that my car does indeed have folding mirrors, which I should probably twigged given it has the mirrors with the puddle lights

Averaging 23-25mpg because booting it is f**king hilarious, still. The only one that doesn't like the noise is my wife, but she doesn't like anything

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
After last weeks claying and just dumping any old wax on it, needed something a bit better. AF Tripple then two coats of Desire. The bonnet is completely flat like it was resprayed by Stevie Wonder, but even that's starting to reflect (although it's very cloudy compared to the rest of the paint)

Looking forward to the beading. Juke was also cleaned today and had a coat of Tripple. Had to clay it a bit because she treats the thing like s**t. Bird s**t has eaten the lacquer in places. Only put Tripple on it so its at least easier to wash next time. It's got 3000 miles on it and the paint is soft as s**t. Horrible Japanese thing. Ugh.

golf1.jpg
golf2.jpg

Not a 320d
I was looking at what these things cost recently and couldn't believe it. I rekon itll atleast hold its value for you.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Tyre issue got fixed a while back, on it's third trip back there.. he sealed it properly that time and it's been fine since.
New wheel bearing kit arrived since the wheel bearing still hasn't entirely died, so that'll get fitted soon hopefully

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I could actually hear R32 owners cry over the howl of their V6 as i went by them.

Must have not had the flapper mod done iirc

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
The Golf is a massive arsehole. After much swearing and fire, @Scrooge and Fat Dave combined to replace the utterly cunted and seized wheel bearing. Took it for a test drive, noise still there, other front wheel bearing also goosed, just makes less noise. Arse.

Oh and it needs discs and pads all round, so there's that. I'm having another expensive week.

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
The Golf is a massive arsehole. After much swearing and fire, @Scrooge and Fat Dave combined to replace the utterly cunted and seized wheel bearing. Took it for a test drive, noise still there, other front wheel bearing also goosed, just makes less noise. Arse.

Oh and it needs discs and pads all round, so there's that. I'm having another expensive week.

Buy a milltek and all will be forgotten

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
It makes 50% less noise though, it's going in the right direction. Lips on the disc are hilarious though

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Ordered brakes from EBC with a discount I found on the internet (15% off, takes it off before VAT so more savings - IAM485967)
Think £320 all in. I haven't bought any brakes since 2012, maybe (3 cars ago).
Oh and another wheel bearing kit, at 50 quid. Expensive day for consumables.

This has cost me more in a few months than the M3 did in a year and a bit, I think.

@sj2112 - I test drove one with a Milltek, not for me. I don't see the point, the standard exhaust is hilarious enough.

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
Ordered brakes from EBC with a discount I found on the internet (15% off, takes it off before VAT so more savings - IAM485967)
Think £320 all in. I haven't bought any brakes since 2012, maybe (3 cars ago).
Oh and another wheel bearing kit, at 50 quid. Expensive day for consumables.

This has cost me more in a few months than the M3 did in a year and a bit, I think.

@sj2112 - I test drove one with a Milltek, not for me. I don't see the point, the standard exhaust is hilarious enough.

Maybe the mk5 is different, mine sounds naff currently

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

Car skittles.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Most of which could be avoided if he bothered to actually look at the car before he bought it.

I offered to see it with him. He wouldn't have come home with it if I had lol

It'll be sorted eventually, it's a nice drive

Peugeot 308
Thanks for reminding me, there's rust on the lip of the front wing too! Added that to the list of things to fix

@Daniel - It's not an adventure unless you just buy the first car you see. Admittedly I probably wasn't in the proper mental state to be buying cars then either.

Go to a VW dealership with the wing. Yours being a 2006, I'd make that trip sooner rather than later.