ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cookie's 2009 Honda Civic Type R GT

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Had mine checked again. Wasnt empty but very low on gas so thats why it wasn't kicking in.
Pressure tested and no apparent leaks so he's put the dye in to see Where the minor leak (must have!) Is when it eventually runs out again. Works fine now but must be a very small leak somewhere. Can now feel those engine mount inserts again when the ac kicks in! Thought they'd softened up a bit!

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Sat waiting for the car to be MOT'd.. predictions on what it fails on?

Also:
1528190345472536098341347163055.jpg

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Shitbox had it's A/C regassed by the bloke, apparently Kwik Fit managed to put half the amount of gas necessary and double the amount of oil, system didn't like it

He said the condenser didn't look like it was leaking at the moment but it had taken knocks etc from stones and all the other s**t on the road, so it may need looking at at some point (like if it now runs out of gas)

The A/C is cold as fuuuuck now

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Any parts place. Mine was about that. Get one with a drier attached.

Euros, gsf, local motor factors, mister auto etc.

Bumper off and swap over (with new and oiled seals/o rings though, don't make my mistake!). Might need to have it done at an ac place or get a mobile dude to do it to make sure all of the gas it out before taking it off.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Yeah defo wouldnt fit a second hand condensor no way.

Tell them you'll have the bumper off cos mine was reluctant to mess about breaking clips etc. Only charged me 60 for diagnosis regas, check over and new o ring fitting

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah defo wouldnt fit a second hand condensor no way.

Tell them you'll have the bumper off cos mine was reluctant to mess about breaking clips etc. Only charged me 60 for diagnosis regas, check over and new o ring fitting
Seen one that's £106.99 on Euros.. worth a bash?

(Think I meant compressor when I said second hand, his notes say condenser possibly need replacing)

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Well if you had cold air after the regas and the pump/compressor was kicking in (clunk and rev drop) then your compressor sounds ok.
Yeah go for that one if it has a drier unit attached

RB 182 FF
I had to replace the condensor in my 2006 Civic. Cost me about £250 for the part and fitting a couple of years ago.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Millions of rep condensers these days. You'll be fine. Ask any garage how much to fit an air con rad and regas if you supply the part. Take it to a bodyshop.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
My mate with a garage told me the other day the price of the gas has gone through the roof, from something like £80 a bottle up to something like £270.
Anyone know anything about it.?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Shortage. Our friend who has done our air con for 20 years now bought thousands worth at the start of the year.

He may always be talking about the new gas r1234 or something. I think it's enviro safe and very expensive. Think it's £200+ a recharge for that.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I get why folk hate them to be honest. Good cars for the money though and fun if you can bear the ride View attachment 1374920
It was only ever a stop gap anyway, it's just not a very helpful stop gap. The last stop gap was the ST220 that I did actual enjoy owning/driving

Kicking it's head in yesterday was a fair bit of fun (aside from the horrendous torque steer), but most of the time I'm driving it I'm not kicking it's head in, so all you think about is the horrendous ride.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I spent a few months driving a cooking model FN Civic and the ride was shockingly bad. Can't imagine what the Type-R is like. It's a shame. Part of me quite likes them, but I don't think I could buy one over some of its rivals. I know people love NA, but it would just do my head in for a daily. Mid-range torque FTW.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Are they really that awful? I think they have aged really well and is a car i've been interested in trying.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
From when I drove it the low down torque actually wasn’t an issue. The ride is stupid though

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Not to me either, and ive had mine for 8 yrs.
It can be quite lumpy on the wrong road but go out and find a nice welsh A/B road and its a great drive.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
For what they are and how much they cost to buy its a difficult package to beat.

Yes the torque is an issue, so is the ride, rear visibility and paint quality but when you're on it they're a superb car. You get used to the ride very quickly.

If you want a reliable, newish, well spec'd, warm hatch which is does it all for 4-5k theres not much out there thats better (even the EP3 have a higher price point these days).

Its a hoot and I urge everyone to try one. Its a far cry away from the 35k hatchbacks of today.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
For what they are and how much they cost to buy its a difficult package to beat.

Yes the torque is an issue, so is the ride, rear visibility and paint quality but when you're on it they're a superb car. You get used to the ride very quickly.

If you want a reliable, newish, well spec'd, warm hatch which is does it all for 4-5k theres not much out there thats better (even the EP3 have a higher price point these days).

Its a hoot and I urge everyone to try one. Its a far cry away from the 35k hatchbacks of today.
Nailed it. Yeah reverse sensors or a camera would be useful too! That's what my scene hook is for tho for now

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Have reverse sensors on mine which is handy given how annoying that lower part of the bumper is. Stupid bloody design.

I don't hate it to the point where I want to set it on fire, but I don't like it to the point where I'm even willing to replace the tyres on it

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Have reverse sensors on mine which is handy given how annoying that lower part of the bumper is. Stupid bloody design.

I don't hate it to the point where I want to set it on fire, but I don't like it to the point where I'm even willing to replace the tyres on it

Out of interest how does it compare with the ST220 from a drivers perspective? I can imagine the ST was a heavy lump so not as enjoyable on the boil but far better to live with day to day?

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Out of interest how does it compare with the ST220 from a drivers perspective? I can imagine the ST was a heavy lump so not as enjoyable on the boil but far better to live with day to day?

ST was much nicer to just potter around in, and was surprisingly good to hustle about. Much lazier drive than the Civic. Civic just about quicker in a straight line, but I doubt there's much in it. ST sounded 4 million times nicer.

Civic interior is nicer, ST seats were more comfortable but Civic holds you in place better. Civic easier to park (because it's not 5m long)

Not even a comparison in ride quality

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
ST was much nicer to just potter around in, and was surprisingly good to hustle about. Much lazier drive than the Civic. Civic just about quicker in a straight line, but I doubt there's much in it. ST sounded 4 million times nicer.

Civic interior is nicer, ST seats were more comfortable but Civic holds you in place better. Civic easier to park (because it's not 5m long)

Not even a comparison in ride quality

Good comparison and as expected really. I love fords but they rust to buggery in next to no time. Saying that Honda’s aren’t much better.

Nissin calipers on Honda’s drive me mad. Always seizing as they were never designed to cope with British weather.

Was the main reason we got rid of our 1.8. Why Honda though the ride was acceptable is beyond me. I would have the FN2 type r in a heart beat if it didn't rattle your teeth out. The ep3 was fine as well, had that for over 5 years without complaint.