ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cookie's 2003 M3

Strell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman JCW
Looks really nice. Making me want one. Anyone want an Audi TT QS so I can fund one?

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
They are holding their money well now. I sold my 2003 SMG on 79k for £11k 4 years ago!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
They are holding their money well now. I sold my 2003 SMG on 79k for £11k 4 years ago!
Yup, i bought my '03 with 93k for £8k in Sept 11 and sold at £6750 with 100k in Mar 12. Would be worth a lot more now lol.
I think Cookie has the right idea tbh, he's got a good one, depreciation will be minimal, so if it breaks (Subframe/HGF), just fix it, no point worrying.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Yup, i bought my '03 with 93k for £8k in Sept 11 and sold at £6750 with 100k in Mar 12. Would be worth a lot more now lol.
I think Cookie has the right idea tbh, he's got a good one, depreciation will be minimal, so if it breaks (Subframe/HGF), just fix it, no point worrying.
Thay are hardly huge costs either, yes expensive when compared to car value, but still less than discs and pads for mine...

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Thay are hardly huge costs either, yes expensive when compared to car value, but still less than discs and pads for mine...
Yup. I've been looking at e92 M3's as of late, but i'd need to spend £20k, to then lose a fortune in depreciation.
Or i could buy another (far less sheddy) e46 for £10k and keep a couple of grand aside for failures.
The decision seems obvious really.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
He has warranty. It'll be checked when he gets a chance. I think that's why he is in no rush.

Warranty won't cover subframe. Not even BMW's fully comprehensive warranty covers that. If it's out of it's 10 year goodwill period, which this is, then it's a £2k fix at Redish. The bad news is (as well as the costs), the 2001-04 models are very prone to subframe cracks. The 2005+ models had a revised boot floor, so are far less likely to need it.

Car looks great Terry. More pics needed when the weather pics up.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Yup. I've been looking at e92 M3's as of late, but i'd need to spend £20k, to then lose a fortune in depreciation.
Or i could buy another (far less sheddy) e46 for £10k and keep a couple of grand aside for failures.
The decision seems obvious really.
I have a huge soft spot for M3's this colour. Just needs the competition wheels.

takata-green-bmw-e92-m3-receives-legendary-wheels-at-eas-photo-gallery-71752_1.jpg

Warranty won't cover subframe. Not even BMW's fully comprehensive warranty covers that. If it's out of it's 10 year goodwill period, which this is, then it's a £2k fix at Redish. The bad news is (as well as the costs), the 2001-04 models are very prone to subframe cracks. The 2005+ models had a revised boot floor, so are far less likely to need it.

Car looks great Terry. More pics needed when the weather pics up.
Hearing lots of good things about Reddish, Neil. Good Beisan Vanos upgrade thread on Z4 Forum at the moment. Methodical to the end, incl 3M blue tape around the engine bay to ensure no scratches!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Reddish are a ridiculous company. So so good. Luckily on my door step.
I took my 330 there. He worked until 8pm, offered me food, drink, a ride in a M3 and didn't charge me for half the hours he worked. His attention to detail is mental.

Reactions: JD
  UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Hearing lots of good things about Reddish, Neil. Good Beisan Vanos upgrade thread on Z4 Forum at the moment. Methodical to the end, incl 3M blue tape around the engine bay to ensure no scratches!

Yeah, they are tip top. Just a shame they're so far away from many being in Bristol.

Here's the subframe crack explained and repaired in pictures by them:
http://www.redish-motorsport.com/E46M3FloorSubframeCrackRepairReinforcement.html

Incredible attention to detail. They actually supply the floor plate kit for £200, but it's finding a reputable and SQEP welder who will carry out the work. Redish actually inject resin into the crack before reinforcing, too.

Reactions: JD

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I have a budget for the subframe when it needs doing. The car isn't going to detonate the second it starts to crack. The recent poll on cutters was pretty eye opening though. Just less than half the people polled hadn't had any work done on the subframe at all.

Chris V6 255

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 255, 182 Trophy
To be fair £1500 +vat isn't that bad.
Just like having to change the cambelt on my V6 lol

The proof of just how good Redish are is in the (sadly) "unusual" pictures. For example a proper wash method after work done and 3M taped up areas around the engine bay/work area. I.e. "we'll treat yours as we treat ours".

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Took the car to the dump today to get rid of some carpet. Forgot to take a picture (imagine carpet in a 3 Series, ta da).
Really need the weather to clear up so I can start playing about in it a bit more.

Listerine & Poledo
Really need the weather to clear up so I can start playing about in it a bit more.
Probably wise to play more now, while the grip limits (and resulting impact speeds) are lower.

Carpet in a car you say? That's worth a thread.

Took the car to the dump today to get rid of some carpet. Forgot to take a picture (imagine carpet in a 3 Series, ta da).
Shoulda kept the peado wagon to 'put things in' ;)

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Holy f**k haha are you keeping the plate? I was thinking of something similar (I like to plan ahead)