ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Contemplating keeping my 182 as a third car

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
My 182's been up for sale since i bought myself a Z4 about 2 months ago.

I've pulled the RS2 off (Sold), the Treadline seat out, and will be selling off the wheels to put standards back on.

But i took the car out last night for a quick spin, and now i really am having second thought about selling it. Once the above is sold off the car wouldn't owe me a massive amount of money, and I doubt it'll lose much value if i do keep it, then decide to sell it again next year or later.

The issue i've got is the added cost of taxing the car and keeping it insured. Tax is about £25 a month from memory and insurance last year was £500 approx (about £100 more than the Z4). It'll no doubt need maintenance on top of that too. So realistically, looking at a minimum of £1000-1500 just to keep it on the road every year.

Anyway my question..... Is this the kind of cost people pay to have a second car/track car/weekend car etc. I'll probably only use it a handful of times a month, as the Z4 will be my daily to get to work everyday, and we use my wives C-Max over the weekend as we've got two young children.

Interested to hear how people manage multiple car usage and financing it, as i know quite a few people run several cars on here.

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
I pay for the tax per month, insurance (albeit only a small usage policy) per month as well as the costs of turning it into a track car and petrol on top.

Do you want it to be a project car? Or just a third car as it currently stands to take out for a drive every so often? If it's the latter I personally wouldn't bother. If you've got some big plans then it's definitely worth it!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I liked the idea of having two cars, didn’t work out the way I’d planned.

Cones down to disposable income I guess. I’d love to keep mine if I was to buy another car.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
It's the insurance cost on these cars that kill it. I have a couple of classic minis and only recently a clio. I cover the insurance and tax on the minis for less than just the insurance on the Clio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

172 Turbo
Mine is a second car which rarely gets used.

Costs me £250 a year for insurance on my 172 Turbo, pay it in one go and it's done with. I'm with Keith Michaels, so it may be worth shopping around.

Tax comes out monthly, and I SORN it for months at a time. Before owning this one, my Cup lived for 6 months in the garage gathering dust at one point. I'll be putting this one away this weekend, and getting it out in March, I just give it a wash and polish before it goes in the garage.

Oil and filter change is £34 if you do it yourself.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
I guess the issue is the insurance really, like i said it cost me £500 at Greenlight and Sky previously, and has been going up slightly. Though mileage will be reduced big time if i keep it so maybe that'll make a difference.
Crazy how these are so expensive to insure really. I can insure my wife's C-Max (1.6 ecoboost, and she only passed her test 22 months ago) and my Z4 3.0i on a combined policy for basically the same price as i paid on my 182 last year.
I've looked at short term polices, but they're crazy money.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Can only assume because the clios can be bought for similar money to an expensive night out. Then ragged to death and cause agony to the world.

Insurance prices go up to compensate

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Could you not get a limited mileage insurance policy? I don't know the ins and outs or criteria of them but they're usually pretty cheap.

On another note, I'm very surprised your Recaros haven't sold yet!

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Could you not get a limited mileage insurance policy? I don't know the ins and outs or criteria of them but they're usually pretty cheap.

On another note, I'm very surprised your Recaros haven't sold yet!

I'm going to phone a few insurance companies up i think and see what they can offer. I've only really checked online quotes, and reducing the mileage to around 2k a year, didn't make any noticeable difference. But a proper limited mileage policy may be a good option as in reality i'll not have much time to drive the car other than my commute to work, but if i kept it, i'd hope to do a couple of track days a year.

I think i probably priced them a little too high initially trying to get the money i paid back for them. They're currently a bargain considering the lower mounts are included.

Mine's a 2nd car used mainly for track with the very occasional road blast. I'm on a mirrored 3k limited mileage policy which is only £25 per month, plus I only tax it on track months, so around 8 months out the year. So it only costs me around £500 a year to run.

IMO if not used on track its pointless spending this amount of money just for the occasional b road blast, especially when you have the Z4.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Mine's a 2nd car used mainly for track with the very occasional road blast. I'm on a mirrored 3k limited mileage policy which is only £25 per month, plus I only tax it on track months, so around 8 months out the year. So it only costs me around £500 a year to run.

IMO if not used on track its pointless spending this amount of money just for the occasional b road blast, especially when you have the Z4.

Sky will mirror my NCB and will cover me for £380 with a low mileage usage (I was quoted £325 for my Z4 recently, for 12k miles), if i was to only tax for 8 months of the year, that'd be approx £580, so £48 a month. or £680 for the year and £56 a month

I do really like the Z4, and it suits my commute to work much more than the clio. But i already miss the experience the clio gives. So with that in mind, i think i'd be quite happy just taking it out for a blast around on the roads, the odd drive to work, and maybe a track day or two a year. I also know if i sell the clio and start to regret it, i'll end up throwing money at the Z4 on stuff like suspension, tyres and exhaust, etc.

I think i'm going to leave it up for sale and see what happens regardless, but may get it insured properly and start using it maybe once a week/fortnight. I can always just get it insured for an hour at a time using Cuvva or similar for the time being.

c4pob

ClioSport Club Member
  A terrible one
Sky will mirror my NCB and will cover me for £380 with a low mileage usage (I was quoted £325 for my Z4 recently, for 12k miles), if i was to only tax for 8 months of the year, that'd be approx £580, so £48 a month. or £680 for the year and £56 a month

I do really like the Z4, and it suits my commute to work much more than the clio. But i already miss the experience the clio gives. So with that in mind, i think i'd be quite happy just taking it out for a blast around on the roads, the odd drive to work, and maybe a track day or two a year. I also know if i sell the clio and start to regret it, i'll end up throwing money at the Z4 on stuff like suspension, tyres and exhaust, etc.

I think i'm going to leave it up for sale and see what happens regardless, but may get it insured properly and start using it maybe once a week/fortnight. I can always just get it insured for an hour at a time using Cuvva or similar for the time being.
I regret selling my 172. I knew it's entire history, it had always been looked after, got peanuts for it and if I was to buy another it would probably cost me more and I wouldn't have the comfort of knowing the car for nigh of a decade. In short, if you don't need to, don't sell it.