ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Considering a MacBook

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
looks like there is an update very soon according the apple sites with all the rumours on

197 FF Glacier White
Are MacBooks really that good?

I've been looking at MBA 11" and 13" for my business. Smaller the better as i need to transport it around alot

But £1000 price tag.... Is it really worth it?

P.s Ive never had a mac or any Apple stuff apart from the 1st gen Ipod lol... ive always been a Windows man so i know nothing lol

Battery life might be an issue for your use.

Octavia vRS tfsi
Thinking of getting an 13" Air. Can someone explain to me how I would go about installing something like Photoshop on it? I'm trying to square away in my mind that I don't actually need the disk drive that the 13" Pro offers.

Perrinho

ClioSport Club Member
Thinking of getting an 13" Air. Can someone explain to me how I would go about installing something like Photoshop on it? I'm trying to square away in my mind that I don't actually need the disk drive that the 13" Pro offers.

You use the external superdrive that it comes with....

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Me either. Got mine on the release day of iOS5. So hopefully it will be really soon. If they announce a new version within 28days of you buying your one they have to swap it for a new one.

Suppose that's the price you pay for keeping releases unannounced.

You can wait forever. So many of the rumours never come true.

It'll only be slight speed-bumps anyway. So if you're happy with what you've got, then don't worry.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I'm more than happy with what I've got (well I will be once I've got the 8GB upgrade from Crucial.) I couldn't wait around for any of these rumors to materialize because I needed one straight away. I'd just be pretty gutted if they release a new one a couple of days outside the 28 since I got mine. They have up till the 1st to announce a new one and still get mine upgraded.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I'd really like a new Pro but cant justify it when theres nothing wrong with my current 2008 Pro.

Do people think the pro will go down the same route as the Air? ie. shipped with no CD/DVD drive?

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I'd really like a new Pro but cant justify it when theres nothing wrong with my current 2008 Pro.

Do people think the pro will go down the same route as the Air? ie. shipped with no CD/DVD drive?

No chance. The point of a pro is that it has everything. The air just removed it so it could stay slimline and light weight.

BMW F31
You use the external superdrive that it comes with....

Just to clarify it doesn't actually come with the superdrive, its £66 on its own.

There's different ways to get software onto the Air.

Either use an external drive (I use my old xbox 360 HD DVD drive, works perfectly) or you can share the cd/dvd drive of another computer on your network.

Or you could go about using a thumb drive and putting the software on it and using it install.

Or you could just download it if your looking at purchasing it, if not already bought.

BMW F31
No chance. The point of a pro is that it has everything. The air just removed it so it could stay slimline and light weight.

Granted they're rumours, but there's talk of the Pro eventually having the dvd drive deleted, mainly so that Apple can you keep you in their little cocoon and then you have to download software from them.

Whether its right or wrong, I can see it happening eventually, I don't think I've used a PC/Mac dvd for ages apart from ripping my dvds :eek:, most things you can download now and software manufacturers are pushing downloads more and more.

Saves the planet too innit' ;)

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Me either. Got mine on the release day of iOS5. So hopefully it will be really soon. If they announce a new version within 28days of you buying your one they have to swap it for a new one.

Suppose that's the price you pay for keeping releases unannounced.

This is very good to know!

Octavia vRS tfsi
So, the new Pro was announced this morning

New : MacBook Pro.

We are delighted to announce the new MacBook Pro family featuring state-of-the-art processors, all-new graphics, and Thunderbolt, the breakthrough high-speed I/O technology.
New
MD313
MacBook Pro 13” Dual-Core i5 2.4GHz/4GB/500GB/HD Graphics/SD
MD314
MacBook Pro 13” Dual-Core i7 2.8GHz/4GB/750GB/HD Graphics/SD
MD318
MacBook Pro 15” Quad-Core i7 2.2GHz/4GB/500GB/HD Graphics/Radeon HD 6750M/SD
MD322
MacBook Pro 15” Quad-Core i7 2.4GHz/4GB/750GB/HD Graphics/Radeon HD 6770M/SD
MD311
MacBook Pro 17” Quad-Core i7 2.4GHz/4GB/750GB/HD Graphics/Radeon HD 6770M/SD

MacBook Pro features latest dual-core Core i5 and i7 processors, and for the ultimate performance quad-core Core i7 processors. This new generation of Intel Core processors is based on the new single-chip architecture featuring Turbo Boost 2.0 and Hyper-Threading available across the product line. The result is impressive, giving up to 2x the performance boost over the previous generation.

For the ultimate graphics performance the new MacBook Pro 15-inch and 17-inch feature the latest generation AMD Radeon HD graphics, performing up to 2x as fast than those in previous generation.

Thunderbolt, the breakthrough I/O technology is available on the new MacBook Pro. It lets you connect high-performance peripherals and high-resolution displays to a single port - with data transfer rates up to 10 Gbps.

MacBook Pro features a built-in FaceTime HD camera. Enjoy full-screen HD video calls that are astonishingly crisp.

MacBook Pro Family key messages:
- State-of-the-art processors
- All new graphics
- Thunderbolt, the breakthrough in I/O technology
- FaceTime HD camera
- Precision aluminum unibody enclosure
- World's greenest lineup of notebooks
- Ready out-of-the box with OS X Lion and iLife (iPhoto, iMovie and GarageBand)

13-inch MacBook Pro

The new 13-inch MacBook Pro is the high-performance notebook for everyone. It delivers a perfect combination of battery life, performance, and portable design.

It features top of the range dual-core Core i5 or i7 processors at up to 2.8GHz, achieving up to 2x the performance over the previous generation. Both models feature the new integrated Intel HD3000 graphics, 4GB of RAM at 1333MHz and a 500GB or 750GB HDD.

What's new with MacBook Pro 13-inch?
- Latest Intel Core processors
- Next generation Intel graphics
- FaceTime HD camera
- More Storage

15 and 17-inch MacBook Pro

The new 15-inch MacBook Pro is a mobile computing powerhouse. The new 17-inch model is the ultimate mobile studio. Both feature the latest Intel quad-core Core i7 processors with up to 2.4GHz and achieving up to 2x the performance over the previous generation. They also feature the latest graphics from AMD, the Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB or the Radeon HD 6770M with 1GB video memory, boosting up to 2x the performance over the previous generation. It comes standard with 4GB of RAM at 1333MHz and a 500GB or 750GB HDD.

What's new with MacBook Pro 15 and 17-inch?
- Latest Intel Core processors, quad-core processors across the product line
- Latest generation AMD Radeon HD discrete graphics processor plus integrated Intel HD3000 graphics
- FaceTime HD camera

Availability
All new MacBook Pro models are available to order Today.

AppleCare Protection Plan (APP) for MacBook Pro

Every MacBook Pro comes with 90 days of complimentary telephone technical support and one year H/W warranty.
APP for MacBook pro extends and enhances the complimentary coverage to three years from the purchase date.
APP provides WW Assistance with the complete MacBook Pro Solution:
WW Expert technical Support will assist with a broad range of questions:
Troubleshooting your MacBook Pro
Using the Mac OS
How to questions on iLife, iWork
Setting up AirPort networks, printers and more
Plus three years of WW repair coverage, both parts and labor.

APP also covers:
- Included accessories
- Apple memory (RAM)
- AirPort device & Time Capsule: When purchased up to two years before the MacBook Pro or during the term of APP coverage.
- Apple display purchased with your MacBook Pro.

Octavia vRS tfsi
Working here at the moment using the link I posted ..

I haven't tried to complete the final checkout but I can go the whole way through, speccing the maching/adding to basket.

Octavia vRS tfsi
Still working here using your link !

untitled.jpg

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
Has it been released? I can't see anything different about it on the new website. But yeah you can do it for up to 28 days :)

Physically it is no different. The 13" base model i bought a few days ago has a 320gb hard drive and a 2.3Ghz cpu, now it says 500Gb and 2.4Ghz. Small change but im still getting the newer one. The guy at the store said 14 days not 28 but they would give me a few days more due to it not actually being in stock yet.

Mondial 172Cup (A/C)
Has it been released? I can't see anything different about it on the new website. But yeah you can do it for up to 28 days :)

Returns through a retail store are 14 days. Not 28.

There doesn't seem to be ANY difference on the 15" MBP. Mine is exactly the same spec :/

There are differences:
Early 2011:
http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/screen-shot-2011-10-24-at-8-16-38-am.png

Late 2011:
http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/macbook.png

Megane 225 F1
I'm glad I waiting until now to buy mine then. 13 inch with 2.8 i7 and 750gb hdd. Thank you very much.

Megane 225 F1
Ordered at 1am this morning and its already being packed ready for Saturday delivery. Apple are good.

My bank are not however. got security checked trying to use my card. Asked me questions I had no idea the answer too.

AK

M240i
Ordered at 1am this morning and its already being packed ready for Saturday delivery. Apple are good.

My bank are not however. got security checked trying to use my card. Asked me questions I had no idea the answer too.

Y U NO BUY iPHONE?