ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Comprehensive Ph1 - Ph2 dash conversion guide?

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Hey guys,

Recently got hold on my Ph1 172, and hate the dashboard with a passion!
I am looking to swap it for a Ph2. I have seen it done on a few other threads, but it appears that no-one has put together a comprehensive guide to the process..
I was wondering if someone who has done the conversion, could walk through it, starting with where to start, what dash you need to get hold of to put in (with regards to heating controls, electronic and cable), detailing what problems you encounter etc etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as i love the Ph2 dash, but my Ph1 everywhere else! haha.

Cheers!!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Hey mate, the conversion is quite simple barr the bit that is highlighted in the guide I've been lead to believe.

When getting the ph2 dash, make sure you get both the dash and then the "harness" or "frame" for it too.

The main problem comes when trying to get a few elements wired up, but this is detailed in a guide :)

I'll maybe be doing mine if I find them time in a few months, so I'll do a guide then, alternatively if you decide to give it a crack be sure to take pictures etc and then (as I'm creating a new guides section for the site at the moment) I'll create a pretty PDF guide :)

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds awesome! I have found one for £130 the lot, so rather tempted by this.

After looking through couzens dash conversion, I can think of a few more problems that could be encountered. Such as the AC and air recirculation buttons? As his was not a 172, it doesnt come with these features does it? Sorry a complete noob to Clios, but I have swapped a few dashes over in the past!

Also, does a Ph1 172 use cable or electronic heater control dials?

I will probably be giving it a crack within the next few weeks! So will keep you lot updated. Will attempt to bodge as little as possible as I want it to be fairly decent :)

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
I am going to give it a go, but I will probably be on here every 2 minutes asking questions etc haha.

Do you know what controls a Ph1 172 has? As in whether they are electronic or cable operated?

Sorry, I have only had my Clio 3 days, havent had a chance to buy a Haynes Manual yet :p

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Also, what about the screen that displays outside temperature etc on the Ph1?
I see you can get Ph2 dashes with this as well, but surely the wiring wont be the same?
Just having a guess here lol

In the above post it is meant to say "Do you know what HEATER controls a Ph1 172 has?" haha woops!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I'm sure there are some threads to answer questions about that stuff, that screen you are referring to (I think) is a GPS screen mate.

I'll have a search on dash conversion stuff and get back to you :)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Right I'll post more as I read more, I'll probably spend my whole afternoon reading this now... lol!

It doesn't look easy but maybe we can figure it out between us? (with yours as the test mule ;))

Ripped out my old dash and imediatly run into problems, first problem was that the 172 dash's heating instruments were all electronic, and mine is all cable pulleys, so I got a pully system heater pannel from a dynamic.

I also naively thought that all the buttons would be plug and play, how wrong I was lol, another problem was the sterring wheel storks regarding the wipers, it was a button which alows you to speed up the wipers, which doesn't work on mine lol, did they make a ph2 which didnt have this?

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Right I'll post more as I read more, I'll probably spend my whole afternoon reading this now... lol!

It doesn't look easy but maybe we can figure it out between us? (with yours as the test mule ;))

Haha I have spent most of my day looking through it :p

Im happy for mine to be the test mule, im pretty handing with a dremel ;) haha

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Only thing I'm concerned about is getting the AC working in full, but I think if any buttons really don't wan to rewire, you could always mount it behind the existing button, so it presses it for you sort of thing....

I really want to do this now :(

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Haha im glad, because so do I!
The Ph2 dash is light years better than the Ph1.

Thats one of the buttons I was concerned about.. AC..
Im guessing you could use the existing wiring and switch, just swap the buttons ontop over kind of thing? Like couzens did with the hazards!

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Right!
Time to revive this thread.
I lost my love for the PH1, and wanted to get rid of it for a PH2 Cup.
But I have since seen the light, and my love has rekindled!

I have bought a dash from a Dynamique, so I will be ok for heating controls etc
Managed to get the lot for £110 posted! Including airbag, support frame and centre console, so was very happy with that :)

Unfortunately:

img2010110200030.jpg

So no work will be commencing for a good 5 weeks yet!

But I will be sure to update with the progress, and problems encountered etc :D

Jap Box
Shame on the arm! But good job with going ahead with the dash conversion, im wanting to do this too and would be great to have some other guides on here going through it all :)

Jap Box
Yeah I know, broken my wrist unfortunately.
I hope it will be of some use to people, and hope it is do-able!!

Ahh breaking my finger was bad enough!

Yeah it should be do-able, judging by the previous thread I think it sems easier to kep the old center console in the car though around the gear stick, and possibly just spraying that the same colour as the PH2 dash? Ive got 3 PH1 center consoles to mess with anyway and 2 PH1 complete dash's :)

Same goes for heater controls, possibly spray them to match then fibre glass around them or something so it looks more flush, rather than re-wire everything.

If you need any PH1 dash spares anyway ive go a garage full of them so just hit me up and ill do them cheap :)

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Ahh breaking my finger was bad enough!

Yeah it should be do-able, judging by the previous thread I think it sems easier to kep the old center console in the car though around the gear stick, and possibly just spraying that the same colour as the PH2 dash? Ive got 3 PH1 center consoles to mess with anyway and 2 PH1 complete dash's :)

Same goes for heater controls, possibly spray them to match then fibre glass around them or something so it looks more flush, rather than re-wire everything.

If you need any PH1 dash spares anyway ive go a garage full of them so just hit me up and ill do them cheap :)

Yeah this thing hurts!

I am going to see how hard the wiring will be, part of my project really, to get a PH2 dash into a PH1 with everything working is my goal!

Going to look good when done, and if I manage to get everything working and fitting correctly!

Thanks for that, will let you know if I need anything :D

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Right, I'm not sure why kerry has said about keeping the centre console gear stick bit, you'd be mental too, and it should just be a straight swap... not to mention the ph1 one wouldn't meet the bottom of the dash properly.

When I saw the link you sent me, I thought it was a guide, nearly creamed.

If you want any help on anything just get it posted up and I'll do my damn best.

I want LOTS of photos and information! I mean lots ;)

This will look so good, so good I'll cry, buy a dash and do mine straight away... lol!

If you wasn't so far away, I'd be over and just do the manual stuff for you!

You guys know you'll need the Ph2 door cards too, right? The dash is moulded around them when the door's shut.

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Right, I'm not sure why kerry has said about keeping the centre console gear stick bit, you'd be mental too, and it should just be a straight swap... not to mention the ph1 one wouldn't meet the bottom of the dash properly.

If you want any help on anything just get it posted up and I'll do my damn best.

This will look so good, so good I'll cry, buy a dash and do mine straight away... lol!

Im sure you wont be disappointed!

Will get as many pictures and details as physically possible!!

Yeah I will be changing the centre console etc.

Sorry for this taking 4 months to come around haha and at the worst time, with a broken wrist!

Also sorry for getting your hopes up, but I will try not to disappoint!

Very much looking forward to this now!! :D

Jap Box

Ahh I thought the PH1 center console was basically the same shape as PH2 but just had bits in different areas. Id have kept it as moving the central locking buttons etc would be a pain in the arse.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Different colour, different gear gaitor shape, so if you kept the ph1 one, the gear gaitor would be blue.

Plus, if you're going to do it, man up and do it properly.

Fancy a project, Mike?

Jap Box
Different colour, different gear gaitor shape, so if you kept the ph1 one, the gear gaitor would be blue.

Plus, if you're going to do it, man up and do it properly.

Fancy a project, Mike?

That wouldnt bother me really, wouldnt getting the gaitor off be a pain as the stick top is glued on?

Would be better to have to all changed in total though yeah. If someone can do a decent guide for this ill be sure to get it done myself :)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
That wouldnt bother me really, wouldnt getting the gaitor off be a pain as the stick top is glued on?

Would be better to have to all changed in total though yeah. If someone can do a decent guide for this ill be sure to get it done myself :)

Gaitor is table tied/poppered around the top of the stick, no problems there.

Meh. It'd take me twenty minutes to swap over. (;

I'd like to see it! No really.

They don't.

They do.

MAGH on here, ph1 dash, ph2 door cards, perfect fit.

OLR

Ph1 172 and Red 197
Ive done this already and done a wiring guide on getting the ac, heated rear windows working with the new diles along with the lights.

See guide section for it.

ph1 door cards fit fine. You need all of the Dash from the ph2 and a heater unit from a poverty spec ph2. It fits exactly the same as the ph1 dash, but you need to drill two holes to mount the ph1 clocks

Il put up some pics laters so you can see what it looks like.

P>S the locking and hazard buttons can not be rewired.

drop me a pm if you need any help

OLR

Ph1 172 and Red 197
Meh. It'd take me twenty minutes to swap over. (;

dont dout that, about 30mins for me.

Rewiring took about 2 days coz its a f*ck with the wires being so short :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: