ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Complaint to Renault - Updated

Here goes, I've had enough of the crap reliability of my Clio and general incompetence I've suffered at the hands of Renault dealerships on many many occasions. So I'm sending the following letter to Renault Customer Services and also Arnold Clark (of which 2 of the 3 dealerships involved are).

Today's problems have just pushed me to write this letter - major rattle, probably something bearing-related to do with the alternator/water pump. Horrendous metallic rattle at about 3k revs. Might not be a particularly serious problem (or it might, who knows) but it's the latest of several problems.

Anyway, I'm well pissed off so if you see me driving tomorrow don't get in my way :evil:. Lets see what sort of response I get to this.
Ally

Dear Sir / Madam;

The life of “Clio” – my Renaultsport Clio 172

I am writing on behalf of “Clio”, my car. He is very disappointed at having to go back to the garage once again for another repair. Being just over 2½ years old he just doesn’t understand why all the other cars are out driving while he has to stay in the garage. His story begins:

2nd April 2004:
Someone wants me! Ally has just brought me home from Motorpoint in Glasgow. I’m a 2004 model Clio 172 and I’m an import from France but I’ve still got my 3 years warranty – I hope that won’t be needed though…

January 2006:
I’ve got a rattle under my bonnet. I’m not sure what it was, but the mechanics at Arnold Clark in Grangemouth had a look at me and sorted the rattle – something to do with my water pump they said, after looking at me on two separate occasions.

February 2006:
Smoke! My alternator has burnt out. Back to Arnold Clark in Grangemouth (I hate car garages!) and they’ve fitted a new alternator.

March 2006:
I’m ill again. I’ve got a very noisy rattle under my bonnet which sounded just like the rattle I had in January. Back into Arnold Clark Grangemouth – again – and they’ve diagnosed that my timing was “out by 4 teeth”. This seems very strange as I was performing normally. Ally checked with a Renault Technical Expert on www.renaultsport.co.uk who said that it’s highly unlikely my timing was out by 4 teeth as I’d be very sick: my engine wouldn’t have run very well (if at all) and I wouldn’t have performed. Ally wasn’t very happy so he had me looked at by Parks Renault in Dunfermline who checked my timing and also checked to see that my compression ratio was OK – it was so my valves seem to be OK (they’ve not been bent as could have happened if my timing had actually been out). That cost Ally £60.00 of his own money! Unfortunately Parks Renault washed me (despite Ally telling them NOT to wash me) with a floor brush and a bucket of dirty water and have scratched my paint and glass all over – Ally managed to fix the scratches in my paint but my rear window is still very bad.

May 2006:
What now??!! I’m stranded at the roadside, Ally’s just driven me back from Stirling to Falkirk in the dark and wet with no lights or wipers as I’ve got no electrical power: none of my electrics work – lights, wipers, instruments, central locking, interior lights, nothing! I was taken to Arnold Clark again, this time in Stirling as the staff at Arnold Clark Grangemouth were rude and threatening towards Ally last time. Arnold Clark in Stirling found a wire was “broken” between my alternator and my battery – I wonder how that happened? The garage won’t speculate on the cause, but I think it’s strange this happened to me soon after my alternator was replaced…

May 2006 (+24hrs):
Ally’s had me back for 24 hours and I’m rattling again. It’s not too loud at the moment and because Ally’s moving house he can’t take me to the garage (I don’t want to go anyway!). An independent mechanic that Ally knows looked at me and identified my rattle as coming from my alternator, but because I’m still under warranty I need to be fixed by a Renault garage. The mechanic also thinks my engine mounts are a bit worn as my engine and gearbox move a lot compared to the mechanic’s own Clio 172.

13th July 2006:
Ally took me back to Arnold Clark in Stirling – this is starting to feel like a second home to me. They found that a bolt securing my alternator to me was missing, causing the rattle which was very loud now. Again they won’t speculate on how this might have happened, but Renault UK would not authorise this work to be carried out as a warranty repair. Arnold Clark Stirling had to claim the cost of my work from Arnold Clark Grangemouth. Although they won’t say so, it seems from Renault UK’s reaction that Arnold Clark Grangemouth didn’t fix me properly when they fitted my alternator in February (why wasn’t I worked on under warranty? I’ve still got one). And they didn’t find anything wrong with my engine mounts, their service manager said I’m a very smooth running car.

14th July 2006:
Ally’s not very happy at all. He’s only just got me back from Arnold Clark Stirling and my passenger side headlamp washer is leaking, plus my electrics are all to pot! When my headlights are switched on my driver’s side xenon unit doesn’t work, and when Ally flicks me onto full-beam my driver’s side indicators all light up and my fullbeam goes out. What’s wrong!?

20th July 2006 (approx):
In at Arnold Clark Stirling again! They replaced my headlamp washers which were leaking and also sorted my electrics (I hope). Seemed to be that there was a problem with the earth connection but the garage wasn’t sure.

20th July 2006 (later that day):
Who was the numpty that fitted my front bumper after the repairs?!! Because they didn’t do it up properly and missed out most of the screws holding it on. As I was being driven home from the garage my bumper dropped down and almost came off! That could’ve been very dangerous and it was just lucky Ally noticed it and pulled over immediately before it caused a serious accident.

21st July 2006:
Since I couldn’t be driven very far, Ally had to take me back to Arnold Clark in Grangemouth – oh no this won’t be good! The mechanics there put in a few more screws to hold the bumper on more securely. Hopefully that’s it now.

22nd July 2006:
My bumper is STILL NOT FITTED PROPERLY!!!!!! Two garages, two different sets of mechanics and they STILL can’t complete a simple task such as fitting a front bumper properly. Ally was driving me through to Glasgow when the bumper came loose again. He’s so angry with the garages that it’s probably just as well we’re not anywhere near Stirling or Grangemouth. Ally drove me home – slowly – and fixed my bumper on properly himself. See, it wasn’t that hard, was it?!!

25th September 2006:
Here we go again… This time there’s a very loud rattle from the engine bay when the revs reach about 3000rpm. Ally thinks it sounds very much like bearings or a pulley attached to the water pump or – more than likely since it’s been replaced once already and worked on numerous times – my alternator. A mechanic friend of Ally’s also thinks this is what’s rattling. Ally’s not happy at all.

The end (for Clio????)

Well, I’m sure you’ll agree that no car should suffer the problems that I’ve highlighted above. I understand that every litter has its runt, but I am extremely fed up with all of the trouble that I have had with this car and seriously doubt I will ever buy another Renault again. The amount of problems and level of ineptitude I’ve experienced with the vehicle and Renault dealerships is, in my opinion, absolutely shocking – I trust you agree.

As I write this I am debating my next course of action. Obviously – as much as I hate doing it – I must return my car to a Renault garage to have the latest problem rectified under warranty. But I am seriously worried about the consequences and financial implications should I continue to suffer the frequency and seriousness of problems that I’ve suffered so far in owning this car.

I am very concerned that my warranty runs out in just under four months and I will be left with a car that requires more trips to the garage to replace and repair faults that have come about through manufacturing problems and/or problems with Renault dealerships. I would like “Clio” to be fixed once and for all. Also, given the problems and issues highlighted above, I feel a “courtesy” 12-month extension of my warranty as a goodwill gesture would be appropriate compensation for all of the trauma that “Clio” and I have been through, and also as reassurance against future problems that may occur.

What do you think? I await your response.

R35 GTR
Re: Complaint to Renault

Sums it up very nicely. I had some more problems today, apparently a chip can cause an oil pump to fail, little did they realise they werent talking to some numpty who doesnt know a few things.

So after a little explaining on exactly how the oil pump failed, the jobs were done.

Burgandy 174 sport t

U will get bollox all Ally I realise u have had major probs I consider that to be less than what I suffered with my Dci years ago and I got a free service at the same incompetant (sp) garage that fucked it in the first place and 250 quids worth of vouchers to buy more parts that break.

U got me goin now lol, hope u get something I wrote a similar letter it was called "My clio diary"

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member

Bloody hell mate, and i thought my MK2 172 had a few niggles/faults. I have now given up with my local Renault dealership and now take her to Mike@Rentech when she needs a service or if a problem occurs.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5

Have you changed the charcoal cannister to a 182 plastic one???

Mine used to sound like a bingo machine ticking, clicking, rattling.

You could hear it in the car, sounds like it comes from cambelt area, but in fact it's further forward.

20 mins to change, cured mine.

Mini Cooper S sport

Nice to see good English for a change (sorry if that sounds patronising, it's not intended!)

I've had a few minor niggles with my car but OMG after all that I'd dump it on the Arnold Clark forecourt and demand one that works! Good luck with the complaint but I doubt you'll squeeze a years' warranty out of them.

Lovely letter, I wish you well.

You should write motoring anecdotes, become rich like Clarkson and spend your days driving press cars at someone elses expense.

Racing Blue said:
Nice to see good English for a change (sorry if that sounds patronising, it's not intended!)

I've had a few minor niggles with my car but OMG after all that I'd dump it on the Arnold Clark forecourt and demand one that works! Good luck with the complaint but I doubt you'll squeeze a years' warranty out of them.
Ur rite its grate too c sum propr nglish hear on cliosport :rasp:. Seriously, the standard of English spelling and grammar on here is annoying sometimes...

Not holding out for much of a response, but it's got to be worth trying.

BMW E46 330i Touring

Excellent letter mate, although probably too intelligent for the Renault monkeys and they'll think you're some mentalist talking about when you personally went to Renault to get fixed on several occasions:

"Dear Ally,

We regret to inform you that we are a car dealership and garage and not a Doctor's surgery / Hospital. Accordingly, it would be both impractical and unlikely that any of our highly trained mechanics would have undertaken any work on your person...."

I would leave out the bit about what you consider suitable compensation though mate, it gives them something to haggle over. Just say you await their response and any suggestions for suitable compensation...

RenaultSport clio 182

Hope you get it sorted mate. Renault garages in my experience aren't worth bothering with, they really don't care. Hopefully I won't have to visit one ever again.

Tweaked Leon Cupra R

i think it's great!! haha.. clio's have hearts, the mechanic at the parks reno in dunfermline told me that! lol

just kidding!

good luck!

Mustang, S13, AX GT

They might do something, or they might be a bit 'offended' by you're car telling them a story, then again they could attempt to buy it from you for a large sum of cash to sell it as the car that has enough of a personality to write letters... Couldn't some-one 'refer' renault to this site, loads and loads of complaints about renault Customer service that they really need to be made aware.

Received acknowledgement of my complaint from Arnold Clark Customer Services who're "investigating". No response from Renault CS so far...

Should I post this on Renaultsport too I wonder???

Iceberg 172

its good that you're putting your experiences into writing but I dont think the style suits a formal complaint. Whilst it is entertaining I think a more professional style would be better suited. To add to that, i havent heard of too many people having much luck with renault complaints. Lets hope yours does :)

Did anyone see when watchdog highlighted an issue with the mk2 Ph1 bonnet catch? Renault simply denied the issue and didnt take any action. If this is the kind of response they give to a broadcaster then I dont have high hopes for the little guy :(

172 cup TT

nice one- have you sent a copy to both garages and to reno uk?.. send the bugger everywhere.. even multiple copies to each garage.. you want the numpties that worked on it to read it...

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5

Waitey said:
part number steve please

Don't know it, plastic cannister under drivers side headlight area.

Sounds like a worn tensioner!!!!!!!!

damon said:
its good that you're putting your experiences into writing but I dont think the style suits a formal complaint. Whilst it is entertaining I think a more professional style would be better suited. To add to that, i havent heard of too many people having much luck with renault complaints. Lets hope yours does :)
I went for the humorous approach! Actually took advice about ways to make your complaint stand out (because let's face it, Renault must get them by the sackful) and this was one of the approaches that was suggested. Not expecting too much, but gotta try.

Floodie said:
nice one- have you sent a copy to both garages and to reno uk
Aye, sent it to both garages, Renault UK Customer Services, and also a copy to Renault UK's Managing Director!!! Surely that can't ALL ignore it, that's my thinking...

The latest problem (the rattle around 3k revs) was actually the fuel rail guard coming loose. Some muppet can't have tightened it properly when it was last in for warranty work. They suggested it might've happened at the last service as they need to remove this to get to the oil filter (which is complete b****cks), but since I was personally present as my father-in-law serviced my car (and didn't touch the fuel rail guard), I don't think so!

Good news is that that car's sounding healthy again. Can't help but love driving it when it works :evil:, but it's the lack of reliability and complete incompetence of dealers that's making me consider selling up and moving on to better things.

Blue Clio 182

Arrrrrr Ally i nearly cried at that letter, I see my car as "my baby" and that brought a tear to my eye, Do you have a name for clio? I really hope you get somewhere with it, if i received a letter like that I would respond more than if i got a snotty letter

Nah not got a name for it, it was the wife you suggested calling it "Clio" for the purposes of the letter! She wanted to called it "little Ally" after, ahem.... ;)

VW ....

can't believe all the probs you have had ,as you know we both got ours at the same time pretty much yet all i've had go wrong with mine is a loose relay for my xenon's which was fixed in 5 mins while i waited .

anyways good luck with your letter ,if you dont ask you dont get ....

Ally said:
The latest problem (the rattle around 3k revs) was actually the fuel rail guard coming loose. Some muppet can't have tightened it properly when it was last in for warranty work. They suggested it might've happened at the last service as they need to remove this to get to the oil filter (which is complete b****cks)

actually, it does help a lot if you remove the fuel rail guard to get to the filter...

but anyway, hope you get it sorted...

Oi! Stop being pedantic ;). I know it helps but I was saying it doesn't have to be removed - we've never removed it anytime we've changed the oil filter (2 seperate 172s in the family). Having big hands like me it'd actually probably make it easier if we did LOL...

Scott - just your Donald Duck sometimes. Rory also got his 182 a month or so after us and he's only had a few problems (shocks).

197-I love!!!

Excellent letter-What a nightmare-They should really give you some sort extra compensation(A Bugatti Veyron!!!) on top of another years warranty.Hope it goes well and let us know what happens-Good luck.

BMW E46 330i Touring

Can't even bloody remove my fuel rail guard :( Been tryin to fit a polished one but can't get the bloody bolt out of the middle hole...

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)

In their defence, it is an option to remove the fuel rail to change the filter. GDI did mine that way.

R35 GTR

polarbert said:
In their defence, it is an option to remove the fuel rail to change the filter. GDI did mine that way.

It's also an option to remove a wheel to replace discs or pads.;)

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274

lol, good letter and very good luck with it - let us know what (if you get one) the response is.

By the way, I thought Herbie was a VW?

tiTTy & SV650

Ally said:
Rory also got his 182 a month or so after us and he's only had a few problems (shocks).

yer arse lol I've had a lot more than just shocks, I just don't moan about it ;)

5 shocks, engine oil leak, leaking washer jet, brake pressure sensor switch (twice), boot load headlight adjuster thing, exhaust, lambda sensor etc etc

;) aye but moaning might get you something for it (just waiting for arrival before I elaborate on that one - hush hush!)

e60 M5 -172- dciheid

Big Iain said:
U will get bollox all Ally I realise u have had major probs I consider that to be less than what I suffered with my Dci years ago and I got a free service at the same incompetant (sp) garage that f**ked it in the first place and 250 quids worth of vouchers to buy more parts that break.

U got me goin now lol, hope u get something I wrote a similar letter it was called "My clio diary"

^^ ledge

i wrote also, got an extension of sod all. Pisch. Got told £500 for a years extension.

GREAT

e60 M5 -172- dciheid

fUbAr said:
actually, it does help a lot if you remove the fuel rail guard to get to the filter...

but anyway, hope you get it sorted...

mine suffered the same problem, from the same garage - see a theme there!!

comedy stuff

Dash said:
Are you certain your car is a he?
lol. When I actually think about it, my Clio's been so temperemental in the past that it MUST be female...

;)

*runs and hides*