ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cold start = coughing, spluttering juddering for 1 minute, then fine

Looking for 182
Hi all,

The past 2 (cold) mornings my car has started first time, but the idle has been a bit all over the place. From the exhausts it was kind of "coughing" a bit, if that makes sense. The first time it happened I drove away and it was very juddery and losing power, then suddenly it was fine.

This morning, it did it again, and I just waited. I was by the exhausts and it was doing the same, then all of a sudden there was a final "splutter" and it began running perfectly.

Any ideas what this might be?

Spanks

Looking for 182
JMS induction kit
Standard performance remap
Milltek cat back - with modified cat (2.5" exit), centre silencer removed

I think that's it. Nothing significant has changed though, it was fine with all of the above, then suddenly it's not.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
A '182 will most likely use an actuated/stepper controlled TB so no IACV.

I'd guess at either H02-1, CTS, CPS or faulty ignition system (Check for moisture in plug wells)

Mk5 golf gti
Possibly a faulty lambda contributing to it?

And it's running fine once warm

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
If its say a faulty heater... maybe. Diagnostics Live Data FTW

Looking for 182
I know what you all mean, I had the kangaroo thing most mornings, but when I remapped the car this eliminated it completely. It's just odd that it hasn't been like this, and now when I start from cold it's really coughing and spluttering, more so that the 'normal' thing I would get before the remap.

It was better this morning, fine when I started, then spluttered a bit, but pulled away as normal. I'll keep an eye on it but won't worry too much for now.

inferno 182cup
its prob fine man but jus incase pop it on live data an graph the coolant temp sensor from dead cold see if there is drop out's or silly start up temp like -2000 degree if u could graph 4 or more lines of data from cold then add front o2 sensor(make sure the o2s heater is going on an off it too), air intake temp sensor......... genrally go from there

Looking for 182
It did it again this morning, and I got a video of it. See how it suddenly just kicks into life towards the end of the video:

[youtube]ZxUj6NZVGVY[/youtube]

Normal?

Milltek'd clio 182
coil or spark, juddery motion on my girlfriends car was a coil had gone and it was horrible, soon as it was changed the car was perfectly fine again

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Chances are it prob will be the coil. In time it will get worse. Has the engine management light come on?

Dan

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Ah right. Was going to say if it stays on get it diasgnosed at an auto electricians. or maybe it will rectify itself all on its own, you never know.

Dan.

Clio Sport 182
Did you ever find cause of this? I have exact same symptoms since changing exhaust today. Did a check with the stalk button and it comes with letter j. Injector problem? My eml is also on now and wasnt before today.

Clio Sport 182
My car now sorted! Diagnosed as faulty pre cat lambda. New one fitted, car goes much better. Just hope the fuel economy improves. We'll see what it's like in the morning when fully cold compared to the previous mornings.