ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cold air feed needed?

172 Cup
Thanks mate. He's smarter than I am that is for sure. One benefit of tinkering has been that I have set it better now so it's directly behind the n/s headlamp as recommended.

I think it could be done pretty cheap. Airbox isn't expensive and panel filter is £35. Probably similar costs to the ram air fatty style kit. That's if you relocate your original battery to the boot though. The lightweight one in the scuttle was £100.

Air boxes / induction has been done to death here but I can only report my feelings and its definitely a lot stronger with this fitted. Particularly low down and responsiveness. It may not affect max bhp but the extra shove early in the range makes it much quicker and nicer to drive on the road. The rstuner map has made a big difference too to be fair.

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
Wonder if it's worth fitting a slightly bored out throttle body to help push more air in?

not in the slightest.
The standard TB is capable of handling enough airflow for around 300bhp, I've seen bored out and matched T/B's compared to standard ones and the only difference is the money missing from the bank.

e92 m3
For those that are interested, the airbox is a ph2 v6 box, the exact same as the 197 cup car, R3 maxi cars etc. the air box and piping was about £90 all in exc. the redtop battery. The AB doesn't weigh anymore than the orginal, required none of the original metal brackets etc. Didn't really care much about looks, couldn't really see it when driving...

Re: battery replacement/relocation, the red top is less than half the weight of the original which I wanted to dump at the time anyway. I would have put this under the passenger seat in hindsight. The relocated waterbottle is a camelbak I had lying about - wouldn't recommend this, PITA to re-fill!

With the above mods and a few weight savings measures besides I managed to save about 22kg all in. My aim was to get to 1,000kg with a full(ish) interior. I had a weigh bridge verified 1020kg to start which means I should have been close to 172bhp/ton.

If I was taking it on track more often, I would invest in a 1*2 cup car headlight with CAF built in Kos, will feed directly through with a straight pipe run.

Last edited:
  172 Cup
Hi Rob, thanks for clearing that up.

Car is a real credit to you. My old Subaru mechanic has taken a real shine to it. Big grin on his face after working a little / driving it. Confirmed what I knew about it going and stopping rather well! His opinion is that it will keep a lot of things honest at Knockhill which is big praise considering the cars he prepares for just that.