ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cold air feed needed?

172 Cup
Hi guys,

I bought my 172 Cup in June and the previous owner had fitted this airbox. It doesn't look like other V6 ones I have seen - is it an Espace one? It's fitted with a panel filter and does make a nice sound.

My water temp needle usually sits just below half. On hard driving / acceleration it climbs a fraction to halfway.

Is it getting enough air there or should I fit a feed? If I should where to route it and I take it 70mm will be sufficient?

Cheers

image.jpg

image.jpg

172 Cup
Haha yeah I did wonder a little! Hopefully someone will know. If you google V6 airbox an occasional picture of one like this comes up.

172 Cup
Getting a chuckle out of this :smile:

Surely someone must have one like this or know what it is?! The guy went to a fair bit of effort relocating a smaller expensive battery to fit this. Other things done point to a fair bit of knowledge and common sense...

172 Cup
Google - yep It's a Ph2 V6 255 airbox.

May or may not keep it. 20kg? It's plastic not made of lead :-D

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Well, that's different. No idea if its any better than the standard setup though, probably a waste of money and effort.

172 Cup
I doubt it's better than standard. It gives a loud warble / roar if that's your thing. It's not mine so will be looking at changing. Either OE or ph1 airbox.

172 Cup
Hopefully it will cover what I want to change it for! Someone looking for more noise over their current box

172 Cup
Yeah it is a bit! It pulls really well from low down, particularly since I put the 98 octane map on last week.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Has the previous owner gone through all the effort to relocate the battery, fit a oil catcher & tilt the coolant bottle, just to fit a v6 air box?

172 Cup
In a nutshell, yep. I thought it would have been a more recognised thing here. He had the car since 2007 and looked after it well. Everything else is orthodox.

Megane 225 f1
The issue with your temperature is your thermostat. Common on these clios, reccommend new thermostat and coolant change.

172 Cup
Dug out the box of bits that came with the car and found original airbox!

Don't know if its fitted perfectly but it's fine. The cold air feed which was a b**ch to squeeze thru a tight gap so left it off. Breather pipe at top missing also. Don't know if that'll do much?

Took for a spin and its a little quieter. Doesn't sound as good though. It's never going to be a quiet car and its lost the rumble / warble at low revs which I quite liked in hindsight.

Driving wise though it is definitely less responsive low down and feels slower up till about 4k. After that it feels quick and a decent shove in back but don't think quicker than before.

Overall not as good I'm sure. Going to stick the V6 one back on. Also noticed the V6 has a nice KTEC panel filter inside. Will get it on the RR next month and see what it's putting out.

image.jpg

172 Cup
A little more digging and they seem to use this airbox on the Clio R3 rally car.
image.jpg

A few 197s have it too.
image.jpg

172 Cup
So the cold air feed pipe goes to the bottom hole? Not the hole on the right hand side? Where does the pipe go? Below the headlamp?

My battery has been relocated under the scuttle (left hand side). Basically above the left hand strut top.

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
you want to get that breather blocked up or piped back in.
It won't be happy if it sucks in any grit!

On the standard airbox, there are 2 cold feeds, on goes through the hole just infront of the airbox behind the headlight, the other goes downwards iirc.

If your battery is under the scuttle, wheres the washer fluid bottle gone?!

172 Cup
Refitted V6 box this morning. It's certainly a tight fit in there. Took it out for a drive and the low down pull and immediate throttle response is back. It's far superior. Chap I bought it from obviously knows a lot more than I do!

Here's the battery location
image.jpg

Washer bottle removed and replaced with this under the passenger seat
image.jpg

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
I read it as the battery was on the other side where the washer bottle normally lives.

Right odd setup you've got going on there!

172 Cup
It's certainly unusual isn't it. The previous owner was an engineer, mature too and he obviously really wanted to fit that box as it's been a lot of effort. I will need to get it on the RR to see what it puts out.

Here's the spec when I bought:
V6 255 airbox
KTEC sports cat, centre and backbox
KTEC engine, gearbox and polybush dogbone mounts
New Cup dampers
Brembo high carbon discs
Mintex 1144 pads
Magnecor leads

Since buying:
98 RON map
Eibach sportline springs
4 PS3s
KTEC braided brake lines
Hunter alignment
New rear calipers
New top mount bearings
172 cup pillar badges
OE mats

Pic taken before eibachs fitted:

image.jpg

172 Cup
I would agree! I've learnt my lesson - don't waste time and effort pissing about with things he has done better than I could in the first place.

Anyway, loving the car. It went to Rentec for belts, service and full health check when I got it and they were happy.

I'm getting through my to-do list now. Wheel refurb (silver of course) and I'm done. I was considering a rear ARB but love the handling as it is tbh so that will be on the back burner. Will stick a thread up in the media section when I can.

Going to track it next year. Great little cars.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I don't think those are the same airbox in the 197 and R3 rally car, those ones look a fair bit smaller.
If you refitted the original box but didn't reconnect all the hoses right it might explain why it felt slightly odd to drive.

172 Cup
Yeah I was missing one hose however I think that this is now directed right at the airflow behind the headlight so happier.

From what I can find on 197 net and also a few old posts here it seems to be the same box. Possibly angled slightly differently on mine so it fits- that's why we see a different side.

I know these things won't make much difference to a standard one but I certainly didn't want to be losing any performance because of it. I'll only know for sure when it gets put on RR but I must say it feels strong for 170 bhp quoted.

Some other pics I found:
image.jpg

image.jpg

172 Cup
:up: Agreed. Would appear I have answered my own question but I suppose part of the fun is learning yourself eh!

And if anyone wants one- B&Q have a cracking deal on Flymos at the mo 😂

Clio 172, Abarth 500
I'm not sure how anyone else feels but I love it! Would love to have known the overall cost of this mod vs the performance gain. Wonder if it's worth fitting a slightly bored out throttle body to help push more air in?
If you Track it mate, you should consider a head light cold air feed mod, there must be something you can do to get a direct cold air feed into that bad boy!
I work with a lot of engineers, strange creatures...... however they are pretty damn smart!