ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coilover springs - interchangeable?

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
Hi All

As per the topic, does anyone know whether coilover springs are typically interchangeable between manufacturers? I just bought a set of SPAX RSX but have a set of Gaz 550lb springs that I was going to fit on the track car. I can't do any measurements yet as they haven't arrived but was hoping someone could shed some light on it.

Thanks!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
they are all fairly standard sizes, 550lb is seriously hard though, even for a track car.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
by standard I mean that if gaz use 2.25" and spax do then yes should be able to interchange if the heights are similar

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
As coops says so long as they are same diameter you should be fine. 2.25 and 2.5 are most common IME

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
they are all fairly standard sizes, 550lb is seriously hard though, even for a track car.

Thanks for your replies, both. 550lb was the recommendation from Gaz when I told them my requirements... the car is pure track, not for the road, ever. I think the SPAX come with 400lb springs, they may be fine. All I know is that the GAZ GHA's were surprisingly good on track but the springs were just too soft... upon hard cornering they compressed too much and the wheels scraped - even with no spacing.