ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coilover rebuilding

plees

ClioSport Club Member
  S/C Iceberg 172 Cup
I have a set of St suspension coilovers off my Vauxhall combo van. Yes I know not strictly a Clio but I’m sure this thread could come in handy for others at some point.

One of them has started leaking so I’m looking to get it sorted with a new seal or a rebuild if possible.

I have spoke to kw suspension who manufacture them but was wondering if there are any other options.

Cheers!

406 V6, Race Buggy
Depends, a lot of those cheap units aren't worth bothering as you can't get the pistons and shims. Just seals and oil is generally easy so long as they're threaded and not welded though.

plees

ClioSport Club Member
  S/C Iceberg 172 Cup
Been told they can be rebuilt by kw, but was wondering if it can be a home job or if anyone has any better recommendations really.

At a glance they seem to be threaded at the top of the damper so should unscrew.

Have you done any before @PhillipM

plees

ClioSport Club Member
  S/C Iceberg 172 Cup
Couldn’t tell you For sure. This is the top of the damper though:

Attachments

• EFAF7347-7804-4F09-B82B-EAAEE33388F7.png
    EFAF7347-7804-4F09-B82B-EAAEE33388F7.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 59
Does your damper have a Schraeder valve on the bottom? Or sometimes it’s presta and sometimes it’s a needle valve, similar to a football.

The bit on top looks like a wiper seal, not an oil seal, very similar to the Twingo R-whatever-it-is Sachs.

If it’s a monotube you need a source of compressed gas. Usually factory filled with nitrogen as it’s more stable with temp. Typically 15 - 30 bar depending on damper dimensions & type of vehicle etc.

Be extremely careful taking them apart. Sending a piston rod through the garage roof because you’ve done things in the wrong order is a little bit amusing, but joking aside pressurised oil in your eye is probably not funny.

If you’re replacing shims/pistons you absolutely do need to use a torque wrench and the correct type of nut/locktite.

Twintubes are more easily do-able DIY.

Neither are “oh just fill it up with oil” though. You really do need to get the correct volume to prevent knocking noises or cavitation when riding kerbs etc.