ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clutch vibration and transmission squeak

Mini R56 JCW 211bhp
Afternoon people

This first part may be irrelevant or may not so I'll mention it anyway.
2 nights ago I had an intermittant "STOP" and handbrake light coming up. Brakes seemed spot on still. Had a quick look and brake fluid seemed a bit low so I topped it up. Couldn't see a fill line (could be covered in mank and dirt) but it seemed to take quite a bit before it was about 0.5cm from the top. I replaced the lid (none spilled out). End of story....

But no, the next time I drove the car, the clutch seems to judder when pulling away forward or backward. Also I seem to have a metallic "squeak" or almost rattle when easing off and accelerating. My exhaust has been recently adjusted by me and I lifted it up altering the middle hanger but dropped it down slightly as I seemed to be catching the middle heat shield. And at the rear, pulled the exhaust right up into the bumper using the wrap-around brace it has (It is a KTec stealth so this is how it should be apparently). The exhaust seems quieter now but I've developed the other symptoms since. One other thing I've noticed is that the exhaust seems to lengthen by around 1cm when it warms up and it catches on a part of the metal frame behind the bumper. I've bent a small part of the frame down to stop this and cut the bumper slightly as it was also catching this too.

Anyone able to offer any advice or suggestions? I'm going to suspect people say engine mounts are soft and need replaced. Any definite method to confirm this?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
More likely to be a worn clutch/pressure plate fault/contamination issue.

Mini R56 JCW 211bhp
To add to this, it was still there today but didn't seem as bad. Seems worse when the car is cold or turning with alot of lock on. Just vibrates after and above the biting point as the clutch is released fully. Slipping the clutch to move forward slowly it's 100% fine. I did remember today there's always been a squeak on the clutch as it was pressed and released from the pedal itself or that area. Just no vibration. Hope to get the car to a garage Thursday for diagnosis but I just hope it's nothing major after spending £400 on belts and £200 on tyres...

Mini R56 JCW 211bhp
This was diagnosed as a likely engine mount issue. Which one is most likely and how can I check them to see which is worst?

Mini R56 JCW 211bhp
Not at all mate. Clutch feels fine until the last few inches. Andy at ClioTurbo diagnosed engine mounts after driving it and agreed it's not the clutch or box directly but something else.