ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clunky 5th gear?

172 SPORT PH2
anyone else got this problem or it just me, when i put it in 5th its like really clunky, but the other gears are fine?

just bought the car, mileage 24k 02 reg

Black 197
24k 02 reg ! What was it a weekend car or something ???

I find sometimes fith feels a bit different to get in on motorways/fast roads sometimes but not enough to concern me

172 SPORT PH2
lol he had bought a new car, and was going here and there now and again in the clio, so i thought id get a bargain!

So the clunkyness maybe its just me or does it need to be in a high enough revs to change, as it being a sports car and stuff....

all the other gears are fine ...

Black 197
TBH mine dont clunk or anything it just feels that little bit "tighter" if that makes sense to get in gear, I've not really noticed if revs are accountable to the ease of selection i just well you know slip it in as to speak...

Have you checked gearbox fluid level ? Maybe getting the oil changed could be a start and maybe make sure the selector under the car is tight and not loose

172 SPORT PH2
yea cheers, ill do that, would i have to take it into a garage to get that check and stuff.. also to get the oil changed.. i used to own, and am currently selling a saxo VTS, and i did most of the work to that, like oil change etc, is it easy to do on a sport??

RS RIP
5-th gear should be fine.. my Cup gets thrashed every time and it's fine

(but i am hearing more gearbox-noise with aging)

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
I would recommend changing the oil as this helped with my crunchyness and smoothed out 3rd and 5th. Go on opieoils.co.uk and get castrol EPX75/80w x4 litres. You will need about 3.2litres to fill.

If that doesnt help it might be worth checking the gearbox mounts.

Gearbox oil should be changed IMO every 3rd service. The car is now on 7 years old so the fluid will be old.

172 SPORT PH2
thansk for the replys guys, i will look into doing this, any sort of price on how much a garage will charge to chan ge the oil in the gearbox?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
There w**k gearboxs, everyone i've used feels notchy and horrid.