ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clunking when hammering it in1st

Tonight, my car decided to start making funny clunking at 4k when hammering it in 1st.

engine mounts?
gearbox mounts?

help.

/y0z

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Engine/gearbox mount matey...

Mine started doing it, then the bolt that goes through the gearbox mount sheared off a couple of days later!

so i can go to renault today and tell them this it is likely to be the engine or gearbox mount thats the problem.

/y0z

TDI tyre shreader

after what sort of mileage does it start doing this? mines on about 9k and its doing it bad

Lee

BMW M2C

Mine has been in twice for this to be fixed and they have no officially give up, as have I.

Mine has been in for the past 3 weeks for this and everytime i get it back, the noise is worse. I went to pick it up today and they had replaced all 3 engine mounts AGAIN. I got told the car was fixed so i drove out and its not. I stormed back in and threw the keys at them.....literally. Had a slanging match with the service manager who wanted me to drive it until something breaks so they can find the fault?! I told him where to go and said im not touching it until fixed.
I know the customer care manager there, i got the car through her on F&F Discount so she said shell sort it out first thing tomorrow. I might even push for a 182 coz its been back in 5 times in 15weeks?! :eek:

I wouldnt be bothered if they fixed it, its just annoying me that they are so incompetent and keep giving it me back ....... worse than it went in.

/Rant over

edit: Mine knocks, bangs and rattles from 2k-limiter in 1st and 2nd gear, sometimes 3rd too. It sounds f**ked.

And before anybody starts, we are not talking about the suspension mount thing.

This is hardcore, nasty, breaking/grinding/vibrating/clanking coming from the engine bay on acceleration. (mine only used to do it on full throttle but now does it all the time)

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

check the clearance of the pas rack/pipes heat sheild.

had a few gearbox mounts work loose and the centre bolt snap before.

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

Quote: Originally posted by Boyo on 16 February 2004

Mine has been in for the past 3 weeks for this and everytime i get it back, the noise is worse. I went to pick it up today and they had replaced all 3 engine mounts AGAIN. I got told the car was fixed so i drove out and its not. I stormed back in and threw the keys at them.....literally. Had a slanging match with the service manager who wanted me to drive it until something breaks so they can find the fault?! I told him where to go and said im not touching it until fixed.
I know the customer care manager there, i got the car through her on F&F Discount so she said shell sort it out first thing tomorrow. I might even push for a 182 coz its been back in 5 times in 15weeks?! :eek:

I wouldnt be bothered if they fixed it, its just annoying me that they are so incompetent and keep giving it me back ....... worse than it went in.

/Rant over

edit: Mine knocks, bangs and rattles from 2k-limiter in 1st and 2nd gear, sometimes 3rd too. It sounds f**ked.

An you laff at me kev? must have bin the week they were made mate.

Nippy white cup

Mine did a weird noise on heavy acceleration in 1st,2nd and sometimes in 3rd. I took it in and told them what I probably was and they couldnt find any probs. Took it back a few weeks later and, surprisingly they replaced the engine mount and the gearbox bushes and it is now perfect!...Nobs!

Chris

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

Got very similar problem on mine (and being meaning to PM JAY/Mike about it).

Mk1 with 31k. For last 4/5k, giving it any serious throttle and get a nasty vibration. Found that bottom dogbone mount was screwed ... bush had shifted out and the mount was touching the bracket on the gearbox. Replaced that plus mount under the battery and was sure it would fix problem ... but it didnt :(

Still making the noise, and has got worse in the last few weeks. Having the (expensive looking!?) hydraulic mount on the drivers side done next week. Then Im out of options.

Gav at K-Tecs view is that its the exhaust manifold touching the heatshield as the crap engine mounts shift too much on hard acceleration. Certainly some white-spots on the heatshield where its must be touching sometimes. Jay ... youve mentioned a tech note on heatshielf problems before ... anything to do with clearances?

Can get it bang too if Im too quick with my gear changes. But its the vibration which annoys me most !!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

its the heatsheilds that go around the pas rack can sometimes catch the rack/pipes and cause a vibration.

Its been in once a week for the past 3 weeks now and twice before that. The last 3 times was for this problem and everytime i get it back its worse. Its had all 3 engine/gearbox mounts replaced, the top one twice and ive mentioned the exhaust/heat sheild and they guarantee it isnt that.

Its a very loud rattle/banging noise and the exhaust is blowing too, thats why i said it could be that. It doesnt sound safe to drive anymore, it started at just higher revs but now its from 2k+.

Ill just wait and see what happens tomorrow.

Kev

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Jones on 16 February 2004

after what sort of mileage does it start doing this? mines on about 9k and its doing it bad
Mine did it after about 5k miles!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by JAY172 on 16 February 2004

had a few gearbox mounts work loose and the centre bolt snap before.
Yup... thats what happened to mine! :sick:

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Changed my oil & filter tonight, and when I was messing about under the bonnet I decided to see how much I could move the engine with my hands...

Answer is quite a lot actually! :eek:

Now nothings actually loose as such, its all bolted up tight and seems secure, but the engine mounts seem very weak and Im not surprised we get nasty noises when booting it with the massive forces involved!!!

My top left (looking from front of car) engine mount seems a bit lame and kinda "clicks" too, so I think I will get them to look at/change that mount soon as it doesnt seem right to me!

TDI tyre shreader

are there no uprated mounts available? as this banging seems to be due to massive movement of the engine due to crappy bushes in the mounts, its seriously doing my head in cos i love dumping the clutch in first but have to feather it in this car grinding my teeth to stop it banging. Its a shame cos its really putting me off as i cant drive it how i want to so much so im thinking about selling it :(

Lee

BMW M2C

Great, mine has started to do this now.:mad:

Im getting to hear everyone one of the many different rattles and knocks the 172 can have, I wonder which one Ill get next.

So far Ive had the suspension strust tops knocking, which has been fixed twice but not recitified the problem. I can live with it.

Now I have the clunk when hammering it in first gear. I noticed it for the first time last week, but it does seem to be getting worse. I managed to get it to happen twice this morning.

Jones, I know what you mean. I really love my car but Im used to trouble free ownership with my only trips to the dealers for servicing. :( I should see if I can make a monthly checkup appointment in advance!!!

Renault Laguna Coupe

Mine had this clunk, and the dealer sorted it out at the first time of asking - it was the gearbox mount under the battery. Its never come back.

Suzuki SV1000S

Matey.

I had this problem when I had the Cup and have the same noises with my current car (the silver mk1 172). I took the cup to renault sooooo many times to get them to sought it out. They said it was because the engine moves alot on the mounts and pushes the exhaust backwards which makes it rub against something or other. They said it was not a problem, sounded worse than it was, even got to take a renault technician out in it and scare the crap out of him (muhaha), But I had all the front suspension changed on the cup and the Mounts and they checked the gearbox, But the noise never went away.

So basically good luck, but dont think it is anything to worry about.

really........a clunking noise you say.......when you HAMMER it !!!.....humm.....wonder why that would be........ i have a simular problem....my tyres wear out on the outer edges when i go round roundabouts at 60+mph !! god knows why !!

anyone remember the swindon meet in sainsburys car park when a cup turned up & he had a knocking noise,,,,then proceded to thrash the crap outta it round the carpark.....no wonder he was on his 2nd gearbox !!!

engine mounts, drive shafts etc etc !! the lower mount is the most common one to go

Embarrassed to say

Engine banging against subframe - design fault - engine built put to close to subframe in manufacturing process.

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

But mounts are crap too and age badly. Ive just got back from K-Tec and Im a very happy man! Apart from the bangs when I slammed gears etc., Ive had problem with vibration caused by engine shifting and exhaust manfold touching heat shield. Replaced the drivers side mount today, (after previously doing the totally f**ked gear box mount + OKish near side mount), and my car is back as it used to be!!

Now when I drive as intended, all I can hear is my exhaust and not an annoying bouncing vibration. I can start terrifying passengers again by ragging my car with them in it (got tired of apologizing for the crap vibration previously) :)

In situ the movement on the engine didnt look much different to K-Tecs 172. However, once the mount was off the difference between the knackered one and the new one was very apparent. Also there is about 15mm of adjustment you can make on the mount by bringing it forward. Result is that now is good 20mm tween manifold and heat shield, and the engine doesnt use all that clearance up when Im ragging it. Also banging seems much reduced (could probably cause it by slamming 2nd / 3rd but Im not trying).

Quote: Originally posted by wackojacko on 16 February 2004
Well mines been doing it for 6months now and it gets louder every week. :cry:Its really not a very nice noise at all.

and then your engine fell off.

sh*t. you should have had it checked out.

/y0z

Quote: Originally posted by Fatherted on 25 February 2004

really........a clunking noise you say.......when you HAMMER it !!!.....humm.....wonder why that would be........ i have a simular problem....my tyres wear out on the outer edges when i go round roundabouts at 60+mph !! god knows why !!

anyone remember the swindon meet in sainsburys car park when a cup turned up & he had a knocking noise,,,,then proceded to thrash the crap outta it round the carpark.....no wonder he was on his 2nd gearbox !!!

engine mounts, drive shafts etc etc !! the lower mount is the most common one to go

lol, that was christian mate. he drives like hes in a round of the BTCC at all times then says tyres are sh*t when they only last 3,000 miles.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

people say its the sump hitting the subframe but i cant see it being that as the sump is only alloy and would break if that happened.i think its to much give in the engine/gearbox mountings but other than the heat sheild problem there is nothing on renault net.will keep checking though.

Suzuki SV1000S

I am taking my car into Renault today, This is one of the things I want them to look at, any advice of what to tell them.