ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Club racing bit of advice needed - mk1 or mk2?

Willy, Willy 2, V6
Hi all, been thinking about getting involved with a club racing series (CSCC/TARC etc) like a few others are on here - if they could share input on this I'd appreciate it.

So at the moment I've got a Williams I used for trackdays, and was hoping to use this.

My question really is how competitive would this be compared to the mk2's in these series. I never have a problem keeping pace with mk2's on the various trackdays, but this is obviously a very different situation. I know there are many factors at play, i.e. budget, driver, etc etc, but am I going to be at a massive disadvantage off the bat with a mk1 Williams compared to say a 172/182?

:)

Willy, Willy 2, V6
Would have to check some old footage I guess and work out lap times... but never had any issues keeping pace with mk2's before. I know racing would be totally different.

The cars putting out about 180bhp so I think that's ok. For running gear we'd convert over to mk2 parts for the slightly wider track.

So does anyone currently race mk1's?

I'm guessing people just go for mk2's because they are newer tech, more commonly available parts etc?

Allan-

ClioSport Club Member

Some old footage of you :D

Would have to check some old footage I guess and work out lap times... but never had any issues keeping pace with mk2's before. I know racing would be totally different.

The cars putting out about 180bhp so I think that's ok. For running gear we'd convert over to mk2 parts for the slightly wider track.

So does anyone currently race mk1's?

I'm guessing people just go for mk2's because they are newer tech, more commonly available parts etc?

Last edited by a moderator:
  Clio.
My mate Pete Osborne races a Mk1 in BARC SEC Cannons Tintops, it goes fairly well......in fact it won the chamionship!

182cup & 172 racecar
Your car wouldn't be allowed in the Production Class, but would be fairly competitive in class A, not saying it would be a top runner, but would still be fun.

Oh and Matt I'm going to have to give that shell a miss, time, space are just 2 factors.

182cup & 172 racecar
Most of us, yes.
Me
James
Dave (Dinger)
Sonny
Pete (toast)
Russ

Adam-Production, so a fair few from here.
We have great fun.

Clio.
Oh and Matt I'm going to have to give that shell a miss, time, space are just 2 factors.

No worries Tony, it's been squashed already.

Willy, Willy 2, V6
thanks all for advice etc... it does seem like a lot of fun. will be sure to check in with progress and what not :)

Assuming the mk1 has a lighter shell I'd say it probably has more potential. You may struggle for spares/upgrades though I don't know how much is available.

I've often thought a mk1 would have been a better starting place.