ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cliosport / sheep / bothered

Since having my borbet A,s I have had tons of PM's asking where I got them from...but at least I will be one of the first..so not too bothered.

Audi S1
At the end of the day you come on here (forum) where people will discuss Mod's or what ever the case.

If someone like what some else has they will copy you... still waiting for comfirmation on who and what someone has copied you on...

Did someone copy the colour of your nail varnish?

Massey6465 & saxo1.1
I give you credit for those sort of square Glasses you wear-I believe you started a trend there. Painting the frames yellow though= to far.

White clique
immitation is the best form of flattery apparantly, although if it was too blatant and the copying thing is done deliberatly to be competitive, say for example my best mate bought a red 197 to out-do me, i'd be a bit annoyed.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
At the end of the day you come on here (forum) where people will discuss Mod's or what ever the case.

If someone like what some else has they will copy you... still waiting for comfirmation on who and what someone has copied you on...

Did someone copy the colour of your nail varnish?

your form of wit is poor dude, read back the thread, i have not stated anyone has copied me in this thread...

I give you credit for those sort of square Glasses you wear-I believe you started a trend there. Painting the frames yellow though= to far.

god i miss you dude, i salute the fact you still pay a full membership even though you only post once a month and the willy is basically retired

Static Low
I got white wheels. Jez's car was my original inspiration.

Not bothered by others on the forum but if it was someone in the same town etcc id probably be fizzing :clown:

Because we all appreciate our Clios for what they are does that make us all trend followers or trend setters?

Why do some non Clio owners retain membership of this Forum?

Are Turinis the only acceptable wheel, if so why are 182 Cup wheels so bloody expensive?

Why does a sh*t Renault splitter cost half as much again as a Carbon Fibre one?

Thought I would throw in a few more thought provoking discusion subjects.

ClioSport 172
I only think it applies if you personally know the person doing the copying or they live near you...

If its someone you dont know, I reckon you should be flattered.

But then if someone I knew (a mate) went out & bought the same car as me (in the same colour), i'd be fuming! If they had the same car (ish) ie different model or colour & then modded it the same way i'd done mine, i'd be a little pissed off, but depends if they'd copied all of my mods or just little ones! And depends how they'd done it! I mean its daft in a way cause clios will always look similar, but I guess if you're known locally for having a certain car, looking a certain way & someone else copies you, you have lost your individuality

Ian

Focus TDCi
Good topic :)

As mentioned by several people you have to take into account that, without breaking the bank and going for completely bespoke modifications (which are unproven), the number of completely good, new mods is going to be severly limited, especially on the mk1 and mk2s.

I personally have taken every modification I have done or that I am planning to do from someone on here, because before I joined I wouldn't have even considered modifying my car. I don't see it as copycat particularly, more as taking inspiration. However, having said that I can see your point, which is why when I'm thinking of doing something I usually post up a photo of the member's car that I've taken inspiration from (usually matta_88, Steve Garbett, Nick_P etc etc lol).

There are obviously cases where I would get annoyed, namely if I did manage to do something unique and then somebody tried to pass it off as their own; or if they copied a whole theme of mods possibly. Can't really think of any other situation. Most of the time I'd either be flattered or laughing a lot, depending on whether it's a good or bad mod. Even if they copied my car entirely I wouldn't be particularly bothered, too easy going!

Clio v6
An after thought. Do something so bad nobody else would want to copy. :)

Gold anyone? ;)

crmwh.jpg

320d
I wouldnt be bothered. There are only a certain amounts of mods you can do to a clio so you have to do something very different in order to have a completely individual car. I can think of several cars that are very similar on this forum. Is that a bad thing? I don't think so.

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
i think i know where you're coming from ph-ree. but seing as you actually haven't stated anything then...........

i'd be a little bit hacked off initially if i had put in a major effort, but it would depend on the persons atitude. i think there is alot to be said about someone passing off ideas as their own....(to55ers). but then again all ideas have taken inspiration from somewhere else so is any idea truly original???

Stagecoach Ticket
Nothing is original really due to there being 99999999999999999999999 clios on the road world wide. Things that people do on hear have proberly already been done in a shed in france or somthing. If your car looks good people will admire it and copy it its a compliment. end of the day no one on here can say there not copying someone else because no one here was the first man/woman to mod a car and i dnt believe anyone on hear has the first clio ever of the production line so its all abit silly really.

we should admire peoples mods and self touchs even if they have been done before. My whole car is pretty much based of other peoples creations i think the only original bit is a smoothed fibre glass rear de wiper because not many people have a body shop with alot of fibre glass so they use a gromit. Only way to be original now really is to create your own car from scratch.

t3 corolla 116bhp
to be honest i think alot of the mods we do are all inspired by other cars we see on the road or in magazines or whatever and they're probably not all as original as we'd like to believe (altho some are)

A Flamin' Red one
1. Don't tell people people what you're up to and/or post your 'secrets' in this forum.
2. How may things can you actually DO to a Clio!?

Vee dub
I've thought about this too, but at the end of the day, it doesn't bother me. Why would it?

First with a Ph2 rear on a Ph1 172.
First with new-style RS badge
First to see how sweet white Turinis looked on RB (with help from Dan/Photoshop) ;)
One of the first with a 3/4 plate on here... going back nearly five years, mind.

Dan has his Ph-Madness... Ali has the "no sidelights" rule... Winston has, well, just Winstinct. ;)

Then saying that, who knows... and who really cares? People copy ideas that they like. It doesn't bother me.

First on the forum maybe? how do you know you were first to do all those things? :S

Plus, who's bothered really!

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Is it ironic that I was going to write in your pics thread from yesta to copyright your car, cos that's what I would want to do if I decided on a Ph1 lol

I think your car looks the dog's marakas, best modded phase 1 I've seen and one of the best modded cars IMO. Small enough changes to not be in your face, but bold enough to stand out and look different.

Of course, I would never paint yellow rim lines, logos and badges as it would be a carbon copy (although I'd be tempted to ask for your permission but don't think I will now ;)) but if I wanted to do something similar, its only because I think yours looks great and I'd defo want you to see it as a compliment to your taste and styling.

People like to share their mods etc, some people will hate it and some will like it, and want to do the same to their cars. There's nothing you can do to stop them but why would you? Take it as a compliment that they either want an exact copy of your car due to it looking the best to them, or they want to do something similar because you inspired ideas to them. Generally, theirs only so many comestic changes you can do to a car, unless you're Lusty, and its very easy for ideas to be influenced, copied or even randomly think up ideas that have been done without knowing.

All in all, take it as compliment, unless they live near you and you're always seeing their car, then have a word.

Vee dub
god i miss you dude, i salute the fact you still pay a full membership even though you only post once a month and the willy is basically retired[/QUOTE]

I broke down!!

The only way around it imo, is for an owner not to show there car to anyone, to have it garaged. And to not show it to anyone, let alone post it on a forum.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
ph-ree are you the other 75% ;) (if you know what i mean)

i actually have no idea what you are on about there......oh actually just thought back then after i typed it...... you could be asking the wrong person there, infact i think you should ask the other person.....

that was not directly influencing this thread though jon, this thread was something i have been curious about for a while

i think it is quite a good discussion so far, interesting read

rps13
PH-reebone i seem to be the only one who has realised what you are refering to.

the concept of painting a contrasting lip/badge on your wheels is hardly new

it may have just been co-incedence

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
PH-reebone i seem to be the only one who has realised what you are refering to.

the concept of painting a contrasting lip/badge on your wheels is hardly new

it may have just been co-incedence

not sure you are really mate....lol

i have never said anything along the lines of mentioning my wheels, any coloured things on my car or any mods i have made.... but i will quote what i have already said in this thread once before

you can interpret it how ever you want mate

Evo 6, E92 320d
As some have said, if it looks good others will follw suit and do it also, so in that regard id see it as a compliment. However, broadening from cliosport, if i had spent thousands on say a one off prototype bodykit to be made only to see a company knocking out cheap copys then that would annoy me. Theres no escaping that someone else will want what you have.

guess that, if it looks good (and it does, strangely..) and is 'easy' to replicate, someone's almost certainly going to have a go.

i've only bothered modifying one of my past cars to the extent that i was highly unlikely to see another quite like it elsewhere (easy to do with minis) and, tbh, would just have been bemused to have seen another that might have passed for the same car - although this was before the advent of the internet, so that bemusement would have been over the 'chance' of it, rather than knowing that someone might have 'copied' it.

just stick Venoms on it - it'll probably be unique again

People are going to copy if they like something as they want the same feeling you have when your car looks mint! It's only annoying when you hear from your mates or whatever that somebody who has copied you is telling everyone how good it is and he came up with it!

Burgandy 174 sport t
I've thought about this too, but at the end of the day, it doesn't bother me. Why would it?

First to see how sweet white Turinis looked on RB (with help from Dan/Photoshop) ;)
One of the first with a 3/4 plate on here... going back nearly five years, mind.

Dan has his Ph-Madness... Ali has the "no sidelights" rule... Winston has, well, just Winstinct. ;)

Then saying that, who knows... and who really cares? People copy ideas that they like. It doesn't bother me.

Hero!

Jon.L

ClioSport Club Member
  911 GT3 & Audi Q8
Mainly the reason i joined is to find out infomation about my car and to see what looks good and what looks pony! with out spending ££££'s and not liking what ive done. also you fidn out what works best ie exhuast and what not. People may think there trend setters but theres very few, most ideas are just transfered from one make of car to the other imo and from group to group and then just adapted to there car. And at the end of the day if it has halfords rims and a big spoiler its normally 100% unique but people still cuss it down unless its identical to everyones of here! OBV WE JUST ALL HAVE THE SAME GOOD TASTE!

Megane Mk4
You have almost 20,000 people on the forum with more or less the same type of car, it's going to be guaranteed someone else will have thought of an idea that matches someone else's on here. I put an external CS sticker here on the RB182 I had as I've never seen it done before..

1.jpg

No doubt someone else will have done it at some point too.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Not really as they're only un-original on here. In the real world, you'll never see another like it.

Before I bought my 172, I planned what I wanted it to look like which is as it does now. Not one of the mods has taken inspiration from here as I'd never even used the site before. I then came on here and it was littered with 172's with Turinis, splitter, spoiler and twin exhaust.

Hey ho.

it depends what is copied... as mentioned lots of people on here have the same colour combo... e.g silver + anth turini's but maybe that combo matches best to most people hence them all having it. Nobody is exactly copying unless it is blatant, if one car is similar due to inspiration from another then its not copying, where the inspiration came from should be acknowledged imo... then again nobody wins becuase it will be seen as an imitation anyway... can go on forever discussing tbh

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

Amed Brudda!

I was quick to get turini's on a non cup too! :)

But who cares, how offen do you see the cars on here, other than at meets and events.