ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio's on watchdog again....bbc1 now

330Ci M Sport
some advance on the bonnet catch situation i think, on beeb 1 within the next half an hour i think if anyones interested.

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
jeez how many time as this been on now. not a dig at you by the way

Leon Cupra 300
Whats the deal with this? I saw one on the grass at the side of the A64 yesterday with its bonnet in the windscreen... it must happen!!!

330Ci M Sport
nah waste of time tbh...just said reno wanted to be informed if it'd happened to you....craig ino it's been mentioned loads, just for the sake i thought id mention it :)

Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi 150
Theres no smoke without fire....my mate in liverpool just had a narrow escape. His wife was driving their Mk2 Ph1 1.4 Alize on the motorwat at 75mph when the bonnet flew up and smashed the front screen then slammed into the roof. Luckily they made it over to the hard shoulder in one piece. Doesn't inspire confidence does it. I've never lubricated a bonnet mechanism in 20 years cuz the grease that was there was always adaquet. The Clio may have some design fault, but it's hard to say as all cars are different and they all get looked after to varying degrees.

I watched it and its something to do with the length of the hook on the bonnet. They then showed some back street garage mechanic who had fabricated a longer hook which should keep the bonnet shut at all speeds. The part cost £55.00 to alter and £1.50 to make. Someone should report him to Watchdog for overcharging. Just hope his welding is spot on. They said that Renault are still investigating this and looking at the bodge that they came up with. Renault still state that they have only heard of less than 50 complaints of this happening and all have been investigated and the catch was not faulty.

It's hard to see who is telling the truth here and just how big a problem this is in comparison to the number of Mark 2 Clios that have been sold.

Lionel Richie
as said in the thread last week, that blokes "moddification" is hideous! that would've stopped the nazis!

a thirsty one
had a look at my 182 and the bonnet latch is different than the one shown on watchdog, much bigger maybe the RS models had different latch possibly as result being built in different factory.

i thought that bloke was going to weld the bonnet shut !

106 GTi
Has anyone got a pic of the bonnet catch in question?

On Watchdog they have shown both the MK2 Phase 1 and MK2 Phase 2 catches.

This is the one on your car.

IMG_5588.jpg

From what I can gather on here the spring under the plastic pull needs to be lubed up.