ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Year 2000 Exhaust system pics ASAP?

Mazda Mx5 1.8 Mk2
Hey

i was wondering if it was possible for someone who owns a clio mark 2 phase 1 non sport to take a couple of pictures of the complete exhaust system from the manifold to the back box?

Mainly because ive just had some work done by a main dealer to fix my exhaust to stop it rattling however i have a bad feeling that its only been bodged and it would be helpful to see what a standard system should look like!

Thanks

Chris

M2 Competition
Bodging is the best way to stop it rattling. Zip ties and sealant.

As a standard fit they're awful without a bit of bodging, so if you want it to rattle again get them to unbodge it.

Mazda Mx5 1.8 Mk2
Hey,

Yeah sorry kind of silly post without adding the fact it is still rattling lol whoops

Basically what the problem is:

I had issues so they changed the cat over which was fine for about a week, however after that it starting rattling and hitting against the bracket in the middle. So it went back to the main dealer(Garage 1) again and they repaired it by putting a rubber mount in the middle bracket of the exhaust which I’ve been informed by Renault that this is just a locator and isn’t meant to have a rubber mount in. A couple of days after that got done it started rattling again, so I took my car to a different garage(garage 2) who informs me that the only way it can be fixed is by putting a new midsection in to align it properly. However since the warranty lies with this other garage(garage 1) I wasn’t willing to pay for them(garage 2) to carry out the work. so I spoke to the manager of the garage(garage 1) and he told me to bring my car back in and they would look at it again, bare in mind this is a 40 mile round trip in addition to the person who needs to come with me to bring me back while its being looked at I refused, so they offered to take it on a low loader and sort it out again. This time they(garage 1) say they’ve taken the entire system of and realigned it. And it’s been fine for about a week again and now it is knocking against the underneath again!

The only thing I can see is that the cat seems very far to one side of the heat shield which I figured could by why the exhaust is being pushed towards this bracket where its knocking, so I wouldn’t mind seeing what it should look like so I can compare it to mine and further my discussions with Garage 1 witch with whom my warranty lies

Sorry for the confusion

Thanks

Chris

Chris

Last edited:
  M2 Competition
Where is the rattle from, and what kind of noise is it? Does it happen at a certain point in the rev range, or at idle?

Mazda Mx5 1.8 Mk2
Hey

Its coming from underneath near the back seats probably a bit behind.

its a knocking noise like the exhaust knocking the subframe.

it happens when i go over a bumper or turn sharply.

Thanks

Chris

M2 Competition
Is your car lowered?

Sounds like either a collapsed rear mount (you'll see exhaust hanger sat at bottom of this rear mount) or the exhaust knocking the subframe, which is again due to the mount.

Mazda Mx5 1.8 Mk2
Is your car lowered?

Sounds like either a collapsed rear mount (you'll see exhaust hanger sat at bottom of this rear mount) or the exhaust knocking the subframe, which is again due to the mount.

Hey

Nah its not lowered.

Ive changed the rear mount only recently 1 week max?

Thanks

Chris

E36 M3. 182
Might be worth having a look at the engine mounts, if theyre goosed, the movement of the engine could rattle the mani/downpipe off the body or subframe..