ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio vs Saxo ;)

Hi guys n girls. Apologies for the somewhat provocative title, i just wanted your attention! Hey, it worked didnt it! ;)

Anyway, now that your here - i have some fairly simple questions - what engines did the older style Clios come with? I know there was a 1.4, 1.8, and the Williams - where there any in-betweeners?

Also, which of these engines would come in a non-sporty looking Clio, ie. did the 1.8 have a sports bodykit or would there be no visual difference between the various engined models?

(Im not here for any argument whatsoever, this is for my own personal information!!)

Because you secretly love clios and want one more than anything in the whole wide world...

I think they only did 1.2s other than what you said, and there was the RSI..i dont know much about mk1 clios, so ill get my coat.

Well there were 1.2, 1.4, 1.8 all 8vs, then the 1.8 16v (sporty model) and the 2.0 16v williams lump!

Think thats all!? Other than oil burners perhaps!

i think the old rts used to be made in 1.2, 1.4 and there was also a five door 1.8. Im not a complete anorak (honestly!) but i looked at clios many years back in the nova days when i wanted something quickish but insurable. There was also a 1.8 rsi with about 115 bhp, not a good engine but plenty of poke.

what you after jay?

pugboy

lol

The valver is only one insurance group higher, but it looks more meaty and is at least half a second faster to 60. It also responds to tuning well, you can get 180bhp out of them easy peasy.

Afternoon babe :D

It would appear that im not! The reason i ask, is that i had a run-in with a standard-ish looking clio the other night just outside Milton Keynes. The only thing i could see non-standard was a backbox - but nothing special. Damn thing just kept holding me off, then slowly drawing clear of me. Was driving me nuts!

As the missus is currently looking for a different car (currently has a Fiesta, ugh!!) im pondering getting her the car that beat me the other night, provided it is a standard (non tuned) car.

Just here to find out exactly what it was really.

RSis are 8v and are not capable of 0-60 in 8 secs!?!?

Could still be fast enough to beat a VTR though!

Could it even have been a GTT lump in a non 16v/willy clio that beat you Jay??

8 Seconds 0-60 sounds too fast for this particular car - as i was in a standard engined MK2 VTR on 17s, and it was only creeping away from me once we hit 70 (KPH occifer!).

By GTT, do you mean from an R5? I dont think it was, didnt hear anything that suggested it was a turbo, and as i said it wasnt that quick - only marginally quicker than my VTR.

In all honesty 17s slow my car down a fair bit, so it might have been something pretty much on par with a standard VTR, and my wheels lost it for me (damn big wheels! ;)).

Any other suggestions?

Robfenn, what mods do you know of that will take 137bhp -> 180bhp easy peasy? low boost BBPT turbo gives for 200BHP for £5500. "Major" would be lucky to see 180bhp

? :confused: ?

Well in terms of looks im not that sure but the valvers and williams have that rather cool bonnet scoop/bulge where as rsis dont. I think.

You are correct there Rob in that 16vs & Willys were the only clios to recieve the wide arch, bonnet bulge treatment from Renault!!...Citreon take note! ;)

I reckon it must have been an RSi you raced mate cos i doubt a 1.4 would beat you although it may not be far behind!

sorry mate my spastic fingers meant to press 5 instead of 8. Ive seen valvers producing 150bhp just from filters and exhausts at van aaken.

I was part hoping someone was going to say "it was a 1.4RT" for the missus sake, and part hoping for "it was a 1.8" for my own saving face ;)

My car looks alright, but its in no way shape or form fast - handles well enough though.

Yeah, just about every french small car is pretty good handling wise. The only thing i have against saxos is the fact they are so common and the associated medallion wearing burberry capped diamond geezer image!

I would like to be the first to congratulate Jay on being the most sensible Saxo owner ive seen!!

No audacious power/speed/slaying claims!! Perhaps not even a burberry cap!?

Jay, i salute you! Welcome to Cliosport!

190 BHP Willy 2

At last!! We have a honest saxo owner :)

Not forgetting Craggy of course.

Where you from then Jay? You mention MK in your post thats all.

Scott

Lol, im not going to rise to that :) Ill just say that i dont wear jewellery, and dont own anything made by burberry. Or any caps in general. JillyB knows me in real life, shell tell you im nothing of the sort. Having said that, shell probably tell you im worse, hehe.

Im not really into the whole this car is better than that routine, as i just demonstrated by admitting to being beaten by a clio.

7.6cc :D

Yep, hes worse! ;) saying that though, he is one the very few people i let drive my car! :)

and stop picking on Saxo owners you lot, i used to be one!:D....although i did own a Nova once as well!:oops:

190 BHP Willy 2

Jilly, We can forgive the Saxo but never the Nova ;).

Its a good job your good looking or else id never speak to you again. :oops:

Scott

Im tempted to take the piss out of the rear wing but im resisting

are those oxigin rims?

big hp - tut tut you shallow man! You give us a bad reputation!

Yes Rob, they are Oxigin 1s. 7.5x17s with ample clearance - im amazed you didnt pick out the severnside graphics in light of this thread - but agreed, the wing is dodgy hehe! The graphics are jsut some advertising for a friends tuning company.

The wheels are nice, graphics are ok unless theyre the jap ones which people put on their doors. There is a saxo near me which is also done up by that same company which has full on 5 inch DPmotorsport pipes and the like

5" twin cans are pretty popular at the moment, but the most notable one severnside have done is Toms. Black, wide-arched, absolutely phenominal wing on it? If thats the one your talking about, sadly its no more :(

Yeah didnt he role it after getting it all done?

I think it was an imitation of that one as it has the same kit and exhaust but in red.

mk2 172

i raced a std mk2 vtr in my old rsi, i had a passenger and a chip, this looked standard, i also had wheels that were ewver so slightly bigger than standard, and we were neck and neck to 110, to coincide with a similar thread on ssc, i had the same race with a zetec s and he passed me at about 90 gulp!

Have a look at my page - tells you a bit more about the 16v and the Williams (basically what the Cup is to the 172 - but a bit more special). Read more about it here:

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=286766http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=286766

Id imagine it was a 110bhp Mk1 1.8 RSi that beat you. 0-60 is listed as 8.9 by Renault and it was a very good "warm hatch" - but not a wide-arch RenaultSport treated Clio (much like the 1.6 16v would be today).

Unbelieveably: Group 12!

A VTS is group 14. I guess they released the 16v to a market where premiums were starting to get sky high for hot hatches in the early 1990s, so it had to have low insurance to be competitve.