ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio vs Audi R8

RB Clio 182
I can afford to mod a clio, i cant afford to mod a veyron, thats why i have decided to keep the clio, because i like modding.
It doesnt mean i cant afford to mod, just because i have a clio lol.

Everyone is different, i bet most people bought a cheap 1st car and modded it in some way or another.

I agree the last part is too far, but fairly certain it was said in jest, having met the bloke (Goodj).
Tom, not quite what he was alluding to fella. And for the record, I've modified my Clio (heavily) and S3.

RB Clio 182
I was replying to this comment..
"Modding....for when you cant afford to just buy a fast car in the first place"

I was just trying to point out that people who "mod" cheaper cars, can probably afford a faster car in the 1st place, but then the modding is usually more expensive too, and the majority of people with expensive cars have finance to pay each month etc, which wouldnt allow as much spare money to mod.

You have to work it around your personal finances and make sure it doesnt interrupt with everyday living.

clio 182 trophy
all of that.

Aside from the sheiks, I don't recall seeing too many truly minted people going around in "modded" cars....mostly because why pour £30k into a shopping trolley, when that money would be far better used for, I dunno, paying a months' income tax? Or a weeks' holiday?

Modding....for when you cant afford to just buy a fast car in the first place
Any comment that is.
Try telling that to the countless millionaires that modify Lambo's, Porsches ect. Maybe not so much in the UK but all over the world.
Unless you want to spend near 1mil, your not getting more than around 700bhp from the factory.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
There are some short sighted comments in here.

It may surprise some people to learn that I actively chose to sell a 'fast car' specifically to buy a cheaper car to modify to make it more 'track' focused. Clearly I am nuts based on the logic above.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I'm yanking your chain a wee bit here, but do you honestly think the R8 driver and their passenger will be that bothered by a clearly fettled Renault outdoing them down the quarter mile of a motorway by X 10ths of a second?

Actually I would be a bit like "FFS" if a Mk1 Clio roasted me in a V10 R8.. Something that would not normally be troubled by anything you're likely to encounter on the road.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
There are some short sighted comments in here.

It may surprise some people to learn that I actively chose to sell a 'fast car' specifically to buy a cheaper car to modify to make it more 'track' focused. Clearly I am nuts based on the logic above.

I thought you still had the Micra?!

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I saw this on facebook a while back I think. Awesome little machine. Love those turbo sounds too.

Tullyvernon

Northern Ireland
ClioSport Area Rep
  Williams, Focus RS
What would you consider "putting them in their box"? I'm genuinely intrigued. The likelihood is the driver will be taking their "expensive 'fast' car" back to their expensive large house, before going on an expensive and extensive holiday to an expensive and intensive place...

I'm yanking your chain a wee bit here, but do you honestly think the R8 driver and their passenger will be that bothered by a clearly fettled Renault outdoing them down the quarter mile of a motorway by X 10ths of a second?

Putting them in their box, or deflating their swelled head or whatever way you want to think of it, I would assume that the driver would have expected to leave the clio for stopped. I would be fairly certain that it would have been quite the kick in the teeth.

Of course I am thinking from a real car enthusiasts point of view, someone own buys a fast car to enjoy its performance, rather than buying a car to drive around posing in trying to impress people who don't matter.

Tullyvernon

Northern Ireland
ClioSport Area Rep
  Williams, Focus RS
Modding....for when you cant afford to just buy a fast car in the first place

You obviously know nothing about fast cars, would you say the same to those who modify their GTR's, Porsche 's and lambo's to 2,000hp + ? What production cars are available faster?

Putting them in their box, or deflating their swelled head or whatever way you want to think of it, I would assume that the driver would have expected to leave the clio for stopped. I would be fairly certain that it would have been quite the kick in the teeth.

Of course I am thinking from a real car enthusiasts point of view, someone own buys a fast car to enjoy its performance, rather than buying a car to drive around posing in trying to impress people who don't matter.
I would agree, if the person is as you described in your last line. But then again, when an R8 V10 Spyder goes passed and a bog standard looking Clio goes passed, which do you look at?
You obviously know nothing about fast cars, would you say the same to those who modify their GTR's, Porsche 's and lambo's to 2,000hp + ? What production cars are available faster?
And I think you've missed the point entirely. The point was the difference between those that buy a 200hp car and take it to 500hp, rather than buying a 500hp car in the first place...

172 cup, Impreza P1
Lol at this thread.

Modding is a way of life for some regardless of the subject car.

Any super car owner that attempts to race another car and loses would be pi55ed. Especially off a Clio!

Evo 5 RS
A 150 bhp 90s tin top taken to 400bhp, beating a car that has undoubtedly had more R&D spent on it than you'd care to imagine, over twice the displacement and designed by the worlds leading engineers.

If it needs explaining, you shouldn't be here.

Tullyvernon

Northern Ireland
ClioSport Area Rep
  Williams, Focus RS
I would agree, if the person is as you described in your last line. But then again, when an R8 V10 Spyder goes passed and a bog standard looking Clio goes passed, which do you look at?

And I think you've missed the point entirely. The point was the difference between those that buy a 200hp car and take it to 500hp, rather than buying a 500hp car in the first place...
I think what you said about which you would look it is exactly the point i am making! No one would expect a clio to be able to match the pace of an R8 let alone edge ahead of it!! For someone who needs a fancy car to feel better about themselves and they have the money go ahead. But for fun the clio would be brilliant!!

Anyone who has heavily modified their car could telly you it isn't cheap, and id be certain you could run out and buy a 500hp car for the same if not less than modifying a car to the same performance. But if you are passionate about a certain type of car, and last time I checked this was a Renaultsport forum?, why not make it faster??

I think what you said about which you would look it is exactly the point i am making! No one would expect a clio to be able to match the pace of an R8 let alone edge ahead of it!! For someone who needs a fancy car to feel better about themselves and they have the money go ahead. But for fun the clio would be brilliant!!

Anyone who has heavily modified their car could telly you it isn't cheap, and id be certain you could run out and buy a 500hp car for the same if not less than modifying a car to the same performance. But if you are passionate about a certain type of car, and last time I checked this was a Renaultsport forum?, why not make it faster??

Are you honestly telling me, if you won the lottery, you wouldn't go out and buy "a fancy car"?

People, who are passionate about cars, buy a sports/super car because they can afford to buy the best that money can buy, not modify one with after market parts to get it to the "same" level. BenP for example had a heavily modified ITB Clio track car. He now has a C63 and a 430, not a 500-600hp Clio.

Yes, this is a car forum and we've all had Clios at some point. Some of us have moved on to different brands and models as money permits and tastes change. Perhaps I'm missing your point. I've made my car faster with a £300 remap. I've not spent the money required to make it into an R8 beater, because I could buy an RS4/6 for the same money.

Listerine & Poledo
Have you seen your car recently lol.
Sure have, a Mk2.5 MX-5 S-VT that isn't silver, white or red. It was the best of breed at time of building.

But I've also seen my bank balance, so the notion of wasting further money on Listerine is utterly fanciful.....let alone buying up something factory-fast.

Tullyvernon

Northern Ireland
ClioSport Area Rep
  Williams, Focus RS
Are you honestly telling me, if you won the lottery, you wouldn't go out and buy "a fancy car"?

People, who are passionate about cars, buy a sports/super car because they can afford to buy the best that money can buy, not modify one with after market parts to get it to the "same" level. BenP for example had a heavily modified ITB Clio track car. He now has a C63 and a 430, not a 500-600hp Clio.

Yes, this is a car forum and we've all had Clios at some point. Some of us have moved on to different brands and models as money permits and tastes change. Perhaps I'm missing your point. I've made my car faster with a £300 remap. I've not spent the money required to make it into an R8 beater, because I could buy an RS4/6 for the same money.

You are right, I would absolutely have a super car among other things if I won the lottery, there is no doubt about it.

Its good to see long time members like BenP etc. coming back and sharing their current impressive motors with the forum, fantastic to see them owning their dream cars.
What I didn't like is some who look down their noses at those who still enjoy their clio's and prefer to spend similar money on them as would buy an rs4 or c63 AMG on making them faster. Its all down to personal taste.