ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio V6 rivalry on here or not

Mk2 Clio V6 / 996 C4S

Quote: Originally posted by Nick Read on 07 March 2005

Perhaps the V6 IS a supercar and youre talking it down Simon? The fact that everyone on here owns different Clios and likes different Clios is surely a given, hardly even worth debating.

What does supercar actually mean? Well, most accepted supercars have an unusual engine location for a road car, either mid or rear engined, mostly mid though. Clio V6...mid-mounted engine - check. No supercar has ever been front wheel drive...Clio V6 - RWD - check. All supercars have an indefinable something that makes them a looker ....Clio V6 turns heads everywhere - check. Supercars must be fairly rare...perhaps youd see one or two in a year, if that. Well Im CS events manager and I only see that....check. And finally, a supercar MUST be impractical - Clio V6, shopping car given wide arches, rwd, only two seats and not even a decent boot in the front with low-rent interior - check.

So by my standards the Clio V6 is a supercar. Supercars have never been about affordability - a new M5 is bloody expensive but its not a supercar. A Bentley Continental GT is over 100k but not a supercar. There are plenty of supercars from the 60s/70s that would struggle to keep up with a modern hot hatch that can do 0-60 in the 6s. It doesnt make them any less super.

Whether you like the V6 or not - we should all applaud Renault for having the bottle to build it - just because they could. Thats what gives our Clios a motorsport heritage that Saxos or Fiestas will never have. We complain that Renaults are pieces of crap that are full of rattles and squeaks but then theyre not as dull as a Daewoo Matiz or a Vauxhall Corsa.
That was beautiful man. You can drive my V6 anytime:D

clio v6

autosport magazine..." we do not think you can buy a car that is so much fun for less" unquote!!!

[Edited by clarkiev6 on 08 March 2005 at 7:59am]

clio v6

got to keep this 1 goin!! pmsl...

oh and i have owned a 172 as well...and raced it... sprints etc....

[Edited by clarkiev6 on 08 March 2005 at 8:05am]

clio v6

Quote: Originally posted by Tucks on 07 March 2005

The v6 I had a ride in felt much faster than the performance figures say it is.

Stunning car overall.

thanks tucks... just a superchip and it goes like sh#t off a shovel.... reno should have done that in the 1st place... 242 bhp at flywheel...

[Edited by clarkiev6 on 08 March 2005 at 8:08am]

Quote: Originally posted by Nick Read on 07 March 2005

Oh and btw 16vClio Id say that a difference of 1.1 seconds over the 0-60 is a pretty big gap - a car that does it in 5 is a lot faster than one that does it in 6. In terms of 0-100 that opens out to 3 seconds at least.
But thats the thing Nick, It doesnt well not on the mk1 anyway, Autocar tested the cup and mk 1 vee and the cup was faster to the ton but slower to 60, so the cup was indeed a few secs quicker 60-100. It is almost factual that the mk1 was a flawed diamond, but still looks great nonetheless.

The mk2 is imo a different kettle of fish and I would buy one tommorow if I ever remortgage my house!

I can understand the criticism of the V6 from some non-V6 Clio drivers. They would ask why pay double for something that has a similar interior and doesnt go much faster than a 172/182.

However, once youve driven one, youd understand that the cars are completely different. The major difference of rear wheel drive, plus the difference in weight balance and of course, the noise, makes the V6 drive something totally unlike a front wheel drive.

Quote: Originally posted by Jeremy Townsend on 08 March 2005

However, once youve driven one, youd understand that the cars are completely different. The major difference of rear wheel drive, plus the difference in weight balance and of course, the noise, makes the V6 drive something totally unlike a front wheel drive.
Yep, I think most people that slate them have never actually been in one let alone driven one, its a totally different experience!

3.0ltr V6

Im quite offended that people on here think that us V6 owners are up our own arses. Specially with me being a girl driving a V6 I dont have this attitude at all! Even if I had a skoda and someone was sl*gging it off, I would have every right to defend it! Just because we have a V6 and defend it, people think t**sers. What a load of cra*.

E91 M Sport

Quote: Originally posted by CraigV6 on 07 March 2005

There are a few good guys that own V6s (Mike, James, Steve (ex V6), Stu, there are others too).

The rest of you have your heads so far up your own V6 loving arses that you make others dislike V6s. I think people have a pop at the car because of the image some give of the people who drive them.

Most people love the look of the V6, the sound of the V6 and the fact that Renault made the V6. We all after all own Renaults.

Most people (non V6 owners) also probably hate the V6 because a small minority of owners that use this site are complete w**kers about it.

Get a life losers!
Thats a bit harsh mate. I think were all likely to defend the car we have. If you went onto your Megane forum and every 5 minutes there was a post about the DCI version being just as quick in real world surroundings as the Sport model, youd probably defend the 225 in a heartbeat - and thats no bad thing, it just means youre passionate about what you have, i.e. a car enthusiast. Seems a bit unfair to wind up V6 owners on purpose and then tell us to get a life and call them w*nkers....I mean come on, you used to be one? ;)

I love the V6 but wouldnt have one as i dont like RWD but thats just my choice!

I think if you ask any of the V6 owners on here they may well say about the MK1 clios being rusty and old and full of rattles, but I think they also understand that the valver is where it all started, and without it I dont think you would be seeing the Vee on the road today - IMO

Stanced Honda S2000

in my opinion, the V6 IS overpriced. but if u saw a scooby or evo and a v6 lined up at the lights, the V wud get more looks. It is basically the best clio in renaults garage.

I havnt driven one but to be honest if money was no object id still have a v6 in my dream garage besides my noble, zonda, enzo, m3 and scooby wrx. id have loads of nice cars in my garage! but as i say, the v6 would be 1st on my list.

It is all a load of cra*.

Its all just c0ck waving.

Cant we just get a load of standard quotes to repeatedly post up for the people that defend and the people that deride v6s.

THE BELOW COMMENTS ARE JUST EXTRACTIONS OF THE NUMEROUS PREVIOUS POSTS ON THIS TOPIC AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEW POINTS OF THE AUTHOR.

Defensive posts are:

They are something different / They arent as common as other clios/cars/lifeforms/scientific break throughs/religions

Mid-engine RWD in a hatchback! (Where else can you find that!)

Lovely v6 sound.

Its not about flat out speed its about road presence.

172/182 owners have a chip on their shoulder / are jealous because secretly they all would have v6s if the could afford them and put up with the impractibility.

Jap Rally replicas are soulless and ugly.

Derisive Posts are:

Expensive to buy, run and insure.

V6s arent that rare I regularly see x amount on the way to work.

My Clio (insert mark and model) or Mr Xs Clio (insert mark and model) that has been heavily modified is much faster in a straight line and better around corners.

A standard Clio (182/172) would slaughter the v6 on a track.

V6 owners are t0$$ers.

V6s handled like sh1t£ compared to an other Clio (insert mark and model)

I test drove one and didnt like it.

A decent Jap Rally Replica (Subaru/Mitsubishi etc) would wipe the floor with a v6.

Road presence is fine until you spin into a ditch.

I would rather save the extra money it costs to buy/run the v6 and spend it on X.

Impreza Turbo

personally i think the V6 looks sweet, would i drive one, no chance, why, wouldnt want to get it dirty ;)

MERCEDES CLS AMG

Quote: Originally posted by Chris n Nic on 07 March 2005

I dont like V6s - they are rubbish and i can beat one in my cup172 all day long

The V6 is an awesome looking car chris - its not all about speed you know.

Quote: Originally posted by Chris n Nic on 07 March 2005

I dont like V6s - they are rubbish and i can beat one in my cup172 all day long
You wouldnt look as good as the Vee whilst you were beating it though!!!!

(asbestos suit is on)

Quote: Originally posted by telford_mike on 07 March 2005
^^^ lol @ jon, duplicate thread (again)no amount of logic (financial, performance or otherwise) could ever convince anyone to buy a Clio V6. But if youve gotta have one, youve just got to!

Passion counts for more than money...

why do people like fine wine? because they know there a cheaper equivalents, but they like spending that bit extra to get something that appeals to taste... and that is a bit different to everything else on tescos shelves.

/y0z

Quote: Originally posted by y0z2a on 07 March 2005v6s are slow ;-)

/y0z[/QUOTE]Remember, at Brands 6 May, you should move over to the right to allow faster cars to overtake you.

:devilish:

I am going to install that size 12 boot on the front bumper that I was telling you about...

;-)

/y0z

7.6cc :D

I agree with this and i havent even driven one, i wasnt overly impressed until Jeremy took me for a drive in Scotland, that changed my view.

Now, the only reason I wouldnt buy a V6 is because I cant afford one.

Morning guys!!!

Been on here a few times but this is my first post! Very interesting topic youve got going on here! The question was asked that does the same thing go on in other forums, with the top end cars getting some stick! I drive a P1 and to some extent this does happen on the Subaru forums, I much prefer to post on the P1 owners club where I feel "among friends"

Was looking at a Clio V6 when I bought the P1 18 months ago. Both were very similar prices but in the end the main reason I chose the Scoob was for its 4 seats, its 321bhp (with factory mods) and its 4 wheel drive security! But I fell in love with the Clios looks and road presence though!!

If I had to have another hot hatch (dont get on with front wheel drive anymore) I think it would be the Clio cup!!

Nice one guys!

MERCEDES CLS AMG

Ive owned 2 V6s and if your after a car that attracts attention.....its the one to go for. The amount of fanny the car attracts is unreal. I know they say there an old mans car but i was 26 when i had mine and it went down a treat round my area. There was nothing that could touch it for looks - ive got fond memories of the car.

Quote: Originally posted by j3ned on 08 March 2005

Ive owned 2 V6s and if your after a car that attracts attention.....its the one to go for. The amount of fanny the car attracts is unreal. I know they say there an old mans car but i was 26 when i had mine and it went down a treat round my area. There was nothing that could touch it for looks - ive got fond memories of the car.
Youve got no back seat to "entertain" them tho! ;)

Got to agree tho, must be one of the biggest head turners you can get!!:D

MERCEDES CLS AMG

who needs a back seat when youve got a bonnet and a dark country lane - i wont go into that though :D

MERCEDES CLS AMG

sprawl em out over the nice warm engine cover and slot there legs through the headrests clamping them down tight so they cant move - then pull there kn**kers d**n and li*k there pu**y

LOL

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

V6 is a somewhat individual car! Thats why it produces extreme reactions.

I like hot hatches and love my 172 - check. Ive always wanted something with more than 4 cylinders - check. I personally think the V6 looks dead funky (and Im old enough to remember Metro 6R4s and thought similarly for them) - check. I see Evos, Scoobys, Boxsters, M3s, TVRs, 350z, RX8s, Lotuses every day on the way to work and in the car park at work - can count the number of V6s Ive seen on the road (and not at a meet) on one hand. Im not the sort of person to do things based on fashion and opinion, but based on my individual interests ... and so for me a V6 is my current "dream" car.

Arrives on Monday :D

Peace ;)

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

I still cant belive the Vee is getting compared to the 172/182s.......

I have had the PLEASURE of driving my brothers mk1, And its so diferant to my Cup, yes, for a quick country road blast i would choose the Cup, but in all other aspects, looks, pure fun, noise etc..... I would have the V6 anyday, which includes the MK1, dont diss it untill u have driven one, i always thought they where great cars, but now i f**king love em :D

Mk2 Clio V6 / 996 C4S

I cant understand why theres any resentment. Or why poeple try to put each others cars down.

Ive had a 172, loved it. Had a 1.5 dci, loved it. Now I have a V6. All great in there own ways.

If there is resentment all I could put it down to is jealousy. I wouldnt say anything about somebodies 1.2 just as I wouldnt say anything about a fellow V6.

Quote: Originally posted by clarkiev6 on 08 March 2005
sorry mr prodrive... got to be the mitsi for me.... love them!!

What, one like this?

http://www.newslinks.co.uk/randomimages/evo/mo1.jpghttp://www.newslinks.co.uk/randomimages/evo/mo1.jpg

Its my step Dads - 345bhp out of the box...lovely jubbly!

Sorry, first post, should introduce myself! Im currently looking for a new warm/hot hatch, and after paying a visit to my local Renault dealer on the weekend, Im sorely tempted by the 182!

Reason I say warm/hot is because being only 19, insurance costs need serious consideration! Ive had some quotes on the 182, and currently trying to decide whether its worth the wedge. I could insure something like an Ibiza FR Tdi (130bhp) for a LOT less money, but then obviously its quite a different car. Hmm, decisions...

Anyways, Ive gone well off-topic and will probably get into trouble with the mods so Ill stop there for now! :)

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

I like V6s

There different and carry a lot of road prescence.They look great and its a ballsy attempt by renault to do something different which other car companies dont do.I dont think we will see a RWD,mid or rear mounted astra in the new line up this year will we

They may not be the fastest thing out there for the money but they have got more than enough class to outweigh any drawbacks in performance.

Ian

this thread makes me laugh

what is interesting is, that nearly 99% of renault turbo owners mainly 5 owners WANT a renault 5 turbo 1 or 2.........