ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio V6 mk1 & mk11

Hello everyone, Im new to the whole clio thing, having owned a 172 mk2 & now a cup, which i use on trackdays, which is slightly uprated, My question is , i know the mk11 Clio V6 is better than the Mk1, but is a Mk1 a good buy, & are their people out their who could improve on its performance & handling? Im really tempted to get a Mk1, because of the uniqueness & dramtic looks, but i want it to be a great drive, dramtic sounding & rewarding on the track. Any feedback would be great, especially from Mk1 V6 owners. Will a V6 fit in a standard garage???

Renault Laguna Coupe

If you can get your 172 in your garage, a V6 will fit. I was worried about this when I swapped my 172 for the Vee so i borrowed one to try it out.

Mk1 V6 is a great car - the Mk2 may be a bit better out of the box, but there are lots of things you can do to a Mk1 to improve it.

Welcome to Cliosport! :D

I think there are too many fundamental problems with the MK1 V6 to make it a truly good car without major investment. Before anyone says it, i think a suspension kit will only disguise the handling problems, not solve them. Get a second hand NSX!

-Rob

Thanks for the info, where would be the best place to start looking at upgrades, i was thinking of an induction lit (for the noise) & a stailess exhaust so i dont see the corrosion on the standard bax, anything else i should consider? The only place ive seen upgrades available is K-Tec..

Id rather have the v6 on looks alone than a NSK, not into the jap thing.

E91 M Sport

Apparently the mk2 is much easier to drive at the limit, which is obviously an advantage for the track. There are, however, two suspension kits that are available for mk1 to improve its on-the-limit handling; K-tec sell KW coilovers at about £1300, and Mark Fish sells Leader coilovers at £1600 (this is including setup).

Ive got a standard mk1 v6, which Im not planning on any track days, but I do like a spirited drive on varied roads. I think the car has bags of character, fun handling and amazing grip. I did change a few things I wasnt happy with:

1) The engine sounds a bit muted in the mk1 as standard, so Ive got an induction kit and exhaust - which is still nice and quiet when youre cruising normally, but allows the engine to change character when above 5000rpm :devilish:

2) The steering wheel is truck-sized. Ive changed it for a momo 320mm. It makes the steering heavier, but its made such a difference to the feel of the car. Feels like a much smaller car now.

Hope this helps.

Great!! when you say the engine changes character, how?? is it similar to the cup, which takes on a much louder roar, & big step in power?? i thought the Mk1 V6 only revved to 6K?

E91 M Sport

The engine note is always quite deep in the V6, but with induction kit (I had a Pipercross but Im about to change to a BMC CDA) the note gets very corse, with much more of the higher frequencies coming through to the cabin. The engine revs to 7000rpm (approx?), without an IK it doesnt pull much more after 6000, but with an IK you feel the urge to leave it in gear a little bit longer. It improves the throttle response as well.

Great guys thanks for your advice, gotta get a mk1 now & make it sound better. Didnt realise they revved that high, i took on eout for a test drive & it felt torquey but a little lacking at the top, it only had 5k on the clock, so maybe that explains it. Is a change of chip a good idea?

Quote: Originally posted by miketheman2k on 10 December 2004

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 10 December 2004

Get a second hand NSX!
What sort of price are these going for now?

20k will get you a 3.0 litre with 50,000 on the clock.

I do love the Clio V6s but even the Mk2 i feel would struggle in terms of driver enjoyment.

-Rob

E91 M Sport

20k will get you a 3.0 litre with 50,000 on the clock.
I do love the Clio V6s but even the Mk2 i feel would struggle in terms of driver enjoyment.

-Rob
Thats a lot of car for the money, Id seriously consider one as my next car I think. Did the type-R version improve things dramatically (like the mk1 -> mk2 clio v6)? Theyre much pricier arent they?

S2000

Quote: Originally posted by miketheman2k on 10 December 2004Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 10 December 2004 Get a second hand NSX!
[/QUOTE]What sort of price are these going for now?20k will get you a 3.0 litre with 50,000 on the clock.I do love the Clio V6s but even the Mk2 i feel would struggle in terms of driver enjoyment.-Rob[/QUOTE]

Dont think Jeremy Clarkson has said hed have an NSX in his 10 car garage ;)

NSX is a poor mans ferrari IMO. im anti jap cars, tacky interior, although they are fast.

get the mk1 V6, the handling is great, no problems at all for me. any rear wheel drive car that has a short wheebase will be tail happy, something you learn to control.

my pals Z3 2.8 was alot worse, then he hit a lamp post!

at first i found my V6 gave me little confidence on bends, but now ive tamed it, and throw it round every where - great fun!

where are you based jay?

Well it must be just me then, but I wouldnt buy any car with 50,000 miles already on it as I have no idea what the other owner/owners have been doing to it....

Its just my "Thing", but if others prefer older thrashed 50,000 miles cars then fair dos... :) 50,000 miles = twice round the world....No thanks.

Simon.

Im in Swindon, where hondas are built, dont wanna look like an employee!!

got my heart now set an a Mk1 V6, as a toy, so wanna get the best one possible, & then get an exhaust & induction kit, dramatic looks & sound. Should bump up the power abit as well?

Get a second hand NSX!

Get the V6, unless your 50 years old! lol. and then consider a NSX! lol. (poor mans Ferrari, and you have to be getting on a bit to own one, fast but old mans car) Have fun and buy a young mans car! ;)

Quote: Originally posted by Zonda on 11 December 2004

Get a second hand NSX!
Get the V6, unless your 50 years old! lol. and then consider a NSX! lol. (poor mans Ferrari, and you have to be getting on a bit to own one, fast but old mans car) Have fun and buy a young mans car! ;)
The NSX is the better car in my view if I had the coice Id get the V6 if I needed a 3 yr warently the NSX if I did little milage there so much more different.

E91 M Sport

Quote: Originally posted by iwantaV6 on 11 December 2004

my pals Z3 2.8 was alot worse, then he hit a lamp post!
Hmmm, that rings a bell - I owned one of these, great for posing and the engine was sweet but the handling sucked ass - I span mine on the first day I had it! :oops: Owning a Z3 has helped me understand RWD (or how bad it can be) and it means the V6 is as sorted as an Elise in comparison.