ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio V6 buying advice - help!

Am looking at a V6 255 tomorrow.

Any advice would be appreciated- what to look for etc

Thanks

Mark

[Edited by Mark32 on 24 June 2005 at 10:15pm]

Hi Mark................Im sure the guys will be along in a mo...................Ive a Mk1 and just covered everything really..................owners, condition, S/Hist, accidents, tyres (although I get mine FOC) and I checked with the supplying dealer what, if any, warranty work had been done.

Cya Stu

check the brakes and tyres as these are expensive to replace. i dont think there are any major issues with the V6 to worry about, but id contact a Renault dealer to check the service history and if any warrenty work has been done.

Clio RS 172 Ph2

IIRC there was a recall on some of the 255s to have an ECU remap so it would be worth checking with a dealer to see if the one youre looking at is affected, and whether the work has been done.

Other than that (speaking as a mk1 v6 owner):

- check for misfires & check that it pulls well in all gears, as coils are susceptible to failing and Ive had problems with catalyst breakdown on mine

- check that all the lights come on at startup, and then go off one by one

- check for wheel damage as the suspension setup is easily damaged if a wheel has collided with a kerb

- check for cheapo tyres fitted - ones with soft sidewalls will affect handling, though of course you can easily replace with better tyres

- check carefully for damage to any of the composite panels as they are expensive to replace, though are not to expensive to repair if theres any cosmetic damage

There was a buyers guide to both the Mk1 & Mk2 in Evo mag a few months ago - might be worth trying to obtain a back-copy issue.

Other than that, I think youll be fine. I hear that the mk2 has fixes for a lot of the problems found on the mk1s, and youll certainly not regret buying one!

Cheers,

Dave

Go Mark go get it..............youll love it...............prepare yourself for the best test drive of your life.

Cya Stu

PS Ill give you a tenner if you manage to stop grinning eh!!!!

Apologies for late reply Cya Stu

Need to sort out fully comp insurance before I can test drive it.

Ive also got to win round the missus to convince her its a practical car.

Just wish it could all be sorted!

Ah well Mark..........what it is to be young free and SINGLE eh :D

Cya Stu

PS if your wife is in the slightest bit interested in cars.............take her for a test drive thatll do it.........just you watch!!

Clio RS 172 Ph2

My missus wasnt convinced about me buying a vee, until she had a go in it herself.... job done!

Renault Laguna Coupe

Go for it mate, theyre going out of production this month. Get one now or regret it for the rest of your life!

^^^^^thats rite on the money Mike.............do you here that Mark "the rest of your life"................fact.

Cya Stu