ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Trophy: U-turn anyone

I read lots and lots of negativity towards the Trophy over the past few months...no extra power, just a way to fleece more money out of us, crappy colour etc. And then when the announcement came...so what have they actually changed?, just some suspension changes, where is the turbo etc etc etc.

Has anyone who wasnt sure/dead against it now considering one, or at least warming to it? Having read the Autocar review and various other reviews and comments recently I am quite frankly, in awe of it. Although I never doubted it myself, Im even more impressed than I expected to be.

My only concerns are future servicing of those joyous dampers. Based on the warranty cover of standard suspension (i.e. very little) I wonder if they will even try to charge you before 3 years expires let alone after, should something go wrong.

I see why peeps like it, but it has no appeal to me just now. If I was buying a new RS Id buy it, but I already have a Cup.

Im a sh*t driver so I dont think Id benfit from the dampers other than some improved feel. I dont know though since Ive not driven the Trophy...However, Id be amazed of it was so much better that I wished I had one. Especially since I dont like the colour, and think it looks higher with smaller wheels.

My Renualt head is saying Im happy with my Cup, and I feel the Trophy is marketing/ability combined. I spose whats important to many, is thsat the Trophy wont be any quicker in the average B-road blast where most of us give 60% of what the car can do.

I do like the Trophy and what it stands for (it should have been the Cup from day one) but I think it doesnt look any better than the 182/Cup.

New, Id consider buying one, but Im not gutted I have a Cup.

Remapped derv Golf

Nah, Not really for me. If I was buying now then yes but I dont love the clio mk2 enough to warrent changing.

The 172 Cup will do me until I need a family car now.

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

I have to err on the side of I am not that bothered.

yes the suspension changes seem to have made a good improvment.... and the seats are nice....

but other than that.... its a 182.... and that can be done anyhow...... so the fuss seems a little ott imo!

172 cup TT

standard V standard is the 172 Cup Vs Trophy an even match?,.. the Trophy has more power but is the cup lighter??.. (serious question - not a firestarter)

Witnessed a V6/Trophy clash the other night.

Looked pretty even to me... that might change when the Trophys been run in :devilish:

Saw a Trophy the other day for the first time, looked really good. I see it as another option on the 182 wouldnt really consider trading in the full fat for it, but would consider it if I was buying a new one.

I want the wheels though :)

106 GTi

I was very tempted, but sensible head has prevailed as Ionly got my car in March. When I saw the one at Goodwood and sat in it I really wanted the seats. Was not impressed by the colour though, and the G/F hated it and made it fully clear she wanted to keep the black one. (Not that she gets to choose that!) I wouldnt want to lose some off the luxeries my full fat car has to, truth be told.

Really like the suspension and wheels, not sure if I could exploit the extra handling traits as well as other on here that spend alot off time on track though. Again like what the car stands for and it would be nice to own one of the last cars and a proper limited edition to boot.

All could change when I drive one though! But at the moment Id just like some recaros for my car....and the wheels and suspension would be nice LOL

If I was buying new at this moment though, I would be really unsure what model to buy!

RB182cup&golf gti

same as what said Roy said really, i dont think my driving ability would warrant me changing my cup for one, nice cars but well happy with my cup

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00

Give me a Mk1 172 (at 1035kg) or Mk2 172 Cup (at 1021kg) anyday over the Trophy. I suspect the new dampers are pretty pointless. How many of us will push that hard, that often, for it to be worthwhile? The true hot hatch, IMO, should just be fast and light, cheap to maintain and be painted yellow or blue.

Rob

You really need to drive it to appreciate it - Yes ok, It looks like any other 182 from the outset but it doesnt drive like one.

If you are a real driving enthusiast you will be pushing it at times.

Magazine pictures dont tell the whole story.

Quote: Originally posted by Rob669 on 08 July 2005

Give me a Mk1 172 (at 1035kg) or Mk2 172 Cup (at 1021kg) anyday over the Trophy. I suspect the new dampers are pretty pointless. How many of us will push that hard, that often, for it to be worthwhile? The true hot hatch, IMO, should just be fast and light, cheap to maintain and be painted yellow or blue.

Rob

LOL. I think they look pretty good, but cant see how theyre gonna get £13.5k for them, theyre hardly any different, and does anyone else think its pretty sh*t of renault to stick standard dynamique seats in the rear?? i mean, they could have at least put the renault sport seats in the back, or none at all ;)

MKIII 138

yea rear seats are a let down when you specify the recaros. buy a full fat and fit recaors or whatever seats take your fancy. the weight saving of that should be around 25-30kgs from that which brings it below 182 cup level but you still get all the toys + xenons.

not sure about the v6 spoiler, does it have a break light? i guess its ok but the 182 spoiler is nice also.

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355

Quote: Originally posted by Rob669 on 08 July 2005

Rob
The dampers are worthwhile wether youre driving at 10mph or 110mph, the ride is very good. Youve got the handling benefits youd get from running coilovers but with a ride that is far superior to even the standard 172 cup suspension.