ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Trophy Dampers

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Had a good look under a trophy recently. The rears units werent remote resevoir as far as i could see. Can someone confirm they are just standard dampers at the rear?

Standard in the sense they are a conventional damper and dont have a remote resevoir but they arent the same as cup pack dampers.

So you have remote resevoir dampers at the front to 'prevent damper fade' and then you go and get damper fade at the back anyway? I dont get it.

Isnt that like fitting high performance magnesium alloys to the front and they heavy steelies to the back?

www.renparts.co.uk
David_Jones said:
So you have remote resevoir dampers at the front to 'prevent damper fade' and then you go and get damper fade at the back anyway? I dont get it.

Isnt that like fitting high performance magnesium alloys to the front and they heavy steelies to the back?

correct me if im wrong but the fronts work a lot harder than the rears?

Could say the same thing about the alloys. Front work harder so only fit racing magnesium wheels to the front.

Twisted logic.

www.renparts.co.uk
David_Jones said:
Could say the same thing about the alloys. Front work harder so only fit racing magnesium wheels to the front.

Twisted logic.

yeh but the point is rolling weight when it comes to wheels. Why fit remote resevoirs if its not going to benefit from them. Trust me mate im sure a lot of thought went into the suspension setup, didn't just get bored when they got to the back and stick any old crap on.

If you apply the same logic then you'd be fitting the same size calipers and discs at the rear and end up over breaking the back end. Front and rear have massively different amounts of weight distributed above them and are also subject to different loads due to the way the car loads up different parts of suspension under cornering braking and acceleration. They will have thought this out and wont have fitted standard dampers if they werent sure they were suitable for the application.

www.renparts.co.uk
Loony said:
If you apply the same logic then you'd be fitting the same size calipers and discs at the rear and end up over breaking the back end. Front and rear have massively different amounts of weight distributed above them and are also subject to different loads due to the way the car loads up different parts of suspension under cornering braking and acceleration. They will have thought this out and wont have fitted standard dampers if they werent sure they were suitable for the application.

a better wording of what i was trying to say. There is no point in adding toys where they are not needed.

Gimmick - A unique or quirky special feature that makes something "stand out" from its contemporaries. However, the special feature is typically thought to be of little relevance or use. Thus, a gimmick is a special feature for the sake of having a special feature.

A 'special' damper for 'special' people

Anyone induced damper fade on the front end of a clio? Nope thought not.

www.renparts.co.uk
David_Jones said:
Gimmick - A unique or quirky special feature that makes something "stand out" from its contemporaries. However, the special feature is typically thought to be of little relevance or use. Thus, a gimmick is a special feature for the sake of having a special feature.

A 'special' damper for 'special' people

Anyone induced damper fade on the front end of a clio? Nope thought not.
Not just for fade though is it?

The proof is in the pudding, the trophy is better round the track than the cup?
Gimmick? possibly but a better gimmick?

They serve a purpose. The stickers add a visual reference to the car. The wheels are 'competition spec' alloys. The extra stiff subframe, enlarged baffled sump, cup racer based front suspension and unique engine are probably gimmicks though.

Coilovers, schmoilovers.

joshydee said:
Not just for fade though is it?

The proof is in the pudding, the trophy is better round the track than the cup?
Gimmick? possibly but a better gimmick?

Think youll find that evo timed it at a slower time. So £1000 (yeah sure it really costs that much) supsension gets you a slower time than the same car with a conventional damper.

No if they timed 100 laps maybe the trophys resevoir dampers would prevent fade and the times would be consistent and therfore quicker than the cup. However well never know as the brakes would have faded by lap 20 on both cars, so its irrelevant.

However, the 197 would still be having trouble free laps with its fade resistant 4 pot brakes.

David_Jones said:
schmoilovers.

kosher.jpg
?

www.renparts.co.uk
David_Jones said:
Think youll find that evo timed it at a slower time. So £1000 (yeah sure it really costs that much) supsension gets you a slower time than the same car with a conventional damper.

No if they timed 100 laps maybe the trophys resevoir dampers would prevent fade and the times would be consistent and therfore quicker than the cup. However well never know as the brakes would have faded by lap 20 on both cars, so its irrelevant.

However, the 197 would still be having trouble free laps with its fade resistant 4 pot brakes.

Ok then, so lets add remote dampers to the rear of the car and increase the cost more?

Happy? :)

A red missile
David_Jones said:

Owning a 172 you'd be in the best possible position to comment on the merits of the Trophy and the 197 wouldn't you? :hail:

I thought part of the point behind remote res dampers is that it allows thicker piston rods? Either way, the fact remains that the entire motoring press recognises the Trophy as having a good edge over a Cup/Cupped 182. Why would they lie? If you're dead you cant drive.

I am sure Renault after spending millions developing the Trophy set up have got it right. I have owned most model of clio and driven all and the trophy is by far the best handling of the bunch. It may not be the quickest but it is the best for handling.
Maybe suggest driving all models before coming to suggestions you know nothing about..

Thats my rant over!! Just get sick of seeing those sort of threads with no meaning and little information that makes any sense

wrx-172 said:
I am sure Renault after spending millions developing the Trophy set up have got it right. I have owned most model of clio and driven all and the trophy is by far the best handling of the bunch. It may not be the quickest but it is the best for handling.
I've driven them all I think and my preference is to a cup packed 182 the trophy I find to hard suspenion wise. Evenever will have different wishes. i don't think the tropry has much feedback though comapred to other cars which is somehting which for me is more important that speed and ability.

Each to their own I guess... Where as for me I sold the V6 and went to the Trophy as I felt that this car has most feedback and agility beingun real. These sort of comments are good stuff as its personal preference coming from experiences. Alot of this post is total balls. Saying that seems to be consistent with 90% of this forum now....what has happened?

wrx-172 said:
Each to their own I guess... Where as for me I sold the V6 and went to the Trophy as I felt that this car has most feedback and agility beingun real. These sort of comments are good stuff as its personal preference coming from experiences. Alot of this post is total balls. Saying that seems to be consistent with 90% of this forum now....what has happened?
Was it a Mk2 V6 you had how come you chnaged there quite different cars IMO I've never driven one just because I could never realistically own one so there was no point trying one.

I think that this topics gone a bit off as a certain ex forum member had started up a new account and got banned again.

Hi Ed Owned both, my personal favourite was the MK1... Just felt more on the edge.. the dodgy handling subject everyone talks about is balls.. You wouldnt notice the difference unless on the track pushing to its limits.

Change was originally due to losing company car, had a recent re-structure and the company car option got took away as not cheaper forthem to provide hire cars for staff when travel needed. Fair shout I guess. This meant not practical to own the Vee. As I still like the Ren sports I tried and tested and went for the Trophy, never looked back either :)
The other half still has a 172 which I enjoy still..
Would say alot of people on the forum need banning loking at some discussions ;-)