ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio throttle body / tps fault...help!

172 cup
thought i was clkever today and decided to steam clean the engine, then the propblems started!

first off all the car just revved to 3k and stayed there then dropped down then wenet up then when you put your foot hard down it only revs to 3.5k, tried aligning the throttle body with the ignition off and tried fooling the car into thinking the butterfly was in a different position and then it would be ok for the first blip of the throttle but after that it will only open less than a quarter and allow the car to rev to 3k

plugged in a code reader and it said throttle potentiometer fault, now i have read on here and seen the throttle body is a comin fault but surely its a bit of a coincidence to only play up when it was washed???

i have since sprayed wd40 contact cleaned and dried pretty much every connection that got wet, reset the eml and disconnected the battery and had no joy, i have even got to the point where i thought that the throttle body must be nackered so thought there was no harm in opening it up and seeing if it was wet and then cleaned it but its still no good

my question therefore is what breaks on the throttle body or has anyone else had the same problem or what do you think the fault is?

maybe if i leave it all to dry over night it might sort itself out but i really did not think the electrice were that shocking on these...i didnt even directly spray any plugs!!!

note to self...do not steam clean the engine bay on a french car again!!!

53 Clio's & counting
I expect the plug holes will be full of water, you need to get that out (dont take the plugs out to do it)

You can contaminate the plugs and leads by getting them soaked.

It may dry out over night, in lamens terms the electrical bit of the body may have got wet.

172 cup
i have cleaned all of that, its not misfiring, it says on my code reader its the throttle positioning sensor, i just want to know what part of them wears out and it seems that the throttle bodies are some what of a common problem on the clios...why are they so sh!t and does this sound like one that is fooked

This is why covering the electrics is a good idea. and even those hard to reach ones, a fine mist is all you need.

172 cup
or the fact that renaults are sh!te or no actually when they are going they are ok when they brake everything is a serious headache

clio 182cup
You damaged the trottle position sensor of electronic throttle ... unscrew the throttle body and turned it with the black cap down and let it at the table in a dry worm place for a day...

Maybe work after all... or buy another one...

I can't think of something else

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
or the fact that renaults are sh!te or no actually when they are going they are ok when they brake everything is a serious headache

You were basically spraying around sensitive electrics with water, you can't expect them to like it, French or not.

172 cup
was annoyed yesterday lol right frsh head and gone back to it, as i said i gathered the throttle body may have moisture inside and thought for what a second hand one costs and to prove to myself its nackered i will cut the metal band off and have a look inside i contact cleaned it and its still no good, i know its not the pedal because i tried my pedal on a 1.2 and it worked fine and then used the one of the 1.2 to double prove its not the pedal...so i have checked the wirin or as much of it as i can see and check for good or bad connections and they all seem to be fine, the fault code i am getting is p0120 generic tps / pedal position sensor a circuit malfunction, so i have eliminated the pedal bit and now it has to be the throttle body or a different fault would be thrown up...or not? it does not help that the car is stuck in limp mode either so that would also explain why the car will only allow itself to rev to 3k...how can i get rid of the limp mode light?...i can erase the engine management light code/fault but the limp mode one stays on and obviosuly the eml comes back on after a short period of time anyway so this does prove there is a fault and i just cant sort it...i think i need to prove my throttle body is fooked or try another one on mine and then the limp mode should immediatley turn off shouldnt it?

any of your experiences, input or findings would be greatly appreciated!

clio 182cup
i told you before "You damaged the throttle position sensor of electronic throttle"
That makes the TPS .

I have to remember of the back of my brain , that when you turn the key it dose a self learn and then stands to 6° open (i think) and ready to start up. Your throttle either way doesn't move at all or can't find the ready position (of 6°).

i think i need to prove my throttle body is fooked
yeap it allready gone...

try another one on mine and then the limp mode should immediatley turn off shouldnt it?
yes, it will turn off the limp mode 3K and everything will go back to normal, with no further effort.

172ph2
Hi folks,

I'm also getting this problem (02 Clio 172) but I didn't blast mine with water. Just went into LHM randomly under normal driving conditions, wasn't gunning it.

I've blasted the connections on the throttle body and the cable with connection cleaner, removed throttle body and cleaned with carb cleaner, still no joy, LHM kicked in while sitting at some lights.

Got the usual P0120 code, so going to check the pedal next, anyone know any good tests to carry out on it? What values i should get by sticking a meter accross it?

172ph2
update:

Got the OBD back on it and looking at the live data without the engine started I pressed the loud pedal and the absolute throttle position reading only went up to a max of about 66% is this normal?

Clio 172 ph2
I've had this a couple of times now and both times its been cured by cleaning the butterfly area with WD40 and a brush/rag, don't need to remove unit, just pipe from air filter.

Which light are you getting? I got the one in middle just below fuel light which is 'Electrical Fault' and of course limp home mode!

I think there is an underlying problem but strange how it always works fine after i've cleaned it! Perhaps i need a new air filter to sotp dirt getting in there in first place?

172ph2
Yeah I was getting the wiggly coil pack light.

I got a second hand TB off the bay, my original TB was making a horrid grumbling sound rather than the nice whine so quite happy with this newer one, sounds fine. Put it on, car ran fine for a week, but then started doing it again, LHM :(

So now I'm thinking throttle pedal....

From what I've read it all sounds a bit hit and miss as to what the cause is.
I'm ----> <---- this close to thinking about a Golf instead!!

172ph2
haha nope, didn't steam it.

It's doing the annoying rev bounce thing where it revs between 2600-3000 on it's own. Might pop the old TB back on as it didn't do this as much with that one.

RS RIP
This seems one of the hardest problems to solve without either buying a good car or just ripping al the wiring out to replace all the sensors, ecu + loom ofcourse

All threads just stop without conclusions. Only conclusion i get that once you get electrical problems they will stick to you like a fly on s**t

Clio 172 RS2
IMG_1018.jpg

Renault Clio 172
I was driving to work this morning on the motorway in my Clio Sport and suddenly lost all power and it was staying at about 2000rpm and wasn't driveable.

Got recovered and just been told its the TPS. However, they are having problems getting hold of the part because my car is "rare"

Anyone else been told the part would take longer to come as it is "rare"?

clio cup 172
Same problem...been getting the wavy light on and off but managed to cheat it for a couple of drives and then it completely lost it, went into limp mode & had to be recovered.
Been told I have to replace the throttle body & pedal ...part from renault cost LOTS because it's 'RARE'!!!
:(Will see if it helps.

Clio RS
Guys, I know this thread is old, but - is it possible that problem here (car goes to 2,5k rpm and throttle is not responding) is throttle pedal (is that on picture below what you mean with TPS?), although we checked on Clip while problem appeared and the position was changing while I pressed pedal?
s-l225.jpg