ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Speaker Upgrade Ideas

1.2L 16V Campus Spor
My New Clio is arriving tonight.
I am looking to upgrade the 4 13cm Speakers, but do not want to spend silly money.

My old car (Micra) had:

Kenwood Headunit
Kenwood 17cm Coax
Kenwood 6x9's
Fusion Amp
Fusion Sub

I am looking to fit 4x13cm and either:
upgrade the headunit and fit the 2 6x9 in parcel shelf and run the sub from the amp
or
run the 6x9's off the amp

But anyway, back to my original question - Decent quality 13cm's for £40-£50. I am currently looking at the following:
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/edge-street-ed205.html
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/vibe-slick5.html
Halfords #1
Halfords #2
Halfords #3

Thoughts? Feelings?

Listerine & Poledo
no need for both a sub and a set of 6x9

get good components up front, maybe some cheaper composites for the rear mounts

then it's upto you, if you need boot space, go with 6x9's (stealth shelf)
or if less bothered, sub in the boot.

well, that's my thoughts anyway, I am likely to be wrong

1.2L 16V Campus Spor
OK, car has arrived. Should I....
1) add new 13cm in door (coax) and disconnect dash tweeters, add 13cm in rear and 6x9 via amp
2) add new 13cm in door (comp) and upgrade dash tweeters and 6x9 via amp

Any other ideas please?

172cup
Jbl 507c components up front replace dash tweeter with jbl tweeter there like £40 50 Quid off eBay then use your original sub and amp in the boot. Job done as you won't get better for your current budget. Jbls are a very good budget componant speaker.

1.2L 16V Campus Spor
Jbl 507c components up front replace dash tweeter with jbl tweeter there like £40 50 Quid off eBay then use your original sub and amp in the boot. Job done as you won't get better for your current budget. Jbls are a very good budget componant speaker.

are there any complications I need to look out for with component speakers? I will not be keeping the sub - too much weight and no boot space. 6x9's will probably stay

Listerine & Poledo
The Pioneer and Hertz components are supposedly easier to fit due to their in-line filters, this would make life easier than routing wiring around from the crossovers.

2001 Clio 1.2
I just upgraded the front and rear speakers with components and tweeters with an amp under the drivers seat powering them and had an active under-seat sub in the boot to save space, sounded sweet till some c**t broke in and took it:(

Alltogether cost around £200, it wasnt the best kit but a lot better than standard

holfords #2 are decent for the money imo

Last edited:
  Impreza Wagon
I had some vibe components in my old car and they were great, cost around £50 but needed to be wired to an amp to get the full performance out of them.

I've also had loads of JBL parts over the past few years and its great for the money!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Head unit with HPF/LPF + sub in the boot.

/Done

Had this in my old Clio and the sound was immense, as the standard crappy speakers could cope with everything once the LPF <200Hz was swiched on.

I'm sure a set of £1000 components will sound better, but I'm a proper audiophile and it sounded superb for me.

6x9s are so 1999, plus they just get whacked when sitting on the parcel shelf, or nicked.

1.2L 16V Campus Spor
LOL, ok - new plan

Decent set of components in the front, replacing the standard tweeter/woofer combo
Set of coax in the rear speaker holes.

New problem too! Rear speaker holes are there..... but no wires? the HU has 8 wires out of it... so where are the other 2 going?!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Who cares.. the rears are craaaap anyway ! There's a set of co-ax's in mine and they still sound rubbish. Maybe the connectors/wires have fallen down to the floor ?!

I've got a Fli 12" boxed/amped sub .. and it was more than enough to give some low end punch. No need to fill the boot with speakers, attract attention from neighbouring counties and have it all nicked the first time you park up somewhere either ;)

1.2L 16V Campus Spor
Who cares.. the rears are craaaap anyway ! There's a set of co-ax's in mine and they still sound rubbish. Maybe the connectors/wires have fallen down to the floor ?!

I've got a Fli 12" boxed/amped sub .. and it was more than enough to give some low end punch. No need to fill the boot with speakers, attract attention from neighbouring counties and have it all nicked the first time you park up somewhere either ;)

I know what you mean, I already have some spare 13cm Coax's that I can put in, so its not like its gonna cost me anything. Cant find the wires anywhere. is that one of the grey tube FLI subs?

Listerine & Poledo
there are 2 places where "rear" speakers could be

in the rear passenger 'door' cards and on the plastic mouldings next to the parcel shelf.

THe latter wont have wires near it ona 3dr, but you should have 13cm's in the 'door' cards?

Giraffe knows the score. I've got an alpine with a LPF, set that to 100, take some pain off of the standard kit. Then one of those Pioneer "The Pump" subs in the boot that I've had for 10 years.

172cup
Send us a pm if your stuck mate. The only complications with comps is removing the dash but this can be done in around 5 mins. Your ideally wanting to just have front comps delivering mids and bass driven off an amp or decet hi, then a sub in the boot providing bass. The rear speakers and or 6x9s will just distort the sound stage or in lamens terms confuse best direction of sound towards you.
Hertz and jbl are very good entry level speakers that will sound far superior to the original Renault setup.

1.2L 16V Campus Spor
There are speaker holes in the rear, but no wires in or around the hole (ooh err).

The only problem I have is with the Headunit (Kenwood) and component speakers. Bear with me on the next bit ..

I understand that I will need a clio-kenwood harness (as I dont want to have to manually wire it). and I understand that the current tweeters/woofers are managed by the standard HU (no obvious crossover). If I was to replace both the woofer and tweeter, I would have to get a set with a crossover, and wire that up myself? I see that the speakers here are meant to be pretty good, lets use them as an example... If I wanted to install these, would I just swap them over, or would I have to wire up a crossover too?

172cup
You would need a harness for the Kenwood although most hus come with one or can be bought for under a Renner from halfords. The standard Renault tweeters have the crossover built in. When you replace componants you can use the original Renault wiring. You remove the speaker grill remove the original woofer and replace that with the one you buy the crossover is in line with the wiring so its a straight swap. The tweeter is removed from the dash, when you do this you can cut the wires going into the Renault one and simply connect your new tweeter to this with male female adapters and your good to go. Essentially when you remove all the speakers and crossovers your left with 8 wires which connect to the new speakers + and -. Hope this helps mate it is pretty simple when its all in front of you.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Don't need anything in the rear but your bass, a bit of fil if you're fussy

Good components up front and amp them if it's in your budget :)

172cup
Those speakers are not great. Just look for 13cm comps on CAD a set of spl dynamics at £69 will be farrrrr better have a look about as their not veichle specific just the size your looking for. No point getting something poor when you could have something that will really change the sound mate

1.2L 16V Campus Spor
Not sure if my PM is working, as nothing goes into my sent items... So will post here too

Right, I am clearly being dumb. If I do the following, am I doing it right or wrong?

1) Use wiring harness to install Kenwood HU
2) Order #1 or #2
2) Swap around standard woofer for new woofer
3) Remove Dash for easy access
4) Swap around standard tweets for new tweets (obv connect wires too - this I CAN do!)
5) Enjoy (after replacing dash)

So what would I do with the supplied crossover that would come with the new speakers? - I think this is where I am getting confused

1.2L 16V Campus Spor
OK, that adds more to it EvilGiraffe..

Ordered Jbl 507c BTW... as advised by gavswav_172

so... the wire from the woofer and the tweet goes into the crossover, and the crossover connects to the HU. yes?

1.2L 16V Campus Spor
HOLY S*** looks like its over! Thankyou SO much to everyone who stuck with it and helped me out. When all the gear arrives, I will be making a photo filled thread in the "Clio Projects" section to try to help any others who are used to the simple "fill every speaker hole with coax". As well as uploading the photos of my new love one its had a good clean.

Thanks again for all your help

172cup
Hate to tell you mate but the crossover for the 507c has to be mounted or sat in the door and new wire run to the new crossover which means wiring through the door which isnt hard just fiddly. Easily doable though :cool: justr set aside a weekend to get it all perfect no point bodging the job. You wont be dissapointed with the JBL's i ran them in my saxo then upgraded to hertz dieci 130s which are double the price, for the money JBL are extremley effective. You have our PMs if you get stuck mate. Good luck glad we could help

1.2L 16V Campus Spor
Hate to tell you mate but the crossover for the 507c has to be mounted or sat in the door and new wire run to the new crossover which means wiring through the door which isnt hard just fiddly. Easily doable though :cool: justr set aside a weekend to get it all perfect no point bodging the job. You wont be dissapointed with the JBL's i ran them in my saxo then upgraded to hertz dieci 130s which are double the price, for the money JBL are extremley effective. You have our PMs if you get stuck mate. Good luck glad we could help
How come they cant be mounted in the dash? It looks as though the crossover is separate? Will I need to hotglu them into the door panel to stop them moving about?

172cup
you could mount them wherever you like just means running the wiring differently mate look at the pic i sent u and just imagint the crossover moving and the connecting wires getting longer.