ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio PH1 Oil level varies???

PH2 Track Car
My PH1 has an oil leak, i was keeping an eye on it to see how much it was loosing. It was fine then dropped quite quickly to half way down dipstick.

I kept an eye on it as i drove some more mileage and it lost small amount but not much.

i decided to top it up and watch the level vs miles, done 400 miles it dropped about 2mm below max, now it has still leaked as marks under car not massive but i checked it again yesterday and it was now about 5mm above the max????

i always check it outside the house on the same level ground.

any ideas? car runs fine? no pressure light coming on.

monaco 172
U checking it on a cold engine? The level will be lower on a hot engine as the oil will be up in the top end And not in the sump.

A cool reading will be higher as the oil will be settled in the sump

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Also getting similar
Whenever i top up - from at least 4 hrs cold, on a flat surface- it seems to drop to about just over half, then stays there?
I top up again, then it drops to just over half and stays there. about every 3/400 miles.
No smoke from exhaust, and engine seems to run tickety boo. No leaks either.

Do 172s not like being to max mark? and is it just burning a bit off each time
Ive now stopped filling up, to see if it keeps dropping and dropping, which it hasnt much in the past

Its not that costly as only do about 4k muiles a year max, just a pain?