ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio on watchdog AGAIN

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
abit worried about this happening to me on my long drives to devon on the m4/m5. may need to design abit of rope to hook on something incase.

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
haha,

"Dear customer please attend one of our bonnet closing seminars so as to avoid your bonnet flying up and causing a 70mph pile up on the motorway and killing 400 people"

good old renault shite

FF Blackgold 182
I didn't see it the other week or tonight. My Dad was trying to make me aware of it, but I'm not sure if there is anything to be concerned about. :S Is there?

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
thought the problem was with the mk2 ph1 as the mk2 ph2 had differnt bonnet catches.
98-01.
may have dream it tho. :S

white clio 1.82
i moved my bonnet slightly forward on the 4 10mm bolts so that it takes 2 people 2 open the bonnet, 1 2 hold the lever up and the other 2 make it pop up and pull the leaver, only problem is then tho u cant open it on ur own but i manage by jamming the lever up then running to the front of the car!! i suppose its better than the alternative of bonnet 2 windscreen and face

Better than yours. C*nt.
thought the problem was with the mk2 ph1 as the mk2 ph2 had differnt bonnet catches.
98-01.
may have dream it tho. :S

Think you may be right - there are similar issues with Fiesta Mks and Phases - what enthusiasts term the Mk5 is a Mk4 Facelift to Ford, and the Mk6 is the Mk5. Perhaps similar with Renault, I know I've looked at mine on my 182 and it doesn't look like it can fail because of the way the clip is made?

Hmmm... mine is mk2 52(03) plate and I really dont see how the bonnet cold possibly open, seeing as you have to pull the lever away from the car... surely high speed would push the lever into the car, thus rendering it safe? Or am I missing something?

I reckon its people who dont close the bonnet properly, who close it gently and the catch doesnt, er, catch. You'd think they would test the bonnet afterwards by trying to lift it, I always do. I think its on par with people who dont check their oil and then wonder why their head gasket goes.

Anyone on here had their bonnet fly open?

Renault Clio Mk2 Ph1 1.2
I am abit worried to be honest, on all other cars bonnets i have opened my clio is the only 1 in which after the lever inside the car is pulled nothing else has to be done. Normally its the lever inside the car and then the release under the bonet. Not the case with mine....

1.6 16v clio priv
I am abit worried to be honest, on all other cars bonnets i have opened my clio is the only 1 in which after the lever inside the car is pulled nothing else has to be done. Normally its the lever inside the car and then the release under the bonet. Not the case with mine....

it should be a release in the car and then a catch under the bonnet get yours checked mate your driving a death trap

it should be a release in the car and then a catch under the bonnet get yours checked mate your driving a death trap

Indeed.

Mine has a lever above the grille that you pull out (after pulling the lever inside the car) to release the bonnet. Would of thought yours should be the same

Thats quite an offputting report, I'm quite safe in the knowledge I wont have this problem...unless I'm doin 70 in reverse ;)

clio 1.4 petrol
All of you saying theres nothing to worry about are wrong! dont listen to renault saying its how people lift the bonnet. It doesnt take a brain scientist to realise when its been on watchdog with hundreds of people getting their bonnet smashed into their front windscreen, and almost there faces, that theres a problem. And not only that it was also on watchdog again with it happening to even more people in past week and there keeping track of it. You may think "OH!!! dont be silly iv been 120mph blah blah blah, it wont happen to me" but think about it. Bet thats what the people who it just happened to also said before it actually did. Theres clearly a problem. Anyone got any suggestions to how to fix it?

172 Cup
I think it was to do with the catch under the bonnet being pulled and not returning to the closed position by the spring, probobly because of build up of crap on the catch linkage. As this would only cause the spring to hold the bonnet down and i suppose the wind does the rest.
Just make sure its clean and that it retracts the catch that you pull to open the bonnet. i think 99.9% of people on this site shouldnt worry too much!

1.2 16v Dynamique
My cable snapped and the bonnet catch seized last year so had to have it replaced for the MOT so hopefully mine will be ok....

I think it was to do with the catch under the bonnet being pulled and not returning to the closed position by the spring, probobly because of build up of crap on the catch linkage. As this would only cause the spring to hold the bonnet down and i suppose the wind does the rest.
Just make sure its clean and that it retracts the catch that you pull to open the bonnet. i think 99.9% of people on this site shouldnt worry too much!

Thats an exact description, my gfs 1.2 catch was clogged up, luckily I noticed this while topping up the water. Lube it up, check it regularly and it will be fine.

1.8 Civic EX
It only effects the MK2 PH1's...the ones with the rounder (frog like) headlights for those that are unsure..

it's a problem with the actual catch I'm led to believe theres a rather brittle part of the catch made of plastic and breaks easily hense the bonnet flying up and smacking the window.

just go to renault if your worried there shouyld be some sort of fix for it..

racing blue 182

thats wots wrong with them!!!!!!!!
when i open the bonnet on my clio it wont close after. the spring is just not working and allowing the catch to come back to the closed position.
seeing watchdog i am a little worried about my car.
but as long as it is closed properly it shouldn't fly open.
just grease up the catch evertime u use it.

racing blue 182

Thats an exact description, my gfs 1.2 catch was clogged up, luckily I noticed this while topping up the water. Lube it up, check it regularly and it will be fine.

i totally agree with u. my lock is f****d but just lube it up and hopefully all is well!!! thank god for lube!!!!!!!!!!!!!!