ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio MK2 172 and Amplifier

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if we can fit an amplifier to the stock "Tuner List" Head unit? I heard yes and i also heard no. So i just need some clarification:)

Cuz if i can i will get a 2 Ch Amp and change front speakers most likely and get a dension ipod adaptor.

Many Thanks,
Kenn.

You can but you need to use RCA splitter cables. Basically a cable with a bare wire that can be connected into speaker cable coming from the head unit and an RCA connector on the other that connects to an RCA lead going to the amp.

Loony said:
You can but you need to use RCA splitter cables. Basically a cable with a bare wire that can be connected into speaker cable coming from the head unit and an RCA connector on the other that connects to an RCA lead going to the amp.

Hi Loony,

Thanks for the info. Is this method bad? Will quality suffer or is it as good as it were a head unit with RCA's out in the first place? I just want to keep the stock HU so that it blends in with the dash.....

p.s. if i brought it to an audio shop would they know to do the above ?

Cheers,
K.

U had this in my clio to start off with, you will loose alot of quality and it is alot of work to fir it all. I bought myself a nice new headunit with RCA outs and the quality improved several times over.

Its better to upgrade the headunit as obviously the quality isnt as good as an aftermarket unit with the correct connections on the back would be. But if you want to run an amp and better speakers with the standard unit its an acceptible way to do it. Any reputable audio centre should know how to do it and what to use.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Ye, you can get speaker level amplifiers but it really isnt worth the hassle for the quality you will end up with. Get a decent alpine unit with a couple RCA outs on the back and get it hooked up properly for the best SQ.

Thanks for the info guys. I am just trying to figure out which HU is the best to get to match the current console? i.e. orange lighting and greyish on the outside???

Also would need it to display radio stations and time,temp and tracks if possible.

Cheers,
K.

temp and time will still remain in the dash top display all you lose is the station/track info and also the steering wheel controls. There are wiring looms that will sort one of these or both issues depending on the manufacturer of the headunit.

k3nnis said:
Thanks for the info guys. I am just trying to figure out which HU is the best to get to match the current console? i.e. orange lighting and greyish on the outside???

Also would need it to display radio stations and time,temp and tracks if possible.

Cheers,
K.
Most new hu's will have the ability to change colour to your choice, IIRC the new Alpine's can also do this.

Thanks for the info Guys. Sorry if this has been asked before, can someone confirm which HU's just a couple that will support the display of tracks and station info and keeping the steering wheel stalk on the 172 MK2 dash display using adaptors?

Alpine 9853R Head Unit with steering/stalk adapter. Car display shows "volume up/down, seek up/down, and Alpine". You can change the colour of the lights 256 different ways.

IMG_1650.gif

Thanks for the pic. I wonder if anyone have a headunit with pictures that displays radio stations and also the track number...

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
fUbAr said:
Alpine 9853R Head Unit with steering/stalk adapter. Car display shows "volume up/down, seek up/down, and Alpine". You can change the colour of the lights 256 different ways.

512 on my 9853R .. yours must be broken ;)

2002 Clio Dynamic
I would say to get a decent priced Alpine unit as they are probably the best,but if you want to still use the stalk you could look at either a Sony or Kenwood as they have adaptors that let you retain the use of the stalk controls on you after market HU

E87 118i
this is my sony with a connects2 adaptor, in this pic radio's rds name is shown, mp3 names alsoshow.

radio_02.jpg