ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio mk2 1.2 16v misfire

Yet another problem..
Car was serviced not long ago, just after I purchased it. Had a misfire then but that was due to the plugs being knackered, purchased coil pack but wasn't needed. Also the car had been neglected in terms of regular servicing so had a load of sludge at the neck of the oil cap. Now I've got a misfire again & mayo on the cap, I know that short drives can cause the mayo due to condensation etc. No water loss or that, could this just be condensation? The cars done around 200 miles since the service. Thanks in advance, pics below.
Images of mayo.
th_0be2b1fda93a71d4c2e67c6c04d56d64_zps33c66359.jpg

th_b9b098233a62585ca766509fbb6d9f4d_zpsb7a35d8c.jpg

th_f91d8895baf8fefc416227e4b49a41e1_zps64e18280.jpg

..Jack..

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Clear it off and take it for a long drive, that'll clear condensation, have you replaced coil pack as you said it wasn't need at first

Clear it off and take it for a long drive, that'll clear condensation, have you replaced coil pack as you said it wasn't need at first

Should I just leave it on? Gonna do that tomorrow as I hadn't returned it when I ordered it when it was serviced a few weeks back. How long a drive you reckon I should take it when the coil packs been fitted? Just hoping it's not the head that's gone, with it only just hitting 50k on the clock & having a good bit doing to it lately. Thanks for the advice.

..Jack..

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
I was worried when I bought mine, misfire and the oil cap gunk, changed coil pack and plugs, cleaned the cap and it occasionally gets gunned up again due to condensation

I was worried when I bought mine, misfire and the oil cap gunk, changed coil pack and plugs, cleaned the cap and it occasionally gets gunned up again due to condensation

Will give that a try, did you do the coil pack yourself? Was just to find out what tools you used & how long it took? Thanks

..Jack..

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Will give that a try, did you do the coil pack yourself? Was just to find out what tools you used & how long it took? Thanks
There's two types of Coilpacks one with 3 bolts was what I had to replace. It's really simple, pop off engine cover, pop out all Ht Lead plugs and disconnect connector from rear of coil pack main box then undo 3 screw. I replaced sparks too as I didn't know the cars history too well. Then screw new box in place then clip connector in and put leads on new plugs in the correct numbered order.

From what I seen when I last looked it was 3 bolts, I thought they where torx bolts right enough. The plugs where just changed recently so will have a look at them as well. Thanks

..Jack..

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
From what I seen when I last looked it was 3 bolts, I thought they where torx bolts right enough. The plugs where just changed recently so will have a look at them as well. Thanks
I wasn't too worried about a genuine part and got mine for about £40 from ECP

I wasn't too worried about a genuine part and got mine for about £40 from ECP
Yeah it's the Bosch one for £45 I ordered for ECP when I ordered all the servicing stuff. Could have got one cheaper for about £30 but heard some after market ones can be pretty poor & not last so long. Thought pay a little extra for the piece of mind.

Nothing, breakdown came out, he seemed knowledgable on clios as he had one. Took off a sensor gave that a clean & it's sorted now. He said it was a combo of the sensor & the old coil pack being weak. Will keep an eye on it for now so I'm hoping that's it sorted now. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the advice jack, greatly appreciated mate.