ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio mk1 clutch issue resolve?

clio 1.8 rsi
Hi I have a mk1 cliio rsi and it keeps eating cables like once every month thsts how bad so I assume the clutch is warn so if I put a higher spec clutch in and a new release bearing will it improve it as the pedal before is solid . If there is a way to make it lighter buy replacement parts off a clio 172 etc that can sldo be done I would be grateful if somebody could tell me cheers

Lunar Mk1 & Flamer
As ive already said,

Stock Clutch for Stock Power

Genuine Cable from renault.

172 clutch will require 172 flywheel, which will then require different engine management as the mk1 clios used a funky trigger pattern on the flywheel. So not really an option.
You could use a 5 GTT clutch but thats vile... and tbh not required unless your running over 190bhp.

Type clio soft clutch conversion into ebay normally a few bits knocking about on there..

Whats needed

1) Mk1 clutch
2) 172/182 release bearing (maybe any mk2 bearing will work but i know the sport ones do)
3) Mk2 fork and bracket
4) Pivot bush that the fork sits on in the bellhousing
5) Genuine renault cable

Here is a list of the volvo equivilant and how to from retro renault site... Somone may know the renault part numbers on here.

Soft Pedal Clutch Conversion

This is the same conversion carried out by the likes of BB Performance. It involves switching the standard clutch release lever/fork for a Volvo one along with some other bits.

Here are the Volvo main dealer part numbers for the longer clutch lever and other bits:

Fork V03455952
Bracket V03424195
Nylon Cap V03467278
Brass Bush V03455957
Flange lock Nut V00971098
Flange Bolt V00946329

Clutch Pedal Stop Plastic Block from Renault 6006 003 944 is £1.28 inc VAT.

Total parts cost is around £23.00.

The nylon bearing is fitted while the clutch is out. The arm is fitted to the gearbox when the new clutch goes in. The extension bracket is fitted to the bell housing mounting point where the large round clutch cable sheath end used to fit up to and through. The bush goes through this large hole to hold the bolt that clamps the bracket in place.

The extension of the release arm compared with the standard one is: Long lever; 62mm from tip of release bearing end to pivot and 225mm overall, Short lever; 60mm and 160mm overall. So the long lever is 65mm longer. The bracket is necessary to extend the sheath end to about the same distance so the cable can run straight into the sheath.

(For those who want to calculate the total leverage ratios the clutch pedal is 230mm from just beyond the centre of the rubber foot to the centre metal pivot, then about 50 to 55mm from the pivot to the top where cable runs through.)

The nylon cup is a replacement pivot bearing that the clutch release lever sits on inside the bell housing. The old one will probably have worn. The new one was quite a bit higher on mine. The old cap can (while the gearbox is out of the car) be easily removed by working the open end of an about 12 to 14mm spanner behind it and gently levering. The new one just pushes on.

The arm cannot be retro fitted from the outside afterwards as it's too big to go through the hole in the bell housing. So is the standard arm by the way.

In the car you will need to take off the 'clutch pedal stop'behind the pedal and is usually green and hacksaw some off the height so the pedal sits higher and therefore starts to de-clutch sooner. Otherwise you will find that the pedal has to be pushed through the carpet to get the gears in. The pedals stops vary in height so you will have to experiment.

clio 1.8 rsi
okay well im looking at doing the clio soft conversion just got hold of the fork and bracket from a 172 also the release bearing now need to find that pivot thingy haha just don't want any hassle when taking the old one old wats likely to be worn etc just replace it there and then

clio 1.8 rsi
pivot bush sorry i said soft conversion for some reason but thats the volvo parts. just want the first one but need the pivot bush

Call Adam - 01902 439264

And ask him for the little plastic bush/cap thing that the clutch fork pivots on thats just inside the bellhousing think the part number is 77 00 875 163

This is a pic of what you should have (pictures borrowed from google)

SUC30801.jpg

Pivot cap /bush fitted the white part to the right of the input shaft.

SUC30806.jpg

Fork,bracket and release bearing in place

SUC30815.jpg

clio 1.8 rsi
Ok wat about the two gold nutt and bolt with washer sorry about questions im more tge bodywork lad rather the engines ha

CS2 PH1, Pug S16,
If you have problem with cluch fork, you can use original part from 2 litre laguna 1, megane 1, scenic 1 and etc Renaults with 2 litre engine and manual gear box.

Ok wat about the two gold nutt and bolt with washer sorry about questions im more tge bodywork lad rather the engines ha

It holds the black part below them in the above picture.

It bolts through the hole on the gearbox where the outer of the clutch cable sits usually.