ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Mk 1 drive shaft

Clio 1.4
Hi and I need some advice
I'm failing to repair my car, its a 1996 Mk 1 phase 2 LHD Clio 1.4. with ABS and rear disks
It failed its CT (the french MOT) on a knocking lower ball joint - so i have tried to change this -and got the new one on but during this process the hub has moved outward and, I think, become disengaged from the spline on the inner CV joint/gearbox end. Nothing I seem to try will persuade it to move back to allow the ball joint bracket to line up with the two bolts. There appears to be no oil leakage from the gearbox end.
I think what I did wrong was to turn the steering wheel while the ball joint and wishbone was disconnected. The Hayes manual suggests that there maybe a drive pin connecting the spine into its housing but but I can't tell if my car, which is LHD, has these or not the reference in Hayes refers to right and left hand sides but I don't know if these titles are round the other way on my car - the bolt and the hole its supposed to line up with are about 40 mm out. I'm very stuck right now I live alone out in the sticks and have no other transport so I'm panicking a bit.
Is there some trick to getting the thing back into position, thanks in advance for your help.