ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio GT

See tbh, i dont really care about have 200bhp on tap, its a family cart, a 1.6 would do. My mum has the zetec s fiesta, i love to drive it, solid feeling car, dont know if its slightly too expensive though. I also like the punto evo, if i can get a nice spec one. Went a look yesterday and a car that really caught my eye was the kia pro cee'd 3, comes with leather, 17s and alot of toys. ONly a year old and ill get it for 8.5k.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Those kia things are bloody lovely! I was parked next to a black one today at Asda and thought it looked very very smart.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Sorry I apologise, its very irritating/frustrating (actually gutting at times) having people slate your own car all the time, and then having people tell you your opinion is invalid because you dont own a 197. Its like ive bought the most s**t car available. I really do like it and Ive enjoyed driving it at times, is that a crime? I also have it on coilovers now, which made a ton of difference (IN MY OPINION).

I wanted a 197 at one point, Ive driven a 197 too and didnt think much too it if I'm honest. Better than a GT - obviously. More expensive to run. Yes. I wouldnt have spent as much as it was going to cost me running it anyway. I wouldnt have any money in my savings account put it that way - I did the maths.

It is gutless, I never said it wasnt, its actually quite frustrating at times Ill admit, it doesnt really do much until 4000rpm and anything after is also a joke, all I said was that when you rev it to kingdom come it will move. The steering rack can also be frustrating at times too especially switching between BMW's and the GT. Gearbox is horrible and the clutch is quite frankly s**t. Driving position is dire. I can go on.........Still I like it.

Dont buy a GT - Unless you don't expect anything from it and want somehting cheaper to run than an RS. Its also well equiped as standard. Just doesn't have anything going for it engine, handling, chassis, steering rack, box and clutch wise. It is what it is. I'm sure I mentioned that. You also get this sort of s**t from forum members all the time.

On a side note, go look at a Zetec S (I didnt like the interior), Panda (It was a Fiat, but a cool car non the less) and some others im sure there are more.......

Just embrace the fact that your car is slower than a 200.

However, it looks ten times better than a 200!! (GT front end pwns the 200's front end. FACT!)

Not a 320d
See tbh, i dont really care about have 200bhp on tap, its a family cart, a 1.6 would do. My mum has the zetec s fiesta, i love to drive it, solid feeling car, dont know if its slightly too expensive though. I also like the punto evo, if i can get a nice spec one. Went a look yesterday and a car that really caught my eye was the kia pro cee'd 3, comes with leather, 17s and alot of toys. ONly a year old and ill get it for 8.5k.

Which was how I understood your origional post, and why I tried to give you an opinion on a GT. Not as a comparason to a 197.......... Not much room in the back either btw.

Just embrace the fact that your car is slower than a 200.

However, it looks ten times better than a 200!! (GT front end pwns the 200's front end. FACT!)

When did I say it wasn't? Im perfectly happy with admitting that a "tuned" 2000cc clio is faster than a "non tuned" 1600cc...

GT looks ugly as sin too. Not as bad as a 200.

exactly my thought, great looking car, going to test drive a blue one tomorrow. 1.6 124bhp. Boots massive lots, lots of space in the back and the interior is class. The half leather seats are magic :)

Not a 320d
Out of interest - What do you expect from the engine?

It has very little torque. I guess its okay for driving round town in gently. Wonder if the Diazzle would be a better choice?

I am also looking at the Clio GT as a next car. Seems to fit the bill on paper. Insurance is also a huge factor in car choice for myself too.

Are these cars really that bad?

How the f**k do you lot get insurace so cheap, i havent made a claim in over 3 years now, not had any no claims bonus since then as iv always chopped and changed policies or been a named driver. Just tried confused.com for a 182 there and the cheapest was fycking 2400. takes the piss. Ill be driving 4 years in may when i turn 22 , i drive around 40k a year in the works van, i very rarely speed and if i do its only doing 75-80 on the motorway on the way home. Really pisses me off man :(

Not a 320d
Im 22, been driving 5 years in May (end). Got 3yrs NCD and 6 points (first 3 were in nov 07), cars on coils, I pay £800 ish with my mum as a named driver. Fronted for about 3 years i think, 3rd insurance policy I had I was due to start on my own and had 0 Years NCD, I was lucky (after bantering on phone) and my current insurer agreed to give us 2 years NCD (out of a possible 3). On my 4th policy now with 5th to start in May just before ive been driving 5 years. I was getting stupid quotes on insurance for 197's and FN2 CTR's. I mean ok I could have used the £11.5k cash I stumped up to buy a 197 and insure it, but the following year when was I supposed to do? I only work part time. I quite liked the GT so it seemed a good option. Funnily enough, I was only paying £700 last year. yet i get an extra NCD and it goes up a fair whack.

@ Clio-Ell

Depends what you want from a car and how much expereince youve had driving other cars with good running gear, as a car its okay but as a performance vehicle its dissapointing. Read post #40 in this thread.

You might get bored of the 1.6 engine if you want to cain it everywhere but then, im sure id get bored of a Focus RS after a while.

Well as it stands the now, anything up to a 1.6 is costing between 800 and a 1000 for me and the mrs, and its me that brings her insurance down. She is just coming up on 2 years next month.

Arctic 182 & PB 172
Suzuki Swift Sport...ill say again. LOW INSURANCE group somehow they managed to get classed as a group nine!! Torquey wee thing, so much fun round corners and windy b roads, look the business, feel well built and solid and do turn heads. Cheap on the old servicing as well.

Id have kept mine of i could afford to run that and the clio but alas im not minted!!

Going to see about buying a Citroën c4 loeb special edition thing. Lovely car and the mrs loves it. Just got the 1.6hdi engine in it but iv already got remap in my head and its a good engine for my mrs commuting :D love the interior aswell :D