ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio GT 1.6 (128 Bhp)

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I assume the same engine is in this Clio GT as is in the RS Twingo?

Imo, its a good little engine (When its in a little go-kart like the Twingo), however, in a much heavier car (The Clio) I can imagine it would be quite slow?

Not a 320d
Are both front Wheels recieving power or is it only one? I Find I get stupid amounts of wheelspin pulling out of left hand junctions but not so much right?

Funny, i noticed this just this morning lol.

End of the day guys its a slow and gutless engine, needs working very hard for it to be any fun too.

Still incredibly fun though ;)

Ps. 36mpg averaging now, altho i managed to get stuck in traffic again and thats gone down to 33.

Funny, i noticed this just this morning lol.

End of the day guys its a slow and gutless engine, needs working very hard for it to be any fun too.

Still incredibly fun though ;)

Ps. 36mpg averaging now, altho i managed to get stuck in traffic again and thats gone down to 33.

should have gone for the dci if your concened about mpg ;) an if the trips as optimistic as mine your only getting 30 :rasp:

R26
Imo, its a good little engine (When its in a little go-kart like the Twingo), however, in a much heavier car (The Clio) I can imagine it would be quite slow?

I definitely wouldn't call it slow. It's not insanely fast either (it's no Clio RS), but there's no mistake it's a sports car. That is, provided you keep the engine screaming and revs between 4500 and 7000 rpms ;)

Admittedly you can't maintain the pace as good as in Clio RS, when you lose speed you have to work to get it back again, but this kind-of forces you to exploit the excellent handling and grip and maximize speed through the corners - one of my favourite disciplines :D And it can drive through the corners almost like the Clio RS...

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Sports car? Excessive wheel spin? Are we still talking about a 1.6 Clio here?

MCS R56
I definitely wouldn't call it slow. It's not insanely fast either (it's no Clio RS), but there's no mistake it's a sports car. That is, provided you keep the engine screaming and revs between 4500 and 7000 rpms ;)

Admittedly you can't maintain the pace as good as in Clio RS, when you lose speed you have to work to get it back again, but this kind-of forces you to exploit the excellent handling and grip and maximize speed through the corners - one of my favourite disciplines :D And it can drive through the corners almost like the Clio RS...

Is it not a GT?

R26
Btw, I experience no excessive wheel spin. In fact I haven't experienced wheel spin at all... The tires (Michelin Pilot Primacy) really surprised me how good they are, the car has lots of grip on dry roads.

To be honest, I'm surprised anyone would have wheel spin problems - it's not a problem in Clio RS and it has 200 HP...

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
lol at sports car and wheel spin....... Its callled too much right foot in greasy conditions. Do they not have traction control....?

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
This is true.

I have 2 friends who have Mk3 Clio TCE's. They both commented on how easy it is to spin the wheels up on it compared to their previous cars. They have more experience with me but still only 1 or 2 years.

Maybe its a learning curve, or maybe I just can't resist that glorious noise as it hits the rev limiter.

Not a 320d
lol at sports car and wheel spin....... Its callled too much right foot in greasy conditions. Do they not have traction control....?

As an option yeah, i didnt choose it, cant stand TC or ESP.

Maybe its a learning curve, or maybe I just can't resist that glorious noise as it hits the rev limiter.

Does sound good doesnt it, cant wait to have it mapped and get the limiter to 7k.

Gearbox is loosning up nicely now and the engine is getting a little better on fuel. Been traveling in heavy traffic a lot recently and its returning 28 to 30.

Mini Cooper S
This is true.

I have 2 friends who have Mk3 Clio TCE's. They both commented on how easy it is to spin the wheels up on it compared to their previous cars. They have more experience with me but still only 1 or 2 years.

Tis a piece of piss....2 different engines, point is?

Please delete this GT thread now....it's gone on for decades!!!!!

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Tis a piece of piss....2 different engines, point is?

Please delete this GT thread now....it's gone on for decades!!!!!

My point is, the Clio mk3 itself is easier to wheelspin than other cars, according to people I've chatted with. This is just a theory as I said.

If you don't like this thread, GTFO.

Its for people with GT's. Sharing opinions, problems etc. Just because you are bored of a thread doesn't mean delete it. There is little spam in here and all posts are about the topic.

I see no reason to delete a thread just because it doesn't relate to your interests.

Mini Cooper S
I'm joking babes...calm down. But TBH, any car with a bit of torque is gonna spin up easily in first, you just have to moderate the power...or lack of! Especially in these conditions!

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Fair doos!

Here is an engine bay shot. Still don't now what that spare bit of plastic on the air filter feed is for...

4122699214_c79549cd86_b.jpg

Not a 320d
Fair doos!

Here is an engine bay shot. Still don't now what that spare bit of plastic on the air filter feed is for...

4122699214_c79549cd86_b.jpg

Comment unrelated slightly, but the n/a 1.2 16v airbox has a similar feature, the air box was one big f**k off piece of hollow plastic whichalso acted as an engine cover, but it was obviously a lot bigger. Box connected to the air feed, and to the filter. The box was hollow.

What I meant was, the airbox in your car IS a 197 airbox. Its the same for the 1.4, 1.6, 2.0 (138) and 197 and possibly some others to.

R26
Any idea on the suspension ?

To quote a press release:

"Renault Sport Technologies’ engineers have paid special attention to ensure that Clio GT’s chassis combines first class dynamic ability with a comfortable ride. The stiffness of the front springs and the calibration of the front dampers have been uprated by 15 per cent compared to the previous version. The variable-rate coil springs at the rear are 15 per cent stiffer, too, and the new rear dampers feature larger diameter rods. These solutions ensure enhanced control of body movement and more precise cornering without detracting from comfort. To counter body roll, the front anti-roll bar diameter has been increased from 20.5 to 21mm, while the rear suspension is equipped with the same stiffer bushes as Clio Renaultsport. Clio GT’s power steering is also more direct for swifter response and greater driving pleasure."

Not a 320d
Id love to know whhether the springs for a normal clio or 197 would fiot so i can get it lowered.

I dont know if its using its own dampers or not copmpared to the RS or the dynamique models

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Wont be RS dampers as they use the double axis wishbone set up from the meggy. I'd punt money on the GT using the standard (though tweeked) set up