ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio GT 1.6 (128 Bhp)

Not a 320d
I used to love that about my 1.2, could rag it to the limiter in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and not even be speeding on a 70mph road. My usual redline in 2nd and 3rd then a little push in 4th puts me over 100 in the 172 :dapprove: where as it would be 80 in the 1.2

What do the GT's do in 3rd?

Ill have a look next time im out in it but i think its pretty poor, its about 35mph in 1st, 55 in 2nd, 3rd i THINK takes it to about 70 80 although im not sure. 3rd gear is pretty s**t as are the remaining 3 gears. Its no where near as fun as my 1.2.

R26
The first gear is pretty long, but the rest are fairly short. It's the same TL4 gearbox as in 197/200. Short, fast and you get to play with it a lot when driving :D

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I used to love that about my 1.2, could rag it to the limiter in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and not even be speeding on a 70mph road. My usual redline in 2nd and 3rd then a little push in 4th puts me over 100 in the 172 :dapprove: where as it would be 80 in the 1.2

What do the GT's do in 3rd?

Think its around 70/80 mate.

Not a 320d
The first gear is pretty long, but the rest are fairly short. It's the same TL4 gearbox as in 197/200. Short, fast and you get to play with it a lot when driving :D

top of third at the limiter is 83 on the dials.

1st gear is appaulingly short IMO. 4th gear is pointless and 6th needs to be longer. They should have stuck the 138 2L 16v engine from the dynamique in there as it needs the extra torque, 155nm isnt enough IMO.

I bet the twingo RS is so much fun with 5 gears.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
6TH definatly needs to be longer! Would bring the MPG up for long motorway cruises!

320d
tbh the best of the 1600cc's are dead and gone :(

So true. The N/A 1600cc is dead now. Modern cars are too heavy to be genuinely quick with a N/A 1600cc.

Albeit the 2000cc N/A is dead too bar the Clio 200 and CTR i'm stuggling to think of another N/A hot hatch.

So true. The N/A 1600cc is dead now. Modern cars are too heavy to be genuinely quick with a N/A 1600cc.

Albeit the 2000cc N/A is dead too bar the Clio 200 and CTR i'm stuggling to think of another N/A hot hatch.

bring on the turbos ;)

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Well tbh, no matter what anyone could ever say. I love my car. The power is way more than i use as well.

Clio III RS 200

I don't know what are the price ratios in UK, but Clio GT in Croatia is the cheapest warm hatch in the market, and probably one of the main reasons for the lower price is simple NA engine (compared to Grande Punto 1.4 tjet 120, Peugeot 207 gt 150, Ibiza FR 150 etc...). Those turbos are faster and probably have better fuel consumption, but Clio GT is the easiest way to get into a car which won't be the slowest on the road and have all the cool / sporty gadgets (it is just around 600€ more than the TCE with Exception trim level). If you take a look on Megane III price list, 1.6 16v 110 is more than 1500€ cheaper than the 1.4 tce and that was probably the reason why Renault decided to use Twingo RS's powerplant in the GT. TBH, I think that the tce 130 would work better, but I'm just trying to follow Renault's train of thought :D

clio rs
im gettin 35mpg out my 1.2 is that good ofr s**t?

im still running mine in
Im getting 35-42mpg frm a 172
I get forgetting the last time a used the pump, i expect anything less than a 1998cc to be good on mpg or better just have an RS

Not a 320d
Yes. The GT doesn't seem to be getting a good name out of it either tbh.

it doesnt deserve it.

e/

Actually yes it does, the gearbox seems to be behaving itself now and it seems to have got a little faster, i actually like its short ratios and i dont think its box is too slow either. Defo needs a remap though, ill be popping up to leeds at 3000 miles when its been run in and if i havent killed the car yet. Im starting to smile when i drive it now.

Its got room for improvement, namely the suspension and the need for spacers. Ive got mine ll planned out now ;)

Jason i dont know how hard you drive yours but do you find the back end a little twitchy either under hard braking or going round a corner fast ?

Last edited:

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Jason i dont know how hard you drive yours but do you find the back end a little twitchy either under hard braking or going round a corner fast ?

I don't drive it that hard. But I have had it twitch out when braking (on my route every day theres a sharp bend that leads into a T junction thats often covered in crap). Also If i go over a crest of a hill i get a bit of lift off twitchyness. On roundabouts its fun :D

R26
Having my GT now for 3 weeks, I'm surprised how similar GT is to Clio RS in character. You have to rev it really high and then it delivers power, the sound (or scream, if you want) and the fun :D Clio 197 is exactly the same, nothing really happening below 4500, whilst 200 also has some low-end torque so it has more usable power range.

That character you only get with NA 16 valve engine and there were some comments how Renault Sport prefers the NA engines in Twingo RS and Clio RS (and, I guess, Clio GT) because of their immediate response (although modern turbo engines have reduced the turbo lag, there's an inherent latency between pressing the pedal and the "arrival" of power).

The Megane RS having a turbo engine, drives completely different than the Clios or Twingos. There you sort of ride on the "wave" (surge) of torque, turbine whistling behind you and you never really need to go limiter high (can't remember if the R26 even has shift-light).

I only wish my Clio GT had that eagerness to hit the red-line as Twingo RS does. But I guess that's the 5 HP difference and the different intake/ECU map... Btw, does anyone know what exactly are the differences between the Clio GT and the Twingo RS engine?

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Are both front Wheels recieving power or is it only one? I Find I get stupid amounts of wheelspin pulling out of left hand junctions but not so much right?

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Probably just the VVT kicking in, yo!

Seriously though, there is probably just a load more leaves and general shite on the left, being the gutter side. That or you can't drive? ;)

320d
Are both front Wheels recieving power or is it only one? I Find I get stupid amounts of wheelspin pulling out of left hand junctions but not so much right?

There is less traction available because that is where mud, leaves etc.

I find you getting so much wheel spin strange though. I manage not to get wheel spin in my 172 which has no TC, is on 15's, has a fair bit more power and torque than the GT and weighs less. Occasionally it will spin if your a bit quick with the clutch.

You'll be on good tyres too with it being brand new, my 1.2 used to spin like mad but that was on unbranded budgets.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I don't know mate. Maybe It's just me being a bit of a spanner! But In the wet it spins up stupid amounts for me :/

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
LOL I race them up to the speed limit then they can f**k off if there license means that little to them.

AK

M240i
LOL I race them up to the speed limit then they can f**k off if there license means that little to them.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pmutdQVbF5c&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pmutdQVbF5c&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

?