ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio engine swap

99 clio 1.2 8v
hi i have a 99 v reg clio 1.2 8v basic modle clio . i was thinking about changeing the engine and gearbox but dont no what to go for that wont take to much work. thanks

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Welcome.

The answer most will give to your question is 'don't bother'.

Clios are of an age and therefore a price to buy that it's not cost effective to be swapping engines about.

It's feasible to do but the expense makes it not a financially good plan.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Hi mate - welcome to the forum. For the cost and labour involved it probably wouldn't be worth doing. Probably cheaper to upgrade to a more modern and sportier version of the Clio.

99 clio 1.2 8v
how do i find out the engine code. only reason i was thinking about doin it is because i think the head gasket is goin

Phase 1 172
yeh not really worth it, i was going to put a 172 engine and running gear in my 1.2 8v many moons ago! after i sat down and worked out the costing and sheer amount of work i thought to myself, ill wait until i can insure a sport!

its all down to what your willing to do and how much money and effort you can put in.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
yeh not really worth it, i was going to put a 172 engine and running gear in my 1.2 8v many moons ago! after i sat down and worked out the costing and sheer amount of work i thought to myself, ill wait until i can insure a sport!

So your plan is/was to do this and not tell the DVLA/your insurer?

Clio 182
I was tinkering with the idea of putting a 172 engine in my old 1.2 16v but I decided against it for the following reasons
1. The cost worked out ridicules
2. If I didn't tell dvla/ insurance and I had a accident the ball ache and hassle would have been immense

so in the end I put all the money into savings waited a year and bought a 182