ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Dynamique 1.2 sport rep (+ OEM FF Arctic 182 content!)

T12

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco Clio 172
Hi all and welcome to my slightly overdue project thread!

Firstly a little background on me. My name is Tony, I’m currently 19 years old and living in the South East. At the age of 17 I was lucky enough to be gifted a 5-door '53 plate 1.2 16v Clio 'extreme' model. I had always liked the look of the mk2 Clio’s, and my heart was set on having one as my first car. Below are a couple of pictures of the car. Almost all pictures in this thread were taken with an iPhone, so the quality may be a little sketchy unfortunately.

IMG_0017_zpsfe9f22f6.jpg

IMG_0018_zps91ad3a43.jpg

Now for the story. In the beginning I found myself drawn to CS.net, as the child in me wanted to make my car look 'cooler'. I spent a good few months looking through content, recommendations and advice on here and, fortunately, realised that go fast stickers and loud exhausts/induction kits would simply never make any real improvements to the car. I then stumbled upon a few sport replica pages and decided this would be the route I would take -no silly mods; just a clean and tidy car that I would keep looking fairly OEM.

So the search began for a 1.2 3-door Clio, with low mileage and in 'Dynamique' spec. I stumbled across a '54 plate black Clio with just 40k on the clock and just had to take it home with me (in the meantime I sold my first Clio). Pictures below show the completely standard car I would now be looking to turn into a sport replica.

IMG_0176_zpsjbc9tlmm.jpg

IMG_0122_zpsaflgwyga.jpg

IMG_0174_zpsiboqms0l.jpg

This was approximately 6 months ago, and I will be doing my best to bring this thread right up to how the car currently sits -which is now almost complete I will add. I may get mixed up with the order I completed thing, but I'll try my best. Oh and for those of you wondering about the Arctic blue content mentioned in the title... I travelled across the country and purchased a real minter a couple of weekends ago. I had looked at a handful of FF 182's and none even came close to this car in terms of history and condition. It was completely standard, low miles, the same owner since 2006/7 and a bucket load of receipts/history with all work completed at a Renault main dealer! This car is simply too nice to spoil with aftermarket parts and mods (which I had originally planned), so I will be keeping it completely standard and well maintained -hence why it will not be given its own project thread. More on the 182 once I have the 1.2 progress up to date. Quick teaser pic below.

IMG_0454_zpswgdsjr1j.jpg

After looking around on insurance sites I am happy to say I will be running both cars as of the end of the year! I have already booked my tickets for this year’s CSS (camping both nights). I will be bringing along the 1.2 and can’t wait to meet some fellow members!

Sorry about the wordy post. Thanks for reading,
Tony

T12

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco Clio 172
Right, I will start right away with progress. I will point out now that I didn't/don't have extensive knowledge with tools/cars, and will be using this project as a learning curve for the future (cant beat hands on). Firstly I decided the car needed a good clean on the inside. The previous owner was a female (and the only previous owner before her was her husband), and by the looks of it the car was used for the school run. I decided my best approach would be to remove all the rear seats, parcel shelf, boot carpet, isofix bar etc. and give the entire half of the car a complete clean. I found chewing gum, sweets, muck, wrappers and all sorts in the back, but after a good scrub it came up pretty nice.

IMG_0124_zpsxhfvmrw6.jpg

Now slightly before the arrival of this car I had purchased a complete 172 interior in very good condition. I had spent numerous hours applying leather cleaner, leather protection, Raceglaze alcantara cleaner and removing the bobbles with the JML De-bobbler. Turns out im a little OCD, and I like everything in tip-top condition!! Now while I had the rear seats out, I thought I'd remove the standard rear door cards as well and fit the alcantara sport cards and the rear seats.

Door cards came off nice and easy.
IMG_0157_zpszfzj0r2a.jpg

IMG_0158_zpso9g0h8mx.jpg

Unfortunately at this point things were put on hold as a problem was found -gutted so early on. After removing the rear insulation, I noticed this...

IMG_0160_zpspkvywlvl.jpg

It turns out this hole, drilled through the rear arch, was used to correct some car park knocks along the side panel. Unfortunately whoever completed the work did not feel it necessary to plug the whole. Managed to get a few sample stoppers through in the post after a couple of days and fortunately one fit in perfectly. This then allowed me to complete fitting of the rear interior, which I feel absolutely transformed the back of the car!

IMG_0173_zpsjnfpoo0b.jpg

IMG_0178_zpshfqdxr8g.jpg

IMG_0180_zpsb1ebed2v.jpg

IMG_0182_zpsiztlgxb7.jpg

That's all for now. I will update again very soon.
Thanks,
Tony

T12

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco Clio 172
Nice 182 mate ! Looking forward to updates !

Thanks mate. Spent plenty of time searching for it, becoming increasingly frustrated, and travelling all over the country to view mediocre cars that the owners believed were 'immaculate/superb condition'. But i'm glad I held out and found the 'right' one in the end. Stay tuned for the updates..!

clio campus sport
Thanks mate. Spent plenty of time searching for it, becoming increasingly frustrated, and travelling all over the country to view mediocre cars that the owners believed were 'immaculate/superb condition'. But i'm glad I held out and found the 'right' one in the end. Stay tuned for the updates..!
I had trouble searching for the perfect 1.2 haha ! Stumbled across my one with 28k on the clock 12 months mot and tax full serivce history 6 month warranty all for 2k !! Had to have it :)

T12

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco Clio 172
I had trouble searching for the perfect 1.2 haha ! Stumbled across my one with 28k on the clock 12 months mot and tax full serivce history 6 month warranty all for 2k !! Had to have it :smile:

Sounds like you got yourself a great deal there, really low miler aswell! Finding the perfect 2.0 (182 in my case) was even worse -so many trashed examples, you need a lot of patience trust me.

T12

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco Clio 172
Am I missing something? I'm falling asleep typing this so probably have bit why didn't the car have sport seats as standard?

The sport seats were going into the second black 1.2 I pictured in my original post (this is mainly a project thread for that car). The 182 content will come later on; as I plan to keep it OE, so a thread of its own wouldn't be very exciting. Hope that makes sense. I will put it down to your tiredness ;)

T12

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco Clio 172
It was now time to focus on the front half of the cars interior. I whipped off the old door cards and various bits of plastic trim, and then set to work getting the old cloth seats out -ready to put these in.

IMG_0072_zpshy1rtyyw.jpg

Although the picture above doesn't show it particularly well, these seats were fairly dirty and bobbled when I got them and were in need of a good clean. Once again I used leather cleaner, protected with a layer of leather care balm, hoover, alcantara cleaner and finally removal of the bobbles. They were then ready to be put in my car.

Now on removal of my cloth seats, the carpet and surrounding area looked really filthy. There was no way in the world this was being left like that, so I spent a good 15mins getting it as spotless as possible, before dropping the new seats in.

IMG_0187_zps0jz6ljk3.jpg

IMG_0190_zps1i9ajkru.jpg

Sort of direct comparison, makes a huge difference in my opinion. Having used these for 4-5months I can safely say they are head and shoulders more comfortable than the original cloth seats, particularly on long journeys.
IMG_0191_zpsvmg79w17.jpg

Drivers side given a good going over too.
IMG_0193_zpsiekslavg.jpg

And the finished article!
IMG_0195_zpsjuk6f3qu.jpg

I also put the front alcantara door cards in at this point, but didn't take any pictures. It was a frustrating job getting them correctly placed, but several snapped clips later (fortunately had ample spares to use), they went in correctly. I then got out the interior clean and went over the door cards, trim, dash, steering wheel and any other bits that needed a good clean. At this point I'd say the entire interior on the car was spotless, and I have kept it near enough like this through my entire ownership. Now any of you with an eye for details probably noticed my dash strips/gear insert were missing. These were next for an overhaul!

Thanks for reading, more to come soon guys!
Tony

clio campus sport
That interior looks great ! i really want to swap mine but i dont have the space to keep my old one while its for sale :( a garage clear out is in order haha !

T12

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco Clio 172
That interior looks great ! i really want to swap mine but i dont have the space to keep my old one while its for sale 😧 a garage clear out is in order haha !

I would highly recommend the interior change mate, if space allows of course (get that garage cleared out asap!). My parents weren't particularly happy with the cloth seats laying around the house/garage for over a month hah. In the end I sold the cloth seats for the same price I paid for the leather seats, so basically a free upgrade!

1.2 clio dynamique
looking great mate. i have a PB 1.2 and will be looking to do the sport interior aswell. im just learning at the moment so bare with me. how did you go about removing the front seats? did you have to disconnect the battery to diasble the airbag?

T12

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco Clio 172
looking great mate. i have a PB 1.2 and will be looking to do the sport interior aswell. im just learning at the moment so bare with me. how did you go about removing the front seats? did you have to disconnect the battery to diasble the airbag?

Sorry mate, only just saw this message.
Each front seat is secured in place by four bolts, which are removed from under the car. There is a rubber stopper/bung which first needs to be popped out, to gain access to the bolts (you should see them once looking underneath). Some people jack the car up to make for easier access, but I had enough room to shuffle under and undo the bolts with a socket, without the need for raising it. Once the bolts are removed simply disconnect the wiring under the seat and lift out.

Yes I did disconnect the battery when doing this. If you unplug the airbag sensor under the seat without disconnecting the battery, you will get the airbag warning light on the dash. I have heard mixed reports whether plugging it back in makes the light go out, or it may need taking to a garage to have the fault code cleared. Either way I wasn't taking any chances, and disconnected the battery at the beginning and didn't reconnect it till I had fully fitted both seats and had plugged everything back in.

I hope this helped.
Tony

T12

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco Clio 172
Right, time for a quick update. No real big changes in this post, but a few smaller things which still deserve a mention. Now the original alloys were in pretty good condition, and only had a few light marks and minor kerbing, but the perfectionist I am decided I would hunt for a new set. I didn't realise at the time, but it turns out the 172 style alloy wheels that come on the 1.2's (15inch) are actually quite rare and hard to get hold of -as they were only used for a short time on the high spec models. Fortunately I stumbled across this fantastic set, completely clear of damage/marks, and even an added bonus of new continental tyres!

IMG_0007_zpslcgwtla6.jpg

IMG_0029_zpsgr25utfc.jpg

IMG_0030_zps8yqmpcgu.jpg

These may have only made a marginal improvement on the car, but its often the little details that make all the difference. -I still have the original set should anybody wish to purchase them, they are just taking up space so open to offers.

Next up was more interior improvements. I decided I would upgrade the lighting and go for LED bulbs. I didn't want anything really bright, and opted to change both the interior and map light, plus the boot light. The led colour is a lot nicer than the originals -more of white/blue light, opposed to the dated yellow colour. I also took a few pictures of the bulbs for anyone thinking of doing the same. (links for purchasing can be supplied if needed). Unfortunately these pics were all taken in daylight, so not the best representation but you get the idea.

Before
IMG_0126_zpshcygrliq.jpg

Old bulb in the holder
IMG_0127_zpsewg9v69a.jpg

New LED bulb (sorry for crappy pic)
IMG_0129_zpssesr1y0t.jpg

New light in place
IMG_0130_zpsxwonw2rj.jpg

Now onto the interior lights-
IMG_0161_zpsmlkb6mub.jpg

For anyone wanting to know, this is what the rear of the light fixture looks like. The part lit up is the bulb holder, simply twist to remove. Its the same for the map light on the other side, just out of shot.
IMG_0166_zpsbqz9xgmc.jpg

Old bulb and the LED bulb
IMG_0167_zpszj2afnmw.jpg

Finished product
IMG_0169_zpsxskxcjuf.jpg

LEDs must be put the correct way round in order to function. I simply used trial and error until both lights worked as they should. I might look to upgrade these again soon (for a larger LED panel), but its not urgent on my to-do list.
I think i will leave it there for today. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks
Tony

T12

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco Clio 172
Those seats came up well!

Airbag light will self clear

Yeah they came up a lot better than I expected. :up:

And thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't sure so took the safe option. I had to cut the connectors off my old seats and solder them to new ones, as they had been cut. :/ All lights stayed out though so worked out alright in the end.

T12

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco Clio 172
I will first pop up a picture of the exterior of the car and show how it sat at this point, standard and very dull -with emphasis on the side strips/door handles.
IMG_0176_zpsjbc9tlmm.jpg

Anyway, time for my next update. - colour coding!
Contradictory of the picture above, I first made some changes to the rest of my interior. I decided I would paint my dash strips, and for this I had to pick a colour scheme. I went with an old, proven favourite and chose red and black. I picked up some primer, pearl black paint and some 2k lacquer and went to work in my makeshift heated spray booth. Before any sanding took place I took a few pictures of the existing strips, so I knew exactly where the placement of the stickers would be. I picked up a red sticker set from n2Graphix(?). At the same time I bought a good condition RenaultSport steering wheel, which allowed me to do the wheel insert too.

An example of one of the pictures I took for positioning purposes (again this was the perfectionist in me coming through).
IMG_0209_zpskigils6b.jpg

And an example of how they came out. I was very happy with the finish. These were completely sanded back, then I applied a plastic primer, a couple of coats of paint and then the lacquer. (sorry the picture is rotated)
IMG_0215_zpsbnxcow8z.jpg

Then one Saturday I swapped the wheel out the old wheel and popped in the new one, plus all the painted parts.

Old wheel
IMG_0327_zpsz41en0iq.jpg

New wheel with the painted bits all fitted.
IMG_0386_zps4zdfplza.jpg

IMG_0223_zpsh6n5ttxa.jpg

The only other part of car I decided to run the colour theme was the mats. I went for a custom tailored set, with leather edging and red stitching, plus logo. Unfortunately the sun/camera distorted the colour of the logo, but I can assure you its a deep red that matches up lovely (not that odd orangey colour).
IMG_0387_zps0otd1fqr.jpg

IMG_0388_zpsrijcdyci.jpg

Now at the same time as all this painting, I decided I would also do my bump strips, bullets (in silver) and door handles, as I was fed up with the textured plastic finish. Fortunately for me, being the Dynamique spec, the car came with colour coded wing mirrors. Below are a couple of pics of them complete and back on the car. - I didn't take any during painting im afraid. Also a quick note, I plan to do the boot button at some point.

IMG_0230_zpsoplbuh1o.jpg

IMG_0240_zpso1lz5ujq.jpg

IMG_0476_zps30dbeyfz.jpg

IMG_0474_zpsnsiro2jn.jpg

Not the best picture, but shows the effect the subtle changes have made. Unfortunately it also shows that awful arch gap...
IMG_0392_zpscgwgczat.jpg

I have a couple more interior updates to do, then I'll get onto the exterior changes. Im trying to keep things in chronological order, and that is the order I went with. Stay tuned for more!

Feel free to leave comments below. Feedback/criticism always welcome.
Thanks for reading
Tony

Corolla T-Sport
Like what you've done so far mate, keep it coming. What are the quality and fit of this mats like? They have been sat in my eBay watch list for over a month, just can't bring myself to spend £25 without seeing them.

T12

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco Clio 172
Like what you've done so far mate, keep it coming. What are the quality and fit of this mats like? They have been sat in my eBay watch list for over a month, just can't bring myself to spend £25 without seeing them.

I cant fault the quality of the mats so far, they seem decent. I have no idea how long they will last though, as I've only used them in for around 5 months. Stitching is good, and they look the part. The logo is a little 'flat' if that makes sense. The fit is pretty accurate, I can get some more close up photos of them soon for you if you like mate? (probably next Saturday). I will most likely be changing them again soon, but that's not a reflection on them, just a change in direction for the car.

T12

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco Clio 172
Right another update, just to finish up the interior updates. -Sorry for some of poor picture quality in places.

Firstly I got out the hairdryer and white spirit out, and set to work removing the Renault window stickers. I removed the side window stickers (shown below) and then the rear window 'ELF' one.
IMG_0221_zpscwv0jgp4.jpg

I forgot to post this picture earlier in the thread so here are the front door cards in place.
IMG_0226_zpsgvkitney.jpg

Now you'll notice the front speakers were not put back in place; that's because I decided I'd take the opportunity to upgrade to a set with a little more power. As they cannot be seen, I could fit aftermarket speakers, and they would not affect the OEM+ look I was going for. I settled for some pioneer speakers, in the same size as the standards (13cm).

IMG_0235_zpsbgtfogkf.jpg

IMG_0236_zpslwjbt5xo.jpg

And here they are fitted in the car. They did require a small amount of soldering/crimping to be fully functional.
IMG_0247_zpspuaykl4y.jpg

Next up were the seatbelts. I had used the jet wash, soapy bucket of water technique to clean them up, but I still felt they looked out of place in the car, being silver. I decided I would purchase and fit some black belts. I bought them off a fellow member on here and got them all cleaned up ready. I stripped the interior back once more, and swapped the silver for the black. I much prefer the look of them now.

To clean up the originals I pulled them out fully and trapped them in the door.
IMG_0145_zpsj4dxd1in.jpg

IMG_0143_zpshrf6sbea.jpg

I then got a warm soapy bucket of water, scrubbed the belts with a brush and then left them to soak. The part of the belt not in soak is the bit that goes back into the roll, so it was clean and didn't need any attention. After being left for 20-30mins in soak, I then jet washed them and allowed to dry (got absolutely soaked!).
IMG_0146_zpstqcp6ihk.jpg

Didn't take any before/after photos but here's one of the rear silver belt, and then the black ones I changed too.
IMG_0292_zpseiivxeru.jpg

Much better!
IMG_0294_zpspmvkgxej.jpg

Poor quality but you get the idea.
IMG_0297_zps95pc72ha.jpg

At this point I think almost every part of the interior had been addressed. It was then time to add a couple of accessories to finish it off. I stumbled upon a black first aid kit and just had to have it.
IMG_0375_zpsxdddp0rp.jpg

It fit really nicely into the underseat storage compartment.
IMG_0376_zps5vr8of2e.jpg

I then had to add an air freshener. I settled on this beauty - I bought 4 in total for less than £2 each, so im set for at least a year.
IMG_0377_zpsnrpvhilf.jpg

Fitted nicely into the cup holder
IMG_0378_zpskun8tyqz.jpg

And that's it for the interior until present day. I pretty much addressed every part I could, but I do have some big plans/changes in the pipeline which will be coming in soon I hope!

Thanks for reading,
Tony

Corolla T-Sport
I cant fault the quality of the mats so far, they seem decent. I have no idea how long they will last though, as I've only used them in for around 5 months. Stitching is good, and they look the part. The logo is a little 'flat' if that makes sense. The fit is pretty accurate, I can get some more close up photos of them soon for you if you like mate? (probably next Saturday). I will most likely be changing them again soon, but that's not a reflection on them, just a change in direction for the car.
Sounds like i'll be buying myself a set then. Don't worry too much about more pictures, they are better than the Peugeot ones I have in currently! Cheers mate.

T12

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco Clio 172
Time for another update.
My first job to tidy up the outside of the car was to remove the fried egg effect from the headlights/taillights. For those of you not aware what the 'fried egg' effect is, its when the amber indicator bulbs reflect in the light housing and cause a ghastly orange mess. A cheap, and rather effective way to tidy up the overall appearance of a car, is to swap these bulbs for silvervision bulbs. These are bulbs which still flash amber/orange when in use, but have a chrome effect on the bulb. For reference, below are the philips silvervision bulbs I used -I bought 2 packs for £10, which was an absolute steal.
_571_zpsybjc9vfw.jpg

This is how the front end started out.. and you can see the amber colour in the headlights.
IMG_0225_zps4n1huicl.jpg

IMG_0234_zpsjxdoapxr.jpg

Amber bulbs (poor quality I know).
IMG_0232_zpswpke5xis.jpg

IMG_0241_zpsiv7lqo9f.jpg

I then fitted the bulbs, took around 10mins to change all four over (fronts were a little fiddly).
IMG_0248_zpsfluonqhv.jpg

IMG_0485_zps1qjy32v4.jpg

Next up was the front upper grille. I will let the pictures do the talking, makes a massive difference in my opinion.
IMG_0252_zpstssbjof1.jpg

After
IMG_0260_zpskrnkncif.jpg

I then decided I would address the number plate issue, as the ones fitted were absolutely disgusting. I went for clean fresh plates, nothing fancy. Anyone with an eye for detail will also notice I shortened my aerial (second pic). -I can provide a link to this if neccesary.
IMG_0480_zpsgwltapjr.jpg

IMG_0384_zpsjadhsvki.jpg

The final front end issue that was letting it down was the cracked fog light.
IMG_0267_zpsxgmkmycv.jpg

To ge this changed it was either an up and under job, or bumper off. I decided i'd leave that decision to the garage, who were kind enough to fit the new one for me. This was at the same time I had the car ftted with a new cambelt/water pump, a complete service and an MOT (passed with no advisories), costing a total of £532.

New foglight fitted
IMG_0479_zpsfbxuqznk.jpg

And this is the new, refreshed front end. This is how it currently sits, but may be changed soon.
IMG_0481_zpsqs4xcgt1.jpg

Thats all for now. Thanks for reading.
Tony

T12

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco Clio 172
Update time. -Think this might bring me up to date.
I picked up a good condition rear bumper from a 172 for £35, stripped off the small parts on it and began prepping for paint. I got it all sanded back, then went over it with a couple of layers of primer, then got some filler primer in the two small chips and it was then all sanded down smooth ready to go off for paint (thought I'd save some money on prep -he did a little of his own at the shop). After a week eagerly waiting I went and picked up my freshly painted bumper ready for fitting.

IMG_0405_zpsg8tl0d2z.jpg

I will go straight into the pictures
Before (car looking a bit dirty I know)
IMG_0404_zpslqycei5a.jpg

During - cleaned up what I could as I went
IMG_0407_zpsmdgwrgrc.jpg

After fitting and a wash (bumper was well polished so doesn't look like a good match in next pic)
IMG_0425_zps1aotrzse.jpg

Also put a new number plate light in
IMG_0408_zpsyu4ytqoj.jpg

Next up was addressing the tractor-like stance. After some thought I ordered and received these in the post
IMG_0324_zpsiuynmwu3.jpg

Here's a quick shot before fitting the springs, note the massive arch gap!!
IMG_0392_zpscgwgczat.jpg

The night before attempting the spring swap I put some WD40 on the bolts, as I heard they can be really stiff/corroded and make removing the shocks a nightmare. Fortunately I didn't have any major problems getting them off the following day, so I'd highly recommend soaking them if your thinking of changing your springs. A quick comparison between the eibachs and the standard OE springs.
IMG_0394_zpslj07msir.jpg

After a bit of cleaning and then fiddling to get them sitting right, I was left with this.
IMG_0396_zpsuvdgalda.jpg

After cleaning out the arches I refitted the shocks and their new springs in place
IMG_0395_zpsskoyjiyk.jpg

Obviously I did the rears aswell, but didn't bother with any pictures (can do if needed). Below is the lower stance after allowing a bit of time for them to set in -had no problems with them to date. I know they aren't really low like some would like to see (coilovers did cross my mind), but the eibach's provide a nice lower ride height, but don't really compromise the ride too much. This is ideal for me as I use the car daily for commuting. Handling into corners at speed feels a lot nicer now, a lot less body roll and instability like before. Really happy!
IMG_0493_zpshkqctudm.jpg

And a cheeky shot of the aerial. The civic aerial I bought first (due to recommendations on here) hung way over the base of the aerial when fitted and it just didn't look right in my opinion. I picked this one up for a tenner and its a lot better IMO.
IMG_0402_zps6gytcwle.jpg

I think that is the build all up to date. I have some plans in the coming weeks, but for now here's a few quick snaps I've grabbed in the last couple of days.
IMG_0379_zpsidcttnb6.jpg

IMG_0446_zpssw6281qe.jpg

IMG_0488_zps0ncgcgcx.jpg

IMG_0497_zpsppum4xai.jpg

Thanks for reading, suggestions for the future and comments/criticism welcome.
Tony

T12

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco Clio 172
Looks great ! Paint is mint ! Really nice colour to polish/wax :up:

Thanks mate, I almost always give it a full clean (sometimes polish) inside and out on weekends, so the car stays mint 95% of the time. The paintwork comes up nice, but im forever finding small imperfections in it I don't like.. i guess im a bit OCD.

In answer to your other question, Eibach say that the sportlines lower the car anywhere between 45-50mm. My insurance company (maybe not just them) have a threshold for lowering a car. If you lower a car 50mm or less, you get a tiny increase in premium. If you lower a car by more than 50mm and declare it, it gets pretty expensive. I declared all my mods, including lowering, and it only cost me an extra £65 for the year.

T12

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco Clio 172
Next update.

I decided I would revert back to a more 172 OEM look so set about going down the black/silver interior theme. I removed the red/black interior bits and purchased this lovely snappy re-trimmed steering wheel, with silver stitching and band.

IMG_0503_zpsu5su49di.jpg

I also purchased a silver carbon effect dash trim set, found on the 172's. I had a day off work on Tuesday so set about fitting it all. I disconnected the battery beforehand, to reduce the risk of the airbag going off during the wheel swap. As I'd done this before it was a pretty quick swap, and after 30-45mins I was left with this.

IMG_0505_zpsozzqy5vt.jpg

IMG_0513_zpstcrv2hdj.jpg

The leather feels great, the quality is fantastic and the changes have completely changed the feel of the car inside. I am now trying to source a set of genuine RenaultSport mats, so give me a shout if you have some you'd be willing to part with. I chucked some old mats in the car I dug out of the garage for the time being.
Keep an eye out in the for sale section, I'll be sticking my red/black interior bits up for sale very soon.

Next up I decided I would swap out my rear exhaust mount, as the current one was badly perished and in need of refreshing. I had enough room to make the swap without needing to jack the car up and removing the wheel -but this would probably make it easier. This is how it looked fitted, handing low and badly worn.
IMG_0509_zpsudxbsh4v.jpg

I whipped it off, the offending article!
IMG_0510_zpsglpsdtzq.jpg

And replaced with a new one
IMG_0508_zpsqepmlh0a.jpg

And the new one in (didn't bother breaking the extra rubber in the gaps)
IMG_0511_zps4geljeif.jpg

Next small update was a washer jet change. I picked up a brand new set of mist-style Citroen washer jets for a fiver. The original Renault set have two single jets (you all know how they squirt). They also stick up fairly high when fitted.

Old
IMG_0514_zps5rm16o3q.jpg

Here are the new Citroen ones fitted. They are a lot lower and sleeker, and are a straight swap that only took 10mins tops.
IMG_0516_zpsxagg8txs.jpg

I don't have a before/after video to show, as my washer pump is on its way out, but below is a video of them in action on another members Clio. Note the much improved coverage of the screen.

Next up was kick plates/door sills. I was fed up with the sight of the light paint scratches that had occurred when people have climbed in and out of the car in the past. This picture shows a few of them (sunlight has ruined a few of the following pics).
IMG_0518_zpsqwrrnjvq.jpg

I picked up a set of RenaultSport kick plates.
IMG_0517_zpsm7ksbnt6.jpg

I bought some thin (but very strong) double sided tape from Halfords. I laid three strips on the back of both sills like so..
IMG_0519_zpsmuvvwwnb.jpg

And then fitted nicely in place
IMG_0520_zpsng9kvsnf.jpg

IMG_0521_zpsezgu6asx.jpg

That's all for now, thanks
Tony

RB182
Good job.
one thing tho. Are they definitely 16" 172 wheels?
They seem small in the pics lol. More like 1.2 15" wheels :tongueout:

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Excellent progress mate. It's really coming along.

I'd recommend putting something in between the gaps of the new exhaust mounts or else it will fail fairly soon again. Hard bits of pipe or old sockets or you'll be back to square one in a few months.

T12

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco Clio 172
My bad. They are 15". Just re read the posts. Doh!

Yes mate they are the 15's. I considered the 16's from a 172 but haven't seen any decent sets come up for sale, and it would also need declaring on insurance so im in no rush for that.

Excellent progress mate. It's really coming along.

I'd recommend putting something in between the gaps of the new exhaust mounts or else it will fail fairly soon again. Hard bits of pipe or old sockets or you'll be back to square one in a few months.

Thanks mate, its not far off the finished article now. I'd like to do the bumper/wings/skirts change, but sourcing 1*2 arches can be a real pig, and with painting costs and spacers it could get very expensive very quick (probably not worth it on a 1.2 I may only have for another year or so).

Blimey, didn't realise they could fail that quickly. I have seen a few threads with people using sockets and cable ties to support/secure the rubber, but figured I'd have a couple of years out this one yet so I wouldn't need to. Might look into it getting something sorted for that now though, thanks for the heads up!

T12

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco Clio 172
Although photos were taken of the following process I never continued to update this thread so Ill quickly summarise what's changed. I continued the build and fitted the following

- Team Heko wind deflectors
- New wiper arms front and rear
- New washer pump
- Boot net
- Xenon headlights
- Skoda Splitter
- Cup spoiler
- Club sticker in rear window + CS15 sticker

The car was pretty much where I wanted it so I continued to enjoy driving it for a few months ensuring it remained clean and tidy. It made the trip to CS15 with me and on returning I decided it was time I moved to a faster motor and settled on finding a 172 in Monaco blue (the best colour for them in my opinion). I actually sold the sports replica to my sister in December 2015 as she knew the time, effort and money i had spent on meticulously sorting and maintaining this car -she got it for a steal! ;D

Now onto my 172 search. I eventually purchased one with 71K on the clock from the Birmingham area, and it came back down to Kent on the very same day. The car was almost completely standard at this point and a great starting point for a new challenge. You can find the link to my new project thread below:

http://www.cliosport.net/threads/t12s-monaco-blue-172.788152/

I will leave this thread here now. I enjoyed every minute with this car and I hope the pictures, explanations and comments seen up above will help and encourage others to do similar with their non-sports.

Thanks for reading!
Tony

Clio 1.2 impreza wrx
Stumbled across this whilst looking for a guide to changing the interior in my commuter.
Really good read mate.
Doing up my little 1.2 now I've got the bug, literally haha.
Got a bug wrx uk300 too but being a bit of a ham fisted caveman I don't want to butcher it

Reactions: T12