ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio = dirty money pit !!!

clio 172cup
Ahhh just had the worst news ever .... had a mechanic friend take the clio away to check a suspected wheel bearing :/ and come back with a massive list wrong :( the noise is infact the rear caliper trying to hang on or something , the back box has just decided to fall off , front wishbone is mullered ( apparently its not ment to pull like it does when you boot it) , bush on the rear is mullered ....where do i start ! only had the thing a few months and its already had desphaser and belts done , new front discs and pads , new rear shocks and a new lambda sensor oh and always needs a new centre pipe ...boooo hoooo !!! Where do i start on my measley wages !

had the pug 4yrs and never spent no where near that much on it ! I'll just await everyone i know who told me not to get a french car to give it the whole ''i told you so''

think i might go sit in a corner and cry now

had the pug 4yrs and never spent no where near that much on it ! I'll just await everyone i know who told me not to get a french car to give it the whole ''i told you so''

:S

Anyway. Cars go wrong. Those are just items that will need replacing at one stage. Get them done and enjoy it. Cars are expensive.

182 Cup
Mine went in last week with a suspected wheel bearing problem. Thankfully it was just that! However i've just bought 4 new tyres as 450 quid!!!!! I had a peugoet 206 before and never spent anywhere near as much !!!!!!!!!

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I'm guessing you must have known the belts and dephaser would need doing when you bought it? When you buy your next car, take along a mechanic or pay for an aa inspection - that would be my advice.

clio 172cup
ive always argued that ...all cars get old and wear out not just french ones !!!

And yeh cars do wrong im not that stupid ! but just a bit disheartening when youve only had it 5mins and its cost your fortunes you dont have !

paid £2600 for it ...i was robbed !

and oh yeh i forget its also had 4 brand new yokos

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Ahhh just had the worst news ever .... had a mechanic friend take the clio away to check a suspected wheel bearing :/ and come back with a massive list wrong :( the noise is infact the rear caliper trying to hang on or something , the back box has just decided to fall off , front wishbone is mullered ( apparently its not ment to pull like it does when you boot it) , bush on the rear is mullered ....where do i start ! only had the thing a few months and its already had desphaser and belts done , new front discs and pads , new rear shocks and a new lambda sensor oh and always needs a new centre pipe ...boooo hoooo !!! Where do i start on my measley wages !

think i might go sit in a corner and cry now

How much did you pay for it just out of intrest ??

Not wishing to sound harsh but sounds like you bought one of these BARGAIN 1*2s that people keep saying you can buy for cheap money with no problems !!
For what you will spend to get it done you could have bought one with nothing wrong less money overall.
They are not a bargain in the long run , but sorry to hear that and hope you get it sorted.

Audi TTS S Tronic
Had my brand new Corsa VXR Burg for 3 months now

Car was keyed both front wings the day I got it...
needed two new front tires due to sidewall damage caused by s**t on the roads... £170 EACH! (225 35 18 conti contact 3s)
Have a blowing exhaust...

Doesn't matter what make car, whether it's new or old...

Fiesta ST200
Mate it doesnt end, trust me.

Ive had a piece of road spring fall out the back of my car today, luckily Ive ordered some eibach sportlines already.

Front wheel bearing needs replacing, expensive on a cup. Two front tyres need replacing. Goodyear eagle F1's.

A rabbit has f**ked my girlle up last night and potentially an air con condenser.

The worst part, new airbag ECU on friday. v expensive.

But it all needs to be done, just enjoy it when its running right :)

Alpina B3, 172, 325i
just think how well it will go with the work done, and how much you'll be able to enjoy it for thousands of miles to come. Truly crap news to get this list but you should have a really solid cup after that (unless it's one of those unloved wrecks, but you wouldn't have bought one of them, right?)

clio 172cup
oh very bad times !!! ....i knew i should of studied mechanics at college and not bloody horses !!! Might of come in slightly more handy :p

Sounds like my car I have pretty much replaced the whole car it's not worth the money tbh should have just bought a different more reliable car!

Had 2 sets of belts and pulleys
2 water pumps
A new engine
New cylinder head
New coil pack
New exhaust
2 sets of wheels
Wishbone
Inner tie rod and drop links
New throttle body

Yadda yadda yadda

Sad truth is I payed up :'(

So You paid £2600 for it spent circa £1400 on it so a £4k car overall! Whats the body and interior condition like?

The way i see it for £4.5K-5K you can get a very very well maintained and mear perfect condition 1*2. The reason these cars are so cheap at the moment is there is one hell of alot out there with problems which people cannot afford or don't want to pay out on looking after them "correctly" so they are sold on cheap to get shot of it!

Hence so many knocking about sub £2k with an extensive amount of work needed on them.!!

IMO the price you paid was around about right..I'am yet to see one of these cheap" minters"

Yes there is most likely the odd lucky person who has landed a bargain at avery low price and not needing much or any work doing to it.

I have my bright blue flame suit on today so i'm ready;)

Hope you sort the car out and as said above enjoy it

Welcome to Renaultsport ownership

If you want a minter set aside circa £4.5k or expect hefty up keep bills

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I paid less for my cup knowing I'd have to done some bits to it. I'm happy to do this because then I know when and where important bits like the cambelt etc have been done.

clio 172cup
yes ! lot of sense in what you are saying .....interior was mint n so was exterior all but a couple of little dinks

and yes its a major nuisance will be nice when its done having the peace of mind etc

And thanks :)

1.2 16v clio
yikes it sounded like my car just after Christmas when i had the clutch go and once i got that fixed the water pump failed on me and i mean straight after lol

you can try some of that by your self just take your time :) but personally i would go to another garage and get it checked just in case they are trying to get more work

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
So You paid £2600 for it spent circa £1400 on it so a £4k car overall! Whats the body and interior condition like?

The way i see it for £4.5K-5K you can get a very very well maintained and mear perfect condition 1*2. The reason these cars are so cheap at the moment is there is one hell of alot out there with problems which people cannot afford or don't want to pay out on looking after them "correctly" so they are sold on cheap to get shot of it!

Hence so many knocking about sub £2k with an extensive amount of work needed on them.!!

IMO the price you paid was around about right..I'am yet to see one of these cheap" minters"

Yes there is most likely the odd lucky person who has landed a bargain at avery low price and not needing much or any work doing to it.

I have my bright blue flame suit on today so i'm ready;)

Hope you sort the car out and as said above enjoy it

Welcome to Renaultsport ownership

If you want a minter set aside circa £4.5k or expect hefty up keep bills

This is SO true .

(Dashes off to get flame suit also :D )

clio 172cup
yikes it sounded like my car just after Christmas when i had the clutch go and once i got that fixed the water pump failed on me and i mean straight after lol

you can try some of that by your self just take your time :) but personally i would go to another garage and get it checked just in case they are trying to get more work

Haha i would LOVE to try this myself quite into cars etc and dont mind getting my hands dirty, although im not stupid and have some basic knowledge its probs safer if i leave it to the men ! haha

RB 182 FF
This is the minefield of buying cars..... Unfortunately sometimes you can just get unlucky, even if you have checked over the car as best you can. For this reason I try not to buy too many cars, maybe change every 4 years or so if I can, it's nice to know your car inside out but even then there is no guarantee that you escape big bills. But we buy these cars because we love them right... I love my 182 and if it throws up big bills at some point I'll tey my best do deal with it:D

BurnyC

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
Yep - I did as much research as I could before buying, picked a car with full service history, recent belt changes, receipts, looked tidy blah blah. and there are still niggles with it. Discovered a rear shock had gone a few weeks down the road so replaced those, exhaust has now started blowing plus a few other small niggles that all build up so going to try and get all those sorted at the MOT.

When you have a list of things to replace you think 'should I just change the car?' but that won't work. Changing car usually ends up costing you more than you thought for one reason or another, and again, there's absolutely no guarantee that a new car won't have problems/something won't go wrong a month down the line that'll cost you just as much as your previous car. Best bet is to stick with it, try and get everything done and up to scratch, and know there are at least a few less things to worry about for a while. As they say, 'better the devil you know'! (Unless the car is truly screwed...;)). Any car over a few years old will have parts wearing out and need replacing - I just see it as a part of car ownership these days!

Clio 172 Cup
Well I have had the clio about 3 years now and loved every minute that I have spent driving it. However it was off the road last year for about 6 months just kept finding things wrong had to reconditioned all the brakes and that was just the start off it. But when you are putting 16 k + a year on a car you expect things to go wrong.

Renault Traffic
Ouch :( i dont care what anyone says abotu french cars being reliable i have had 3 182s now and a 172 and never had any hassle, some cars just have bad luck

It's nothing to do with "omg you bought french you will get problems"

Had you inspected the car in the first place I imagine most of those would be showing early signs of failure? Checking cambelt is done etc is just common practice so you in turn screwed yourself over!

I know it sucks, and I don't know much about cars myself, but get more background information first before buying!

clio 172cup
i never said i blamed the manufacture ???...was saying that my car ..which is a clio ..is taking a lot of my money right now, Im really not that naive ...yes at the end of the day things get old and wear out on any car. And if i myself thought ''omg its french it'll have problems '' i would never of replaced my 106 with another french car.

and as for checking it over ...we did our best !!! im sure im not the only person in the world to have brought a car that doesnt have a full extensive service history and is in perfect working condition and needs nothing done what so ever.

But there you go. At the end of the day its now my job to make it right , and at least ill have the peace of mind its fairly sound car and know for sure whats been done